UrukDroid (Android) - developers ONLY thread

Search This thread

$aur0n

Nov 27, 2010
How did you do that without removing the archos kernel?

We should facet the facts - it's pure magic :eek:

Yesterday I was playing with upgrading kernel/initram from system level - and finished it yesterday :) During this I found it's enough to modify (exactly like boot menu does) boot parameter that boot loader reads and goes to sde kernel - not stock one.

ps. and we need New Logo... :/

$aur0n

Nov 27, 2010
picture.php

New Logo - since I had to change logo (details in user thread - somewhere around 1010 ;) ). New one is certainly free (PublicDomain) - it will stay for as long as we won't have something better - or for good ;)

UrukDroid-logo.svg (use inkscape to edit)
UrukDroid_banner_A70.png
UrukDroid_banner_A70.xcf (gimp image format - with layers)

Last edited:

cheefy

Dec 18, 2010
I'm sorry. Here we go. It was a last change i made before uploading. now i should work fine.

BTW: nice new logo, much more nicer than the old one :D

Attachments

• uruksafe.sh.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 6

snickle

Sep 6, 2009
I've updated update file, except previous changes it also has services modification, usbnet modules, dvb changes (yesterday I'v made some streaming server on Uruk - it was watchable - even locally), governor module, mediaupdater fixes...). Kernel and zImage are also updated - but flashing is not necessary.

Edit: I had dropbox synchronization disabled - files were updated on server on 15:24 (time of writing this update)

The latest one runs well. Love the mediaupdater fixes.

Anything in specific you would like me testing or trying to fix/break?

Tsusai

Aug 29, 2010
Was killing more time at work again. Was trying to play with motorola droid source from CVPCS (the Gem ROMS), and I remember & tested that i could do ifconfig tiwlan0 in a terminal and get a response, and saw a wpa_supplicant_6 folder with mentions of being version 6 in the readme. Was this the info you were needing?

$aur0n

Nov 27, 2010
Was killing more time at work again. Was trying to play with motorola droid source from CVPCS (the Gem ROMS), and I remember & tested that i could do ifconfig tiwlan0 in a terminal and get a response, and saw a wpa_supplicant_6 folder with mentions of being version 6 in the readme. Was this the info you were needing?

I must say - I'm lost. Tried to find in previous posts - but without luck. What are you talking about? Despite wpa_supplicant ;)

$aur0n

Nov 27, 2010
I'll do another thread to check services states (that's what take too much time at startup), so application will start and when this thread is finish, information will be updated without hang (for now, I have "application don't respond" quite often).

I've created small script that will show current service status and update Android properties
Code:
[root@localhost uruk.d]# time ./service_status.sh
compcache on
cpugovernor off
dvb on
incrond on
iptables off
ntfs off
samba off
sshd on
swap off

real    0m0.311s
user    0m0.086s
sys     0m0.211s
[root@localhost uruk.d]# getprop urukdroid.services.dvb
on
Like you can see it takes 0.3s to run this script - not much I say ;). You can read it's output or read Android properties
"urukdroid.services.servicename" - status is on/off

I opt for checking process status on demand (and not setting it's status after service start) - since they can die, be killed or be altered manually - with this method you have actual status. Good example is "cpugovernor" - even it's started during boot, Archos services stilll tend to change it state to "ondemand" - I need to work on it.
inacrod - this service is not meant to be altered by user..

solune

Mar 8, 2008
I've created small script that will show current service status and update Android properties

Like you can see it takes 0.3s to run this script - not much I say ;). You can read it's output or read Android properties
"urukdroid.services.servicename" - status is on/off

I opt for checking process status on demand (and not setting it's status after service start) - since they can die, be killed or be altered manually - with this method you have actual status. Good example is "cpugovernor" - even it's started during boot, Archos services stilll tend to change it state to "ondemand" - I need to work on it.
inacrod - this service is not meant to be altered by user..

Ok seem's nice ! I've finished Tab, I'm working on listview (good hope finish it tonight), after I'll test that, I suppose read Android properties must be faster than launch su command and wait for return :) If that's fast enought I keep that way, otherwise I'll implement threads to do the check state.

After that I'll use threads to do the activation/desactivation and to edit conf files, so I can put little animation while doing it without "apply not responding" behavior.

$aur0n

Nov 27, 2010
Ok seem's nice ! I've finished Tab, I'm working on listview (good hope finish it tonight), after I'll test that, I suppose read Android properties must be faster than launch su command and wait for return :) If that's fast enought I keep that way, otherwise I'll implement threads to do the check state.

After that I'll use threads to do the activation/desactivation and to edit conf files, so I can put little animation while doing it without "apply not responding" behavior.
Good - I've put previous version of UrukConfig to UrukDroid 0.5 release.

UrukDroid 0.5

Btw. - who wants to test? I've prepared full update from 0.4(0.4.1 or 0.4.2) to 0.5.
It should also work with previously (dev) updated 0.4. If there will be no grave errors - I'll make it official.
Instruction:
  • download
  • unzip (it's zipped just for checksum) and put file (UrukDroid-rootfs-update.tgz) from archive to root directory (/) of UrukDroid
  • reboot
  • wait until it's fully booted (it will have old boot screen), wait 5 more minutes (just in case)
  • reboot (touch nothing - should boot to Uruk)
This update is kind of "tricky" - later it will be more visible to users. With this one first there is updated rootfs, after full boot is updated kernel.

Last edited:

cjdalessio

Feb 4, 2010
Don't have FB account ;) - and I'm happy this way - so I'll start some logo content perhaps.

btw. It seems like more people like new logo more than previous one...
FWIW I am iterating on a logo concept ...that is at least in my linevof professional training. :D

Also will try this RC once I've settled into work.

Last edited:

sublimejosh2000

Dec 14, 2010
Atlanta
Internal ?

Good - I've put previous version of UrukConfig to UrukDroid 0.5 release.

UrukDroid 0.5 - release candidate

Btw. - who wants to test? I've prepared full update from 0.4(0.4.1 or 0.4.2) to 0.5.
It should also work with previously (dev) updated 0.4. If there will be no grave errors - I'll make it official.
Instruction:
  • download
  • unzip (it's zipped just for checksum) and put file (UrukDroid-rootfs-update.tgz) from archive to root directory (/) of UrukDroid
  • reboot
  • wait until it's fully booted (it will have old boot screen), wait 5 more minutes (just in case)
  • reboot (touch nothing - should boot to Uruk)
This update is kind of "tricky" - later it will be more visible to users. With this one first there is updated rootfs, after full boot is updated kernel.

So, I am using internal boot of 0.4.1... can I try to use this update to 0.5 or will it not work because I am using the internal method?
JW

sublimejosh2000

Dec 14, 2010
Atlanta
It will update - but won't boot after second time.
But we can find solution for this - what is your partition layout now?

I have 3 partitions:
Partition sdb1 - 14.5G - vfat
Partition sdb2 - 500Mb - ext4
Partition sdb3 - 1G - ext4

It is the same exact layout as the External SD but just on the internal...

So, shouldn't be that hard should it?

$aur0n

Nov 27, 2010
I have 3 partitions:
Partition sdb1 - 14.5G - vfat
Partition sdb2 - 500Mb - ext4
Partition sdb3 - 1G - ext4

It is the same exact layout as the External SD but just on the internal...

So, shouldn't be that hard should it?
But how? Or you have different partition sizes, or we are talking about different things. You have A70S with formatted internal 7GB partition (witch is on stock os visible as /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 mounted by vold, vfat/fat32)?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is 1.6RC1

This package will also update kernel/initramfs and reboot. It will update apps in /system/app (so if you removed some of them - you may need to do it again). It may show startup configuration wizard - but only to confirm existing configuration.

http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.6/UrukDroid-1.6RC1-update.tbz2

After update - device will reboot itself.

ps. So far UrukDroid 1.5 installation package was downloaded 32593 times :)
    picture.php

This thread is created for developers and developing of UrukDroid ONLY.
    UrukDroid is alternative Android distribution, based on original Archos OS for Archos GEN8 tablets.

Please do not write here questions about installing UrukDroid on tablet - you can do it in default post - here.

All post violating above rule will be deleted.

This thread is created for:
    • manage people and dividing work
    • plan new releases
    • plan new features
    • help between developers
    • gain knowledge, materials
    • feature proposals by users

Things we are currently working on:
    • Sauron: memory I/O tuning
    • cheefy: backup script
    • Sauron: upgrade/install scripts
    • chulri: dvb support

What informations are we looking for:
    • How to prevent Android from going sleep on system level?
    • Format of bootlogo and initlogo.rle on Gen8 (we are aware of rgb2565 converter etc., but with no luck on Archos yet - I've tried different bit settings 4/8/16/24 and resolutions 200x480, 800x480 - Sauron)

Repository for binary and source releases is currently available here.
    UrukDroid 1.5B2

Hi,

Uruk 1.5 beta 2
    http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.5/UrukDroid-1.5B2-upgrade.tbz2
    130MB f5fc62f433324f3baf51e000f4b187e2 UrukDroid-1.5B2-upgrade.tbz2

Upgrade (so will erase probably some settings - just like before)
    - recompiled all modules (missing in beta1) for 3g/ethernet tethering and dvb drivers (but I will abandon all non standard dvb cards - too much work )
    - added (again) adhoc wifi support
    - moved libc to 2.13 (and all binaries)
    - configuration and services fixes, changes etc - fixed cifs modules loading

I've added message during upgrade process if it fails (so perhaps we will know why it failed to erase file on your devices - read messages during process)
    Early Uruk 1.5beta1

Here is early 1.5 (beta1) - please don't use it if you are not confident in your skills (reverting back to 1.1/1.0 is possible - but annoying).
    http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.5/UrukDroid-1.5B1-upgrade.tbz2

It will work as an upgrade of Uruk 1.0, but it's recommended to do it on 1.1 (because you can do full backup in RescueMenu).
    Please copy upgrade file to /data/UrukUpdate and read messages (Uruk 1.1) - device should reboot itself.

It should upgrade like every Uruk but it's NOT tested (upgrade process) so I advice to do rootfs backup (Uruk 1.1 ResceuMenu). Kernel from 1.5 WON'T work with any previous release - so after upgrade it won't be able to boot 1.1.
    This release has probably not working dvb/3g support - but it may work (simply not tested) - it's quite important for me to report what else is missing.

If you want revert back to 1.1 you should flash (from Archos BootMenu) 1.1 kernel/initramfs (http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.1/) and do rootfs restore from Uruk RescuMenu.

That's probably it :) Good Luck

btw. If you had Uruk market installed, after upgrade it will be gone (there will be icons left) - I recommend to use Arctool to install market (it has newer one and with it's certificates there is no wifi location problem).
    UrukDroid 1.1RC2

1.1RC2 with 2.3.81 changes, some kernel module changes (will see if it still do "soft reboot")
    If anyone knows sure method to trigger "soft reboot" - please let me know...
    First update kernel (/data/UrukUpdate)
    http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.1/UrukDroid-1.1RC2-kernel.tbz2
    Then update file
    http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.1/UrukDroid-1.1RC2-update-rc.tbz2

With some new changes in rescue menu I've added software way to disable SDCard Uruk boot: You can dissable boot from SDCard by naming any of it's partition "noboot" ('root@urukdroid:/root# e2label /dev/block/mmcblk2p1 noboot')
    It's usefull if you have Uruk on both sdcard and internal, and you don't want to remove card every time you want to boot internal (I use sdcard as live backup only now)