[q] 14.4.a.0.108 ota

Search This thread

goldsmit409

Nov 14, 2011
Hi guys i got the OTA update today, just wanted to know will i lose root or recovery or nytn if i update via OTA???
thnx

funky0308

Inactive Recognized Themer
Aug 27, 2012
Osijek
Hi guys i got the OTA update today, just wanted to know will i lose root or recovery or nytn if i update via OTA???
thnx

How big is that OTA update?

Try, if you can flash it it could work and you could actually preserve root, maybe even recovery but in 99% of cases you'll get error.

OTA update can't be flashed on rooted device (but, as I said, there were few times it actually worked if it's small, few mb update)

But this is update from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 so I doubt it'll work.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
How big is that OTA update?

Try, if you can flash it it could work and you could actually preserve root, maybe even recovery but in 99% of cases you'll get error.

OTA update can't be flashed on rooted device (but, as I said, there were few times it actually worked if it's small, few mb update)

But this is update from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 so I doubt it'll work.

OTA updates with root are fine, but you may well lose root, just as you would flashing a FTF or updating via Pccompanion.
The issue with OTA updates is if you have an unlocked bootloader.

funky0308

Inactive Recognized Themer
Aug 27, 2012
Osijek
OTA updates with root are fine, but you may well lose root, just as you would flashing a FTF or updating via Pccompanion.
The issue with OTA updates is if you have an unlocked bootloader.

That's not correct mate.
Try to downgrade, root and install recovery then try to update via OTA - you'll fail.

Only one or two OTA updates worked on rooted Z1.
I have rooted Z1 with locked bootloader and OTA will always said - error while trying to flash, update your device through pc companion.

I'm 100% certain...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2608416

Some updates could be flashed via OTA but in most cases it'll fail..

Last edited:

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
That's not correct mate.
Try to downgrade, root and install recovery then try to update via OTA - you'll fail.

Only one or two OTA updates worked on rooted Z1.
I have rooted Z1 with locked bootloader and OTA will always said - error while trying to flash, update your device through pc companion.

I'm 100% certain...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2608416

Some updates could be flashed via OTA but in most cases it'll fail..

OK, the few times I tried it I had no problem, but I have only ever done it a couple of times..

goldsmit409

Nov 14, 2011
It's 154.5 Mb, my bootloader is still locked only my device is rooted so I will go ahead give it a try and see what happens if it fails or I lose the root I can again downgrade and root right?

goldsmit409

Nov 14, 2011
when it completes downloading the update it says could noy verify so i guess it wont update via OTA??
what are my options now?? possibly keeping root?

emccccc

Nov 2, 2013
when it completes downloading the update it says could noy verify so i guess it wont update via OTA??
what are my options now?? possibly keeping root?
If you want to update, then download FTF. You will loose root. Or use NUTS pre rooted rom. If you want to root yourself, look over to cross development and use easy root tool v8. Then also download nuts xzdual for locked boot.