Htc One stuck on Logo, need 1.29.666.17 RUU to flash or another solution

Search This thread

Als26

Apr 25, 2014
EDIT: This is the Htc One (M7) btw. Guess it was obvious because of the version it came with out of the box, but just to clear any confusion.
EDIT 2: Meant to say my Device was S-On* NOT S-Off. Sorry.

So I'm completely new to Android, and yesterday was the day I got my first ever Android device.
It came with Sense 5 and android 4.1.2 out of the box.

After a while of playing around with my new phone I started checking for updates to get it to the latest version. When I first check it showed that a small update was available and I started downloading it. I noticed that when this update was installing it would first go into that screen where it shows that phone with a green arrow and a download bar, and then all of a sudden it would restart and go back to the Htc One Logo. It did this a few times before finally completing the upgrade.

I checked for updates again and this time it showed me Android 4.3 + Sense 5.5. I downloaded and started installing the upgrade. It did the same thing as last time but I decided I'd power off the device (Figured out later this was what caused this whole problem) and power it on again. After I did that it was stuck on the Htc Logo.
I went on the bootloader and tried factory resetting but it just brought me back to the Htc Logo again.
I found a few threads telling me to hook up my device to the computer, load up fastboot and use cmd to clear the cache and it should work. That failed too however.

After talking with a few of my friends who happen to be android experts, they told me that I because I had turned off the device in the middle of the update I had somehow corrupted some system partition thing and I'd need to flash the stock rom on once again.
After almost 24 hours of research, I've gotten to a point where I've almost figured it out but I hit a bump. My device is not rooted and is S-On (Bootloader used to be locked but in the process of fixing it).
According to my friends because my device is S-On I won't be able to flash Custom roms and need a RUU file that is specific to my carrier. I found out that I basically need the RUU file that has the same number as 1.29.666.17
This apparently is almost non-existent on the web. This is the bump I've hit and I have no idea what I can do now.

Any help would be appreciated.
Also note that I am incredibly new to android. Never rooted or anything in my life before. I've had quite the learning curve in the past day though.

Last edited:

stovie_steve

May 12, 2012
Can you post a fastboot getvar all using command prompt and remove your imei and serial no please?

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Als26

Als26

Apr 25, 2014
Can you post a fastboot getvar all using command prompt and remove your imei and serial no please?

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.44.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.14.3250.13
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 1.29.666.17
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON

(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0712000
(bootloader) cidnum: BM___001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4319mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
getvar:all FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 0.047s

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.44.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.14.3250.13
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 1.29.666.17
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON

(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0712000
(bootloader) cidnum: BM___001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4319mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
getvar:all FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 0.047s

you phone is not s-off
your going to have to unlock the bootloader and flash custom recovery and a rom to attempt to get s-off so you can convert your phone to the international or developer version

instructions on how to convert here >> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2356401

Last edited:

Als26

Apr 25, 2014
you phone is not s-off
your going to have to unlock the bootloader and flash custom recovery and a rom to attempt to get s-off so you can convert your phone to the international or developer version

That was my mistake, I did mean to say S-On.
I did try to get the S-Off using an Htc One Toolkit (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2364445)
However right after Step 1a (downloading Firewater), I moved to step 1b (rebooting my device) it kept saying "adb reboot
error: device not found"
I googled this and it told I had to enable USB debugging, which I can only do through the settings of the phone apparently. And I can't access it so I'm not sure if I can still S-Off my device.

stovie_steve

May 12, 2012
When you enable USB debugging does a pop up box come up on your phone when connecting to your computer to allow the computer to connect?

Als26

Apr 25, 2014
When you enable USB debugging does a pop up box come up on your phone when connecting to your computer to allow the computer to connect?

See that's the thing, I can't enable USB Debugging because my phone is stuck on the bootlogo.
I don't think there's a way for me to enable USB debugging without having access to there phone, or is there?

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
See that's the thing, I can't enable USB Debugging because my phone is stuck on the bootlogo.
I don't think there's a way for me to enable USB debugging without having access to there phone, or is there?

Unlock the bootloader at HTCDEV
then from fastboot USB
Flash recovery TWRP 2.6.3.3
http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7ul

fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.4-m7ul.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader

then sideload this Rom to your phone
http://www.androidrevolution.org/downloader/download.php?file=Android_Revolution_HD-One_31.6.zip

TWRP / Advanced / ADB Sideload - swipe to sideload
From PC adb / fastboot folder
you use
adb sideload name-of-rom.zip

make sure the rom is in the same folder as adb / fastboot

Last edited:

Als26

Apr 25, 2014
Unlock the bootloader at HTCDEV
then from fastboot USB
Flash recovery TWRP 2.6.3.3

fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.4-m7ul.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader

then sideload this Rom to your phone

TWRP / Advanced / ADB Sideload - swipe to sideload
From PC adb / fastboot folder
you use
adb sideload name-of-rom.zip

make sure the rom is in the same folder as adb / fastboot

Alright so did what you said, successfully flashed the new recovery.
Sideloading seems to be giving me some trouble though.
After I "swiped to sideload" I get this

Updating partition details...
E: Unable to mount '/cache'
Full SELinux support is present.
Starting ADB sideload feature...

Been stuck at that for about 15minutes now.
About 5 minutes in I thought I was maybe supposed to use my pc to sideload, but cmd said "error: device not found".

Thanks again for your help by the way.

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
Alright so did what you said, successfully flashed the new recovery.
Sideloading seems to be giving me some trouble though.
After I "swiped to sideload" I get this

Updating partition details...
Full SELinux support is present.
Starting ADB sideload feature...

Been stuck at that for about 15minutes now.
About 5 minutes in I thought I was maybe supposed to use my pc to sideload, but cmd said "error: device not found".

Thanks again for your help by the way.

Your going to have to get your drivers fixed on the pc
Try and install these
http://www.mediafire.com/download/j55vk6qbbr6250c/HTCDriver_4.8.0.002.exe

Last edited:

Als26

Apr 25, 2014
Your going to have to get your drivers fixed on the pc
Try and install these
http://www.mediafire.com/download/j55vk6qbbr6250c/HTCDriver_4.8.0.002.exe

Didn't work. Ran the file, used device manager to manually locate the files in Program Files (x86) and double clicked "HTC". Just keeps saying it couldn't find the driver software for my device.

But if I understand correctly, all I have to do is find a way to update the drivers and I'll be able to sideload the Rom, and hopefully I'll have a working HTC One once again?

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
Didn't work. Ran the file, used device manager to manually locate the files in Program Files (x86) and double clicked "HTC". Just keeps saying it couldn't find the driver software for my device.

But if I understand correctly, all I have to do is find a way to update the drivers and I'll be able to sideload the Rom, and hopefully I'll have a working HTC One once again?

yes or use a usb otg cable to load a rom to your phone from TWRP

bored_stupid

Jul 10, 2011
Hereford
A few quick questions.
The rom will work even if I'm S-ON right?
Also if I do fix my phone using this method, is there a way for me to return it to the stock rom?

Sounds like you haven't read anything about, rooting, S-Off, firmware,hboots,roms, etc..
Suffice to say most people on this forum have more trouble going back to full out of the box stock than anything else.. compared to that, unlocking bootloader, rooting and flashing roms is a doddle(very easy). Suggestion...Read first.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Als26

Apr 25, 2014
Sounds like you haven't read anything about, rooting, S-Off, firmware,hboots,roms, etc..
Suffice to say most people on this forum have more trouble going back to full out of the box stock than anything else.. compared to that, unlocking bootloader, rooting and flashing roms is a doddle(very easy). Suggestion...Read first.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I have not :/
I usually do my research before attempting to do anything to any of my devices, but since I had no intention of rooting/S-ff/Unlocking bootloaders I'm just incredibly clueless. Did some reasearch and it does look like sideloading Roms work on S-On devices. :good:

I have a question for you, or anyone else that knows, but the guy I sent my phone to repair told me the following:
Since I couldn't find the RUU specific to my device, I tried using a Nandroid backup that someone uploaded (This was for Bell Mobile). According to him, he says I must have tried flashing a corrupt rom or something so it's no longer an easy fix. He wants me to pay $130 so he can send it back to some factory to get it fixed. He's telling that this is no longer a soft-brick, but a hard-brick (note that the phone can still access the bootloader, recovery, etc).

I'm pretty sure this guys trying to milk me out of my money, so I told him I'd pick it up tomorrow and get back to him later.
I just want to make sure that what he's saying isn't true though, since I'm not exactly knowledgeable about this and I have a pretty good chance of being wrong.

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
I usually do my research before attempting to do anything to any of my devices, but since I had no intention of rooting/S-ff/Unlocking bootloaders I'm just incredibly clueless. Did some reasearch and it does look like sideloading Roms work on S-On devices. :good:

I have a question for you, or anyone else that knows, but the guy I sent my phone to repair told me the following:
Since I couldn't find the RUU specific to my device, I tried using a Nandroid backup that someone uploaded (This was for Bell Mobile). According to him, he says I must have tried flashing a corrupt rom or something so it's no longer an easy fix. He wants me to pay $130 so he can send it back to some factory to get it fixed. He's telling that this is no longer a soft-brick, but a hard-brick (note that the phone can still access the bootloader, recovery, etc).

I'm pretty sure this guys trying to milk me out of my money, so I told him I'd pick it up tomorrow and get back to him later.
I just want to make sure that what he's saying isn't true though, since I'm not exactly knowledgeable about this and I have a pretty good chance of being wrong.

Sure sounds like a scam to me, I'm pretty sure we can get your phone working if your willing to read and learn

Als26

Apr 25, 2014
Sure sounds like a scam to me, I'm pretty sure we can get your phone working if your willing to read and learn

Definitely am. Going to pick up the phone tomorrow and try out sideloading through a USB Otg cable. I'll report back with the results. Really hoping this will work.

Als26

Apr 25, 2014
Fixed it!
I sideloaded the rom you linked me through a USB Otg Cable. Thanks a lot for your help!

Now I just want to get it back completley to stock.
If I backup my phone through this rom and then go back to stock, I'm assuming my backup file will restore all my contacts/settings/photos etc?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

yes or use a usb otg cable to load a rom to your phone from TWRP

Fixed it!
    I sideloaded the rom you linked me through a USB Otg Cable. Thanks a lot for your help!

Now I just want to get it back completley to stock.
    If I backup my phone through this rom and then go back to stock, I'm assuming my backup file will restore all my contacts/settings/photos etc?

your next step is to achieve s-off ... search for Rumrunner and firewater
    right now you phone is rooted and has a insecure kernel (good)
    I flashed the zip file for android 4.3 and it worked! Once I got back stock recovery my OTA updates worked again and I'm currently on Android 4.4.2 + Sense 5.5.
    My problem is solved! Thanks again fir all your help! :laugh:

You Bet !!! Enjoy your Phone