Following wiki for install, think I hosed my Nook

Search This thread

dweaton

Jul 11, 2012
I've been following http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_encore and must have done something wrong. At first something popped up (I'm using Ubuntu linux) almost immediately saying something about a new ethernet connection, but I waited over 45 minutes and never had anything show on the Nook screen. I decided to re-image the MicroSD card and try again. Now it looks like it doesn't even attempt anything - another 45 minute wait, nothing on the screen. I unplugged it from my PC, removed the MicroSD card and tried to power on - nothing. I'm afraid I may have hosed up my Nook. I don't have a clue where to go from here, and I didn't want to go through the "my nook won't boot" section until I know if I need to do something else instead.

I did this a couple of years ago on a different Nook but the procedure in the wiki doesn't seem familiar, so I assume something must have changed.

Any help for this dumb old guy would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Dave ;)

p.s. - yes, it's a Nook Color, and it shows 1.4."something" for the device before I started. In scanning the net I now have seen references to updating the firmware prior to trying all of this. I tried that when I first powered it on prior to starting this but nothing showed anywhere for an update.

P.S.S. It does power back up as a "regular" Nook Color if I hold the volume up button and the power button for about 16 seconds or so, but the wiki procedure still doesn't appear to be working even with re-imaging the MicroSD card again.

Last edited:

dweaton

Jul 11, 2012
not working

I started again by doing a few things:

- cleared the cache and the data on the Nook (cmod 10 did install from before, it just didn't show until a complete reset)
- used a brand-new never been used 16gb MicroSD card
- followed the guide in the thread in your post and went with TWRP so I could have a graphical interface for all it
- it is impossible to everything in that guide using the TWRP 1gb image as the size of the img is close to 1gb, but the partitions it created on the SD card are only 40mb and 81mg respectively - making it impossible to copy the cmod 10 zip file to it.

I re-read everything there and saw absolutely nothing about re-sizing the partitions to take advantage of the size of the SD card prior to copying everything and then trying to boot.

I'm going to go back now and try the cwd image instead and see what happens there.

dweaton

Jul 11, 2012
Got further, but now more problems

OK, I finally got it to boot the TWRP sd image with the cmod 10 zip, the gapps zip and the recovery zip.

However, when ever I power on the device without the SD card it comes up with the the unlock, which I do, followed immediately by:

"Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped"

tapping "OK" to that I get:

"Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has stopped"

tapping "OK" just results in a loop with the "Setup Wizrd has stopped" message.

Wireless is enabled and connected.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
OK, I finally got it to boot the TWRP sd image with the cmod 10 zip, the gapps zip and the recovery zip.

However, when ever I power on the device without the SD card it comes up with the the unlock, which I do, followed immediately by:

What versions of gapps and CM10 did you use? They must match or you get those errors.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: dweaton

dweaton

Jul 11, 2012
What versions of gapps and CM10 did you use? They must match or you get those errors.

I couldn't tell from the guide which version of cmod 10 to use, so I grabbed cmod 10.1.3."something". I used the gapps the guide said to use with CM 10.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I couldn't tell from the guide which version of cmod 10 to use, so I grabbed cmod 10.1.3."something". I used the gapps the guide said to use with CM 10.
CM10.1.3 and CM10 are different versions and require different versions of gapps. CM10.1.3 needs gapps-jb-20130812-signed.zip. Try flashing that version. You can get it at goo.im.

Last edited:
Reactions: dweaton

dweaton

Jul 11, 2012
CM10.1.3 and CM10 are different versions and require different versions of gapps. CM10.1.3 needs gapps-jb-20130812-signed.zip. Try flashing that version. You can get it at goo.im.

Somebody needs to change all of these guides to say "cmod xxxx, use gapps-xxxx". All of these guides say select A version from "here" for cmod zip files, but nobody cross references them to the gapps files. The guide in question does not specify use ONLY cmod-xxxx and ONLY gapps-xxxx. I suppose it's rather late in the game given the age of the Nook Color, but that is pretty confusing for a newbie. When i did this a few years ago with cmod 7, there was a very specific how-to: download this, download this, download this.

OK, enough of my rant.

So, I downloaded that gapps zip file. I ran md5sum against it in Ubuntu linux and the md5 sum doesn't match that from the web site. I've run this download over and over and still the same results. I finally just copied it to the SD card to try it. When installation gets to that zip file it errors out "unable to open zip file.", followed by an error flashing that file message. I'm afraid I don't understand. I copy the file to the sd card, I select it in the teamwin install screen and "pull the tab" to it can install it, and I get this error. Does this mean the file itself is corrupted? If so, for how many times I've downloaded it and ran md5sum to no avail, how else do I get this file?

dweaton

Jul 11, 2012
I just re-download everything again, checked the md5sums, createda new SD card, booted it and everything seems to have installed ok now as I don't see any error messages.

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That is a really old, outdated guide. You should have been using this guide:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1030227

To repair your nook read my NC Tips thread linked in my signature and see if anything is there to help you.