[LEAK/DEV][ICS 4.0.3] Acer_A500_1.031.00_WW_GEN1

Search This thread

Euclid's Brother

May 3, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.interphaze.com
There's something definitely buggy with SU on the leak roms, or at least the custom roms based on the leaks. I've experienced it on icilicious, based on the 09 rom and on flexreaper based on the 14 rom.

I've been doing a lot in adb shell lately and notice that it hangs randomly, but frequently when entering a command (ie ls command). While debuging changes to Acer Recovery Installer, I've also noticed that it does the same when it tries to send commands via the shell su. Not always on the same command. Again, random but frequent. The cmd just hangs and never returns. So if the calling code uses process.waitFor() while waiting for the shell command to return, then that process is deadlocked.

I believe this is why so many people are experiencing random hangs in Titanium Backup, as well.

I tried downgrading su to 3.0.3 (instead of the latest 3.0.3.2), but still experienced the same, so I don't believe it to be an su binary issue.

I wonder if there is a boobytrap in the kernel like there was for mounting /system as rw. maybe something that will cause random hangs when entereing commands via su... no idea on that.. just speculating.

drellisdee

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 22, 2008
East Coast
There's something definitely buggy with SU on the leak roms, or at least the custom roms based on the leaks. I've experienced it on icilicious, based on the 09 rom and on flexreaper based on the 14 rom.

I've been doing a lot in adb shell lately and notice that it hangs randomly, but frequently when entering a command (ie ls command). While debuging changes to Acer Recovery Installer, I've also noticed that it does the same when it tries to send commands via the shell su. Not always on the same command. Again, random but frequent. The cmd just hangs and never returns. So if the calling code uses process.waitFor() while waiting for the shell command to return, then that process is deadlocked.

I believe this is why so many people are experiencing random hangs in Titanium Backup, as well.

I tried downgrading su to 3.0.3 (instead of the latest 3.0.3.2), but still experienced the same, so I don't believe it to be an su binary issue.

I wonder if there is a boobytrap in the kernel like there was for mounting /system as rw. maybe something that will cause random hangs when entereing commands via su... no idea on that.. just speculating.

No its the shell change on ics to mksh (korn shell) and incompatibility with superuser su binary I noticed civato used a bash shell in his :( . It an issue with the superuser su binary. Here is an unguarded aosp su I modified to allow root to all apps not just uid 0 and 2000. This can be used along side the superuser su or in replacement of.

http://db.tt/ZsLLvG5e

perfect example call package manager on mksh shell

$
pm

it works

$
su
#
pm
segfault

$
su -c pm

it works

Last edited:

civato

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2011
No its the shell change on ics to mksh (korn shell) and incompatibility with superuser su binary I noticed civato used a bash shell in his :( . It an issue with the superuser su binary. Here is an unguarded aosp su I modified to allow root to all apps not just uid 0 and 2000. This can be used along side the superuser su or in replacement of.

$
pm

it works

$
su
#
pm
segfault

$
su -c pm

it works

Ok so what do you want me to change in the rom , the su bin?
or remove the bash bin file ?

EDIT
I removed bash and nano in R6
Titanium backup problem are solved don't know if it is releated to that .
And I will ad the suhack in bin

Last edited:

Euclid's Brother

May 3, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.interphaze.com

$
pm

it works

$
su
#
pm
segfault

$
su -c pm

it works

oh! thank you!

Edit: But why does it seem so random to me. I can enter a few benign commands, then suddenly it'll freeze. Like entering "ls" a few times in a row, then it'll freeze. And occasionally, my app will run fine, but most of the time it gets hung up on different commands.

Last edited:

Euclid's Brother

May 3, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.interphaze.com

$
pm

it works

$
su
#
pm
segfault

$
su -c pm

it works

Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem I was seeing. Currently on light speed 4.1 and replaced su with suhack (still called su) but still seeing the random hangups in my app. I'm not at home, so can't do more extensive tests right now.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Euclid's Brother

May 3, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.interphaze.com
Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem I was seeing. Currently on light speed 4.1 and replaced su with suhack (still called su) but still seeing the random hangups in my app. I'm not at home, so can't do more extensive tests right now.

Okay, I have to backpedel a little on this.. I found a bug in my app that was causing intermittant hangs and thought it was releated to the SU. It turned out that a subthread, if it finished too soon, was trying to update the UI before the UI was drawn. :rolleyes:

lol

kasim1

Mar 27, 2008
I just flashed with Acer_A500_0.014.00_WW_GEN1.zip
and now i don't know how to root it.

Help please.

Thanx

kasim1

Mar 27, 2008
Lol. Well I guess you got the new bootloader now.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Got root app from here Tegraowners

Now i'll try to update with Lightspeed

Fyi,
i don't get SOd with stock rom 014

not sure if i should update with 019????

Update:
NOW i BROKE IT,
Can't get to bootloader with POWER+Vol-Up, shows broken android image.

Not sure whats now.

Last edited:

Euclid's Brother

May 3, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.interphaze.com
Got root app from here Tegraowners

Now i'll try to update with Lightspeed

Fyi,
i don't get SOd with stock rom 014

not sure if i should update with 019????

Update:
NOW i BROKE IT,
Can't get to bootloader with POWER+Vol-Up, shows broken android image.

Not sure whats now.

Dont' confuse bootloader with CWM recovery. You don't have CWM anymore because you flashed the leak version with it's stock recovery and locked bootloader.

Follow the instructions (a couple different threads in dev) for isntalling the the patched bootloader and recovery.

Then you can flash one of the CUSTOM roms, but you'll probably get SoD again unless you flash a compatible kernel. FlexReaper R6 should work with either bootloader. It flashes the correct kernel based on the bootloader installed.

Edit: try this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1522384

gersma

Jun 11, 2007
Dont' confuse bootloader with CWM recovery. You don't have CWM anymore because you flashed the leak version with it's stock recovery and locked bootloader.

Follow the instructions (a couple different threads in dev) for isntalling the the patched bootloader and recovery.

Then you can flash one of the CUSTOM roms, but you'll probably get SoD again unless you flash a compatible kernel. FlexReaper R6 should work with either bootloader. It flashes the correct kernel based on the bootloader installed.

You only get SoD if you still have honeycombs bootloader and flashed a custom rom based leaked ics through cwm.

People who renamed vache's releases to update.zip get the new official ics bootloader installed and DO NOT have any errors whatsoever, but they lose clockworkmod !

To get a taste of both, there is a workaround described in the dev forum which installs a patched bootloader + cwm recovery again so you can flash ics leaks through cwm again, without having the Sod errors. (consider it as having cwm and a stock rom at the same time)

This patched bootloader also allows you to boot any cwm based honeycomb rom.

You cannot use vaches leaked rom if you do not want to lose your cwm. For that purpose you would have to remove the bootloader manually and edit its installscript accordingly.

All other ics based roms here on xda should have patched kernels by now to get around Sod and root problems, so you would not have to flash a patched bootloader.

kasim1

Mar 27, 2008
Lol. Well I guess you got the new bootloader now. Unless vache already pulled it out of the zip.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Just installed bootloader, but i can't delete recovery-from-boot.p
Tried with Root Explorer and no luck

how else i can delete it?

blackthund3r

Feb 27, 2012
London
Just installed bootloader, but i can't delete recovery-from-boot.p
Tried with Root Explorer and no luck

how else i can delete it?

Root with my ICS root tool then use the A500 remount app to mount /system rw. The recovery-from-boot.p deletion will be an automated option in v5 (coming tomorrow)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    119498958977780800stop_sign_right_font_mig_.svg.med.png

THIS LEAKED ROM IS FOR DEVELOPMENT

• Give the developers time to take this leaked ROM and make a stable release.
    • Currently there is no version that keeps full Root and Recovery. A500 tablets will bootloop flashing the CWM version.
    • A501 users can flash the CWM version but there is no 3G.
    • A500 users can flash the stock ROM, but there is no Root and no way to install Recovery. Going back to 3.2.1 is not verified.

PATIENCE PLEASE, while this is being worked on.

ro.build.id=IML74K
    ro.build.display.id=Acer_AV041_A500_1.031.00_WW_GEN1
    ro.build.version.incremental=1333032611
    ro.build.version.sdk=15
    ro.build.version.codename=REL
    ro.build.version.release=4.0.3
    ro.build.date=Thu Mar 29 22:51:13 CST 2012

Download Link : http://vache-android.com/v1/download.php?fileID=151
    Updated to Acer_AV041_A500_1.031.00_WW_GEN1.
    Link on 1st post.
    remount patched zImage for 1.031
    Ok , here it is , full root flashable boot.img for 1.031.00 leaked rom.

For HC bootloader users

For ICS bootloader users

BIG THANKS TO DRELLISDEE FOR zImage

I have attached a .a500apx format bundle for my APX flash tool which includes the patched / custom mode ICS bootloader and CWM recovery as well as this amazing kernel. To use, extract the a500apx file from the zip file then select it with the A500 APX Flash Tool (Over at a certain website run by thor2002ro that I got tempbanned for mentioning last time). Hope this makes things easier for people who have flashed and got the stock BL :)

MASSIVE thanks to:
    *thor2002ro for the RECOVERY (not kernel WTF was on my mind :p)
    *drellisdee for the zImage (kernel)
    *civato for the boot.img
    *Skrillaz_CZ for the patched bootloader
    Here ya go remount block patched on new kernel with lzma compression enabled.

Md5 28686f14124168a878b9521562df2d77 zImage.zip

this is in zImage (kernel only no ramdisk) form so developers can add their own cmdline in boot.img based on device and bootloader version they are targeting.