[Q] Camera not working, gallary stopped working I9000

Search This thread

Jarige

Jun 23, 2013
Hey people, I'm having a problem with the Camera of my SGS. It used to work before, but from one moment to another it stopped working. I don't know why it stopped working, because I bought it when the camera had already stopped working.

Anyway, upon opening the camera app, or trying to use the camera from any app, it shows the message "Gallery stopped working" after some time. Here's the logcat:

Code:
01-24 15:01:28.960 E/SecCamera(  146): initCamera: m_cam_fd(40), m_jpeg_fd(0)
01-24 15:01:28.972 E/SecCamera(  146): initCamera: m_cam_fd2(43)
01-24 15:01:30.363 E/CAM_PhotoModule(13594): Width = 2560Height = 1920
01-24 15:01:32.828 E/SecCamera(  146): ERR(int android::fimc_v4l2_streamon(int)):VIDIOC_STREAMON failed
01-24 15:01:32.828 E/SecCamera(  146): int android::SecCamera::startPreview()::804 fail. errno: I/O error, m_camera_id = 0
01-24 15:01:32.828 E/CameraHardwareSec(  146): ERR(android::status_t android::CameraHardwareSec::startPreviewInternal()):Fail on mSecCamera->startPreview()
01-24 15:01:32.851 E/CameraHardwareSec(  146): preview window is NULL!
01-24 15:01:32.851 E/AndroidRuntime(13594): FATAL EXCEPTION: Camera Handler Thread
01-24 15:01:32.851 E/AndroidRuntime(13594): java.lang.RuntimeException: startPreview failed
01-24 15:01:32.851 E/AndroidRuntime(13594): 	at android.hardware.Camera.startPreview(Native Method)
01-24 15:01:32.851 E/AndroidRuntime(13594): 	at com.android.camera.CameraManager$CameraHandler.handleMessage(CameraManager.java:188)
01-24 15:01:32.851 E/AndroidRuntime(13594): 	at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
01-24 15:01:32.851 E/AndroidRuntime(13594): 	at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:137)
01-24 15:01:32.851 E/AndroidRuntime(13594): 	at android.os.HandlerThread.run(HandlerThread.java:61)

And device info:
Code:
build.board: aries
build.bootloader: unknown
build.brand: samsung
build.cpu_abi: armeabi-v7a
build.cpu_abi2: armeabi
build.device: GT-I9000
build.display: cm_galaxysmtd-userdebug 4.3.1 JLS36I 0033bcf5d5 test-keys
build.fingerprint: samsung/GT-I9000/GT-I9000:2.3.5/GINGERBREAD/XXJVT:user/release-keys
build.hardware: aries
build.host: cyanogenmod
build.id: JLS36I
build.manufacturer: samsung
build.model: GT-I9000
build.product: GT-I9000
build.radio: unknown
build.serial: 37300090CF2C00EC
build.tags: test-keys
build.time: 1386034429000
build.type: userdebug
build.user: jenkins
version.codename: REL
version.incremental: 0033bcf5d5
version.release: 4.3.1
version.sdk_int: 18

This is in Cyanogenmod 10.2.0 stable. I think the camera firmware is somehow broken, or the hardware is really failing. But I want to at least be sure it's the hardware before giving up. And I'm kinda unwilling to flash to stock to try things. I tried dialing *#*#34971539#*#* but it just removes the entered code after I've typed it out and does nothing.

Edit: things I forgot to mention:
I tried these things:
- Installing Focal app to see whether camera works there, doesn't work.
- Tried disabling the Gallery app, doesn't work.
- Tried deleting data and cache of the Gallery app, doesn't work.
- Tried deleting data and cache and then rebooting, doesn't work.
- Tried disabling, deleting data and cache, then enabling Gallery. Doesn't work either.

Any clues on what to do? If it's the firmware, what do I do to fix it?

Last edited:

Jarige

Jun 23, 2013
Bump, anyone here to help me fix this problem? It's not a huge problem since I don't use my camera often, but it is an annoyance every now and then.

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines
Any clues on what to do? If it's the firmware, what do I do to fix it?
It looks like you may have a firmware problem as your bootloader and Radio are unknown from the device info you posted.

so suggest you safe everything (backup) on the phone, revert to gingerbread stock ROM to check camera , you can follow
pinned.png
[Tutorial] How to Unbrick, Flash, Downgrade, Root, Update i9000 from Froyo to Kit Kat and flash the gingerbread or use a i9000 rescue kit

Reactions: Jarige

Jarige

Jun 23, 2013
yes everything will be restored to stock
I haven't had a lot of time to do this lately, so I postponed it. I do have the time this weekend though. What if I create some kind of a complete rom backup (is Nandroid the right term for this?), then go back to stock to get the camera to work, then restore from the backup. Would that work? Or would that break the camera again?

And is there no tool to flash the camera firmware from a custom rom? Seems kinda weird that something like that doesn't exist :p

Soryuu

Aug 17, 2012
Auckland
I haven't had a lot of time to do this lately, so I postponed it. I do have the time this weekend though. What if I create some kind of a complete rom backup (is Nandroid the right term for this?), then go back to stock to get the camera to work, then restore from the backup. Would that work? Or would that break the camera again?

And is there no tool to flash the camera firmware from a custom rom? Seems kinda weird that something like that doesn't exist :p

I'm no expert in reading and analysing logcats and knowing how camera firmwares work, but I don't think a Nandroid backup will fix it. Reason being is that a Nandroid backs up everything in the system as well as user data. So if the corrupt bootloader and radio are backed up and then restored, chances are it'll break the camera again.

But I don't know too much about this, so please correct me if I'm wrong :p

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines

Yes, the rule of the thump is , you should make backups, nandroid as well as with specific backup apps ( contacts, sms efs etc available in play store) as well as copy your entire SD card to PC, for salvaging.

When ever you have a problem, ( immaterial what it may be) best not to restore system, and data to a certain extent only, so salvaging is the best thing to do. you can even salvage from a nandroid backup with Nandroid browser & Nandroid manager apps . Including google backup and restore .

So make it as clean as possible, preferably format your SD card too ( move contents to PC First) than copy back music , images etc. by doing this you have a clean environment.

Better to start anew and copy back the needed data only.

If you want try camera fixes, yes just search XDA and you will find varying methods and information about it like this

Jarige

Jun 23, 2013
I flashed to I9000 XXJVU and tried different camera firmwares, but it's still not working. I found these firmwares all over xda. There's a lot of dead links out there. Anyone who can share their camera firmware files so that I can try whether they work? That would be appreciated.

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines

Jarige

Jun 23, 2013

I did now, I flashed the camera_fix.zip using CWM and then tried whether it worked. It didn't, so I did another firmware phone to cam write and reboot, and it still gives me the black screen. I've searched for hours to try different firmware .bin files and I haven't found any firmware which works.
What changed, however, is that before flashing the camera_fix.zip firmware to the cam I could check the firmware version and now when I try to do that it crashes. "process com.sec.android.app.camerafirmware" is the process that crashes.

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines

Jarige

Jun 23, 2013
Basically a factory reset would normally solve this, from what you are conveying it looks like you may have a hardware issue, as a full ROM flash is unable to solve it. Cameras are pretty cheap in ebay, but do exhaust all other options, till you are sure about it.,

Thanks dude, I think I'll just give up and flash cm11 m3 now. I'm tired of spending hours of work into this. I'll consider buying a new camera on ebay. Not sure whether that's worth it though, I'll just see. Not like I use my camera often anyway. Thanks for the kindness, I appreciate the help :)

platypoid

May 13, 2013
ymporitoffice

Thanks dude, I think I'll just give up and flash cm11 m3 now. I'm tired of spending hours of work into this. I'll consider buying a new camera on ebay. Not sure whether that's worth it though, I'll just see. Not like I use my camera often anyway. Thanks for the kindness, I appreciate the help :)

I had a problem with my camera using CM11 After a lot of messing around I discovered that what caused it was having the Power Shutter option checked. But I could not even open the camera - it would crash every time. I was able to get the camera working again by using Titanium backup and then going to the camera app and deleting data . Then the camera would open up and work okay. I tested it by turning the Power Shutter back on and it made the camera crash. Deleted the data on Titanium and it worked again.

So not sure if this will help you - but if you do load CM11 avoid the Power Shutter option ! I would report this on their thread but I don't have enough posts yet.

Hope you get it figured out - I know I pulled my hair out trying to figure out how to fix mine .

Jarige

Jun 23, 2013
I had a problem with my camera using CM11 After a lot of messing around I discovered that what caused it was having the Power Shutter option checked. But I could not even open the camera - it would crash every time. I was able to get the camera working again by using Titanium backup and then going to the camera app and deleting data . Then the camera would open up and work okay. I tested it by turning the Power Shutter back on and it made the camera crash. Deleted the data on Titanium and it worked again.

So not sure if this will help you - but if you do load CM11 avoid the Power Shutter option ! I would report this on their thread but I don't have enough posts yet.

Hope you get it figured out - I know I pulled my hair out trying to figure out how to fix mine .
Thanks for the input, it doesn't help me though. I was using CM10.2 and I'm only using CM11 as of last Sunday. This might help someone else though, so it's good that you mention it :)

knuckles1978

Aug 6, 2012
I have had exactly the same problems which you describe. I've gone back to stock (tried eclair and Gingerbread), I've tried flashing different camera firmwares, and I've bought a new camera module from ebay. Nothing worked. Gave up. :(

Front cam works fine, but main cam just FC's the gallery app.

Interestingly though I can pinpoint exactly when it happened. Phone was stock, I'd just been given it from a friend. Checked camera and it was working fine. Thought I'd factory reset the phone to remove my friends email accounts and any personal information so I did that... Rebooted phone and immediately noticed that the camera wasn't working, and since that moment never has...

So it seems to me that it must be a corrupt or deleted file (driver, etc)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

CaracalSef

Oct 7, 2010
Bucharest
www.rullz.us
I just bought a new camera module for I9000. Installed it and noticed doing the same thing. Same logcat error (that's how I found this thread with google). Is there any way we can get the camera work again?
Just like knuckles1978, front cam is working OK. I must change from back to front fast, before getting the FC. The phone is running latest CM11 now, but tried different camera apps also, got back to stock GB, same thing happens.

CaracalSef

Oct 7, 2010
Bucharest
www.rullz.us
Out of nowhere, after about 1 year, the camera starts working again :| Except to switch with the new camera module, concluding that it's not working, switching back the old camera, I did nothing else! Even when I inserted the old module back in again, I tested and was not working. But now it is. What the hell is this? :D

Top Liked Posts