[GUIDE] 2-step unroot back to stock 2.3.4 from s-off and ANY ROM

Search This thread

sparksco

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2010
docs.google.com
I noticed a lot of people asking "How do I unroot back to stock 2.3.4 with s-off bootloader when the ruu's will not work with s-off bootloader?"
So in light of this there is a simple way to do this without installing the froyo PG06IMG.zip and going through the hassle of downloading all the firmware OTA's to get back to stock 2.3.4 firmware. I have used this method and it works great. You must be rooted with s-off for this to work. If your running a custom rom that is not sense based or based of the stock HTC sense roms, attempting to run a RUU will fail which makes this method usefull for anyone on any rom :)

More information can be referenced from HERE

Requirements:

Note: if you rooted using the method from HERE then you should already have all the requirements for this to work.

1) Windows

2) Android SDK

Once you download the sdk place it in the root of your C: drive and rename it to something easy like "android" or "sdk". Go into your sdk\tools folder and double click on the android file or right click on the file and select open. It should open a command prompt and then load the sdk.

INSTALL PLATFORM-TOOLS ONLY!

3) Download and install HTC Sync necessary for drivers in using adb and fastboot

4) Install a md5 utility like WinMD5Free for checking the hashsums of the files.

===============================================

Unrooting back to stock 2.3.4 firmware

WARNING: This will completely unroot your device. I or xda will not be held responsible for anything that may occur to your device if you do not follow the instructions properly. You have been warned!

5) Download the 2.3.4 hboot

Check the MD5sums of the file hboot_0.99.0000.img: 3008853f805b107fda434ce623f43318

If the MD5sums do not match the above numbers DO NOT CONTINUE

Place the file in your platform-tools folder in the android sdk

6) Download the 2.3.4 ruu

Note: MUST DOWNLOAD THIS FILE ON WIFI ONLY BECAUSE OF THE SIZE

Check the MD5sums of the file RUU_Speedy_S_Sprint_WWE_2.77.651.3_Radio_1.08.01.0111_NV_SPCS_2.97_01206_PRL60674_release_237263_signed.exe:
6e624a8ab1e1caa523a547c1fa54953b

Again if the MD5sums don't match the above numbers DO NOT CONTINUE

7)Plug your phone into your usb cable to your PC and make sure "USB debugging" is enabled on your device under Menu >> Settings >> Applications >> Development

open a cmd prompt (start button then type cmd and enter) and cd to your sdk\platform-tools folder.

Example: cd C:\android\platform-tools or cd C:\sdk\platform-tools

8) adb reboot bootloader

Make sure the device is in fastboot mode (a lot of times it's not). It should say fastboot in red letters on the top.

9) fastboot flash hboot hboot_0.99.0000.img

10)fastboot reboot-bootloader

If all goes well you should see "s-on locked"

11) Make sure your phone is in fastboot mode once again. Next run the ruu file and follow the instructions to install the factory images of 2.3.4

Congrats your phone is now back to stock 2.3.4 :victory:

Last edited:

BigSplit

Jan 7, 2012
I just unrooted my phone yesterday using the 2.3 RUU. Well actually I accidentally used the 2.2 RUU first and when I realized I then used the 2.3 RUU. It worked fine for me doing it that way.

sparksco

Feb 27, 2010
docs.google.com
I just unrooted my phone yesterday using the 2.3 RUU. Well actually I accidentally used the 2.2 RUU first and when I realized I then used the 2.3 RUU. It worked fine for me doing it that way.

This isn't for getting to 2.3.3 it's for 2.3.4...
And you can't even use a ruu on s-off because the bootloader verification fails.

Last edited:

BigSplit

Jan 7, 2012
Oh sorry, it wasn't the RUU, it was the 2.2 PGxxx zip I flashed in fastboot first. Then used the 2.3 RUU. Same outcome, back to factory 2.3.4 in 2 steps.

...And now it's time to re-root since they replaced my touch screen right there on the spot... I was surprised

Last edited:

sparksco

Feb 27, 2010
docs.google.com
i thought you could RUU with s-off?
It's basicly the same as this:
http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...evo-v-4g-ruu-flashing-guide-unroot-guide.html

Execpt for we're not doing fastboot oem lock'ing our bootloaders. We're just straight up flashing the locked s-on 2.3.4 bootloader so the ruu can think we're already on a stock firmware even though we're not.

Edit: if your running a custom rom attempting to run a ruu can cause a lot of issues which makes this method a lot easier for everyone :) OP updated with more info.

Last edited:
Reactions: VICODAN
Jul 13, 2012
My screen broke and I need to return my phone to Sprint. I spent 3 hours looking through other unrooting guides until I found yours. Works flawlessly. My most sincere gratitude to you.

dyebhai

Jul 25, 2012
No luck

I flashed the hboot, and it seemed fine through there, but cannot get the RUU to work. It keeps telling me that the usb connection isn't connected. Any thoughts?

dyebhai

Jul 25, 2012
RTFM - Then more problems

Did you follow ALL the instructions?

Boy do I feel like a tool. The answer, of course, is no. I hadn't installed HTC Sync.

That said, it still wouldn't update the thing.

"The ROM Update utility cannot update your Android phone.

Please get the correct ROM Update Utility and try again."

Error[131]: Customer ID Error

So, who has any idea why this happens?

sparksco

Feb 27, 2010
docs.google.com
After you flash the 2.3.4 bootloader you need to reboot bootloader so the rom utility can see the new bootloader as one it recognizes. After that you should be good to go.

Sent from my HTC Evo Shift using xda premium

bbedward

Jun 6, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Anyone have alternate links for the OP? It's kinda urgent :eek:

Thanks really appreciate it

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

I found the RUU but still can't find the Hboot file. if anyone has it I'd greatly appreciate it.

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
Anyone have alternate links for the OP? It's kinda urgent :eek:

Thanks really appreciate it

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

I found the RUU but still can't find the Hboot file. if anyone has it I'd greatly appreciate it.

I had them, but I can't remember where I put them. Needed to create a seperate folder and didn't :eek: . You might want to PM Sparksco, see if he'll repost them.

sparksco

Feb 27, 2010
docs.google.com
I'll put the on too manager beta tonight. Apparently my Dropbox account was almost banned for too much traffic from these files. Luckily they just suspended it for 3 days. Didn't think it was in that much demand as hardly anyone post on this thread.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I noticed a lot of people asking "How do I unroot back to stock 2.3.4 with s-off bootloader when the ruu's will not work with s-off bootloader?"
    So in light of this there is a simple way to do this without installing the froyo PG06IMG.zip and going through the hassle of downloading all the firmware OTA's to get back to stock 2.3.4 firmware. I have used this method and it works great. You must be rooted with s-off for this to work. If your running a custom rom that is not sense based or based of the stock HTC sense roms, attempting to run a RUU will fail which makes this method usefull for anyone on any rom :)

More information can be referenced from HERE

Requirements:

Note: if you rooted using the method from HERE then you should already have all the requirements for this to work.

1) Windows

2) Android SDK

Once you download the sdk place it in the root of your C: drive and rename it to something easy like "android" or "sdk". Go into your sdk\tools folder and double click on the android file or right click on the file and select open. It should open a command prompt and then load the sdk.

INSTALL PLATFORM-TOOLS ONLY!

3) Download and install HTC Sync necessary for drivers in using adb and fastboot

4) Install a md5 utility like WinMD5Free for checking the hashsums of the files.

===============================================

Unrooting back to stock 2.3.4 firmware

WARNING: This will completely unroot your device. I or xda will not be held responsible for anything that may occur to your device if you do not follow the instructions properly. You have been warned!

5) Download the 2.3.4 hboot

Check the MD5sums of the file hboot_0.99.0000.img: 3008853f805b107fda434ce623f43318

If the MD5sums do not match the above numbers DO NOT CONTINUE

Place the file in your platform-tools folder in the android sdk

6) Download the 2.3.4 ruu

Note: MUST DOWNLOAD THIS FILE ON WIFI ONLY BECAUSE OF THE SIZE

Check the MD5sums of the file RUU_Speedy_S_Sprint_WWE_2.77.651.3_Radio_1.08.01.0111_NV_SPCS_2.97_01206_PRL60674_release_237263_signed.exe:
    6e624a8ab1e1caa523a547c1fa54953b

Again if the MD5sums don't match the above numbers DO NOT CONTINUE

7)Plug your phone into your usb cable to your PC and make sure "USB debugging" is enabled on your device under Menu >> Settings >> Applications >> Development

open a cmd prompt (start button then type cmd and enter) and cd to your sdk\platform-tools folder.

Example: cd C:\android\platform-tools or cd C:\sdk\platform-tools

8) adb reboot bootloader

Make sure the device is in fastboot mode (a lot of times it's not). It should say fastboot in red letters on the top.

9) fastboot flash hboot hboot_0.99.0000.img

10)fastboot reboot-bootloader

If all goes well you should see "s-on locked"

11) Make sure your phone is in fastboot mode once again. Next run the ruu file and follow the instructions to install the factory images of 2.3.4

Congrats your phone is now back to stock 2.3.4 :victory:
    RUU Crashes When Running Update on Windows 7

This is for anyone who ran into what I did after updating the hboot running Windows 7 x32 and not being able to find anything online that explicitly stated a fix.

Everytime I ran the ruu, it would crash after rebooting bootloader. I'm not 100% sure what allowed me to run it successfully but here's what I did:

Unistalled and reinstalled HTC Sync for the drivers, rebooted computer and rebooted phone back into fastboot
    Troubleshot compatibility (right click, 2nd or 3rd down in context menu) and ran with recommended settings

This let the update to go through fine.
    There is very good reason. I can't reprogram the MMS settings unless I ruu. I have s off and haven't been able to find a way to reprogram without ruu, and havent had any success with any other method so far. if you can link me to a way to reprogram, or all least ruu without loosing my s-off hboot I would be very grateful. My SD card with the original stock ROM CWM backup got fried. I downloaded a ROM that claims to be stock, but still no joy.

You can download the latest stock rooted here.

http://developer.clockworkmod.com/d...s-NoA2sd_GB_Sense_Stock_Rooted_2.77.651.3.zip

If this won't work for you nothing will. You'll probably want to do a full data wipe if you have any issues.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    can a get s-off again after flashing the new hboot?

can i install custom roms and root again after doing this?

will this allow me to reprogram (##DATA#) the phone to use mms with my new carrier (already setup with ting and makes/recieves calls/sms)?
    If you are already Rooted there is no reason to get the newer HBoot. It will not do anything for you. No you will not be able to Root the newer HBoot. You will have to go through the process of downgrading the HBoot in order to Root. You can do all the things you want on the older HBoot. If you are already Rooted I would leave it alone.
    i thought you could RUU with s-off?
    It's basicly the same as this:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...evo-v-4g-ruu-flashing-guide-unroot-guide.html

Execpt for we're not doing fastboot oem lock'ing our bootloaders. We're just straight up flashing the locked s-on 2.3.4 bootloader so the ruu can think we're already on a stock firmware even though we're not.

Edit: if your running a custom rom attempting to run a ruu can cause a lot of issues which makes this method a lot easier for everyone :) OP updated with more info.