Tampered without htcdev

Search This thread

McQueefus

Jul 27, 2010
I just booted into the bootloader just for curiosity and it says locked and tampered. However I have never unlocked my bootloader and have not tampered with it. I thought that it only says tampered if you unlock the bootloader. Anyone else noticed this?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using XDA

G

GuestX0019

so did I

where did you buy it

any chance of buying a returned one

McQueefus

Jul 27, 2010
I bought it at tmobile on launch day so I don't think it is returned.

joshnichols189

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago
Tampered means non-official software such as root. Unlocking the bootloader does not cause it to say tampered.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using xda premium

McQueefus

Jul 27, 2010
I don't have root. This is how my phone came from tmobile. Can anyone else that has not unlocked there bootloader or rooted their phone check to see if your phone says tampered?

joshnichols189

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago
If a stock rom is flashed you won't have root but it will still say tampered on the hboot,

McQueefus

Jul 27, 2010
Yes but I have not flashed anything. this is how it came from tmobile. Do you think my phone was messed with before I bought it?

azzledazzle

Dec 12, 2010
XDA Sucks !
If you havent touched it, Meaning you havent flashed a recovery nor a ROM or root.. and your phone is 100%stock...

I would send it back, and say wtf is this ? lol, Or if you are going to mod it eventually, leave it as it is.. root it and flash a custom ROM now :D

McQueefus

Jul 27, 2010
Yeah I do plan on rooting eventually but it makes me a little curious as to why the hell it says this when I have not messed with it at all. It makes me wonder who has? Now if I go to take it back tmobile will think I did it.

azzledazzle

Dec 12, 2010
XDA Sucks !
they could do, but its obvious you havent because the bootloader is locked, you cant flash stuff with a locked bootloader.. If they do ask questions, act dumb

'wtf is bootloader ?' 'wtf is htcdev?' you should be fine, You've only just got the phone..

McQueefus

Jul 27, 2010
Yeah that is true. I will probably exchange it tomorrow. There is probably nothing wrong with it but it kinda gives me a funny feeling because it already says tampered. Like I said I plan to root but it makes me wonder if anyone else bought a phone like this.

ascot17

Dec 17, 2006
Yeah that is true. I will probably exchange it tomorrow. There is probably nothing wrong with it but it kinda gives me a funny feeling because it already says tampered. Like I said I plan to root but it makes me wonder if anyone else bought a phone like this.

The phone should not come like that!

It appears that you have been sold a refurbished phone as new. In the UK that is illegal! I don't know where you are, but would think that it would also be illegal wherever you live. I would certainly return it. Rather than plead ignorance, I would say that you googled the 'tampered' issue and know that it means the phone does not have stock software installed. Kick up a real stink and ask for compensation - get them to give you a free case or something for it.....?

Reactions: khan.orak
G

GuestX0019

I don't have root. This is how my phone came from tmobile. Can anyone else that has not unlocked there bootloader or rooted their phone check to see if your phone says tampered?

I will let you know tonite--get mine then--:D

But, as my first post here, I think it is used--hope not

dmart1633

Feb 17, 2012
Tampered means non-official software such as root. Unlocking the bootloader does not cause it to say tampered.

I agree that it should not cause it to say tampered, However I also attempted the unlock with the purpose to root and it came back with tampered. This caused the boot-loader to lock and now I have a soft-brick. Now I cant flash anything. Has anyone found a solution to this yet? I am able to re-lock it but still shows tampered and the boot-loader locked up.

joshnichols189

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago
If you flash something it will always say tampered even if you relock the bootloader.

G

GuestX0019

got mine tonite, no tampered, even after unlocking bootloader--

psych0t1c

Jul 30, 2005
earth.europe.de
Are you sure? Got a screenshot of the bootloader?

Maybe you got delivered a ENG HBOOT device by some weird chance or something. That would help devs temendously.

Cause I have not yet heard of a properly unlocked device that does not say tampered. To the contrary, everyone left and right is trying hard to get rid of it...

Milly7

Oct 21, 2010
It may only say tampered when you relock it if I am not mistaken. I have a rezound that did not say tampered but just unlocked because I had yet to relock boot loader (I eventually switched to an eng boot loader). As for the op, I would return the phone because it is quite possible someone unlocked it to play around with it wherever you bought it from. What they did could cause problems down the line, not of your own doing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My handset is also showing TAMPERED and LOCKED. It was one of the early batches. I phoned the shop, but unfortunately as I have had the phone since early April they said they would need to send it to HTC for a warranty repair.

I brought it up in an online chat with HTC support and they don't seem to have information on this.

Update: HTC looked into it and sent me an email saying

"We have been looking into this for you. The "Tampered" words on your bootloader mean that the operating system has been modified or rooting in some way. This means that this will affect your warranty. I do apologize for the bad news regarding this."

Given that I haven't actually done anything to the OS, this isn't helpful at all. >_<

Strongly suggest you go to the shop physically and show them what it is and tell them you had not tried to root or done anything which would cause it to show tampered. So it means they sold you a bad device. And this is not obvious thing to notice so as a normal end user you should not have performed the bootloader check but the point of sell should ensure the quality of their product. Therefore, this device should be classified as DOA, defective on arrival. So the shop should exchange it.

Be strong, confused and very worried, mention this thing voids your warrenty so very serious and show a bit angry, but not too much. If it is a responsible shop or operator, it should listen to you.

The bottom line, ask them to call HTC customer rep and ask them to speak to HTC first. Emphresise you had done nothing but use the phone properly. If they can not describe the thing clearly, take the phone and speak to HTC yourself. But make sure the shop is on your side.

Worst case, if HTC still insist that you had caused the tamper, tell them to check you imei to see if you had unlocked via HTC dev website. That's the only way you would have rooted the device.

Nightmare case, they checked their record and found out your device had been unlocked, ask them to verify when that was done, they must have that info. So the date should be before when you bought it. So at this point, you are cleared and could immediately shout back: what a hell you allowed a unlocked and non-warrenty device to be on the market! And they would apollogise then you walk away with a shinny new one s.

End of story.

Sent from my HTC One S using XDA

The phone should not come like that!

It appears that you have been sold a refurbished phone as new. In the UK that is illegal! I don't know where you are, but would think that it would also be illegal wherever you live. I would certainly return it. Rather than plead ignorance, I would say that you googled the 'tampered' issue and know that it means the phone does not have stock software installed. Kick up a real stink and ask for compensation - get them to give you a free case or something for it.....?
    not even sure how to do screenshot,

Pressing power and home button at the same time might do the trick

Edit: but of course that won't help if your in fast boot lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    Totally agree with h.han, don't let them get away with it.

I brought mine on release and after a few emails to HTC and Handtec all sorted.

Took my old one in today and picked up the new one as arranged, no issues.

As a foot note the guys from Hantec where great and from the outset only appeared to want to help - they even mentioned that the phone was showing signs of chipping which I had never noticed because I always had the gel case on it!

Now the debate is wether to keep this or get rid as a new unopended unit?
    It is a great phone but worth this grief? decisions, decisions...
    My handset is also showing TAMPERED and LOCKED. It was one of the early batches. I phoned the shop, but unfortunately as I have had the phone since early April they said they would need to send it to HTC for a warranty repair.

I brought it up in an online chat with HTC support and they don't seem to have information on this.

Update: HTC looked into it and sent me an email saying

"We have been looking into this for you. The "Tampered" words on your bootloader mean that the operating system has been modified or rooting in some way. This means that this will affect your warranty. I do apologize for the bad news regarding this."

Given that I haven't actually done anything to the OS, this isn't helpful at all. >_<

Yea, I would open a ticket up by email, so you can write it all down there and attach photo's of the bootloader. The important thing to remember here is that we CANNOT put the phone back to a 'LOCKED' state ourselves. So if it is still showing as 'LOCKED' yet is 'TAMPERED' then there is no way you could have done that yourself (as far as I understand it)

This is the reply I had from HTC after I sent them pictures etc.

"Thank you for providing me with the additional details to enable me to resolve your enquiry. I will continue with the escalation simply for investigative reasons as this is a worrying issue regardless, I would be interested to see if any replacement from T-Mobile has the same issue.
    I am sorry to hear that you are also having issue with the Micro-Arc Oxidation on your HTC One S and hope that your have a better experience with your next HTC One S handset I look forward to hearing that this has resolved your enquiry, to close your email or alternatively to reply to me please follow the links below. You will shortly receive an email asking you to submit your feedback, I would appreciate if you could take the time to let me know about the level of service I have provided you with."