[SCRIPT] Remove Cell Standby Service (No Effect on Battery Life!)

Search This thread

xboxexpert

Aug 1, 2007
www.thexboxexpert.com
WARNING: I've added this to my script and for some reason it has an adverse effect on the "n" button and Lock Screen if used BEFORE you complete the SetupWizard !!!
WARNING: Again BE WARNED if you do this mod before you finish the setup wizard you will loose the functionality of your "n" button and Lock Screen !!!

I have a feeling poster before me copied and pasted this from somewhere because notice how in his first sentence he says "Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk" but then his script says "Mms.apk"....what happened to Phone.apk because there is no Mms.apk in the system folder on any Nook I have. So below is the corrected script and also this entire process in done in dos instead of in adb;

Code:
adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
adb shell mv /system/app/Phone.apk /system/app/Phone.OLD
adb shell mv /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk /system/app/TelephonyProvider.OLD
adb reboot
There is no adverse effect from doing this & it's confirmed after while in NookTools there is no Cell Standy service running.

Download [REMOVAL]

Want to undo this process?
Code:
adb shell mv /system/app/Phone.OLD /system/app/Phone.apk
adb shell mv /system/app/TelephonyProvider.OLD /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk
adb reboot

Download [UNDO REMOVAL]

Last edited:

gedster314

Sep 7, 2007
Oxnard, Ca
I have a feeling poster before me copied and pasted this from somewhere because notice how in his first sentence he says "Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk" but then his script says "Mms.apk"....what happened to Phone.apk because there is no Mms.apk in the system folder

90% of the internet are sites posting info from other sites. Be glad he didn't slap on some ads.

DC_Rob

Dec 23, 2010
I'm new here, but trying to learn.

Your code is:
adb shell mv /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk /system/app/TelephonyProvider.OLD
adb reboot

would it make sense to add:
adb shell mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
before the reboot? Or does that get done automatically upon reboot? I assume it is bad to leave it rw and not reset it to ro?

Thanks for this, I ran 'most' of your other script.
Auto-nooter, your script, adw launcher and it is coming along nicely. Still debating remapping the volume keys to back/menu...

Ben74

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 18, 2006
I'm new here, but trying to learn.

Your code is:
adb reboot

would it make sense to add:
adb shell mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
before the reboot? Or does that get done automatically upon reboot? I assume it is bad to leave it rw and not reset it to ro?

Thanks for this, I ran 'most' of your other script.
Auto-nooter, your script, adw launcher and it is coming along nicely. Still debating remapping the volume keys to back/menu...

yes, the system partition goes back to RO after a reboot

wvcachi

Jul 20, 2010
Chicago
Just to play devil's advocate, does anyone know if it's really improving battery life, rather than just no longer reporting cell standby under battery use details?

Reactions: xxiworld

Salt72

Dec 4, 2010
Indianapolis
No such file or directory?

I keep getting an error message stating the following:

"failed on '/system/app/phone.apk' - No such file or directory"

If I navigate to that file using Astro File Manager I can see the files, so I can't figure out what I'm missing here.

wvcachi

Jul 20, 2010
Chicago
I keep getting an error message stating the following:

"failed on '/system/app/phone.apk' - No such file or directory"

If I navigate to that file using Astro File Manager I can see the files, so I can't figure out what I'm missing here.

Try capitalizing the file names.

Not to beat a dead horse, but this can easily be done in Root Explorer. All you're doing is renaming two files.

crash447

Feb 27, 2010
Not to be a cheapskate, but is there a free version of Root Explorer or a similar app that will do the same?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: I've added this to my script and for some reason it has an adverse effect on the "n" button and Lock Screen if used BEFORE you complete the SetupWizard !!!
    WARNING: Again BE WARNED if you do this mod before you finish the setup wizard you will loose the functionality of your "n" button and Lock Screen !!!

I have a feeling poster before me copied and pasted this from somewhere because notice how in his first sentence he says "Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk" but then his script says "Mms.apk"....what happened to Phone.apk because there is no Mms.apk in the system folder on any Nook I have. So below is the corrected script and also this entire process in done in dos instead of in adb;

Code:
    adb reboot
    There is no adverse effect from doing this & it's confirmed after while in NookTools there is no Cell Standy service running.

Download [REMOVAL]

Want to undo this process?
    Code:
    adb shell mv /system/app/Phone.OLD /system/app/Phone.apk
    adb shell mv /system/app/TelephonyProvider.OLD /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk
    adb reboot

Download [UNDO REMOVAL]
    I am the person who added this information to the Wiki and I did it specifically for the Nookie Froyo build, which is why it includes the Mms.apk.

I could care less one way or the other who uses it or for what purpose, I am just glad that we can use it on our devices using the stock software as well as the Froyo build.

It is perfectly reasonable to expect that more than one person could come to the same conclusion about the impact of removing these services, so please ease up on mrodlies and xboxexpert and lets get on with life.. :)

In addition, this "trick" has been documented several times in threads for different tablet devices without cell based services....

-Robert
    I invented the internet. YOU'RE WELCOME!
    thanks, just got my NC yesterday, and already updated/rooted + done this hack :)
    So you are saying that "Battery Use" is not accurate and does not do what the name implies?

It's a false positive. In this case it's showing up but there is no difference. Period.

I have not messed with my wife's Nook Color phone apk's and hers loses 0% damn near forever... Once didn't drop a single percent in 14 hours of standby.