AT&T HTC One on Vodaphone in NZ

Search This thread

Epos7

Jun 5, 2012
I'm from the US and am in New Zealand for a month. I own an HTC One which I purchased from AT&T and have been using on their network in the States. I've unlocked the phone, and also have S-Off. I've purchased a prepaid SIM card from Vodaphone in New Zealand. When I insert the SIM card, the phone asks me for the 8 digit SIM unlock code, so I entered the 8 digit PUK code provided by Vodaphone with the SIM. The phone tells me this code is invalid. I'm not quite sure why this isn't working - is it possible I need to load a different firmware to use the phone in New Zealand?

Kernel is 3.4.10-g31f7883
Firmware looks like 3.62.401.1

I'm currently using ViperOne ROM.

Certainly appreciate any input on this issue.

Thanks,
Josh

Epos7

Jun 5, 2012
Well, I did not realize that bootloader unlock and SIM unlock are two different things. That's a bit confusing. Wish I had figured that out prior to flying here.

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
I'm from the US and am in New Zealand for a month. I own an HTC One which I purchased from AT&T and have been using on their network in the States. I've unlocked the phone, and also have S-Off. I've purchased a prepaid SIM card from Vodaphone in New Zealand. When I insert the SIM card, the phone asks me for the 8 digit SIM unlock code, so I entered the 8 digit PUK code provided by Vodaphone with the SIM. The phone tells me this code is invalid. I'm not quite sure why this isn't working - is it possible I need to load a different firmware to use the phone in New Zealand?

Kernel is 3.4.10-g31f7883
Firmware looks like 3.62.401.1

I'm currently using ViperOne ROM.

Certainly appreciate any input on this issue.

Thanks,
Josh

If I remember correctly (this is all from memory), for the unlock code to work, you need
1) correct (original) CID and MID
2) stock ROM (some were able to do it on custom ROMs, but not sure if all work or only certain ones)
3) stock firmware for above ROM
4) stock recovery
5) LOCKED or RELOCKED bootloader

6) S-Off won't matter, and that will be your ticket to unlock again

you can search the forum here for SIM UNLOCK, there are quite a few similar cases, which got solved by a combination of points 1 through 5.

Epos7

Jun 5, 2012
If anyone stumbles onto this thread in the future...

Turns out I needed a code from AT&T, as I needed to carrier unlock the phone before being able to use the Vodaphone SIM. I tried contacting AT&T to get the code, but they won't give it to you unless you are out of contract.

I was able to get an unlock code using option 5 in this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2242473

I loaded a stock ROM, but left the bootloader and my custom recovery on there, and the unlock code worked just fine.