Tab Pro 8.4 connects to wifi on 2.4 and not 5, any way to get it to use 5?

Search This thread

Raistlin1

Oct 1, 2010
I have a Netgear Knighthawk router and the main network is one name that utilizes both 2.4 and 5 and as long as the connecting device supports it, it should connect on that band.

My Nexus 5 and wife's S4 which are right next to my Tab are connected on the 5 band.

Any ideas on how I can force the Tab Pro to connect mm on 5?

Thanks

cloud71

Jan 31, 2012
apostolic.dowagiaclighthouse.com
I can't remember in detail but I had mine connected to 5ghz but switched to 2.4 a while back.

If your tab can't see the network or is having a prob connecting to it, then enable broadcast if its disabled

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Raistlin1

Oct 1, 2010
I can't remember in detail but I had mine connected to 5ghz but switched to 2.4 a while back.

If your tab can't see the network or is having a prob connecting to it, then enable broadcast if its disabled

My network only has one name but it is both 2.4 & 5 so when I connect its only one option.

Try changing the 5GHz channel your router is using.

Sent from my M80TA using Tapatalk

I will try this, I have been messing with the channels for the 2.4 but forgot to do that with 5.

Thanks

Raistlin1

Oct 1, 2010
If your using both 2.4 and 5 at same time, that might be your problem. Change the name of one of them. Xxxx5. Or something

I would really like to keep it as one network, I have had it like this since I set it up and have had zero issues. All AC devices connect to 5 and N to 2.4, this is the first time it may be an issue but my wife's S4 connects to 5 with no issues currently.

silvscorp

Jan 30, 2007
I have a Netgear Knighthawk router and the main network is one name that utilizes both 2.4 and 5 and as long as the connecting device supports it, it should connect on that band.

My Nexus 5 and wife's S4 which are right next to my Tab are connected on the 5 band.

Thanks

It seems your tab pro might be defective and not able to connect to 802.11ac, it can only connect to 802.11n which on your routher is running on 2.4GHz.

cloud71

Jan 31, 2012
apostolic.dowagiaclighthouse.com
I had an issue with wifi one, for some reason it wasn't connecting right after some investigations. I enabled ssid broadcast and it worked again. I'm figuri g it was the rom being glitchy.

So try enabling broadcast if its disabled and see it that works

Raistlin1

Oct 1, 2010
It seems your tab pro might be defective and not able to connect to 802.11ac, it can only connect to 802.11n which on your routher is running on 2.4GHz.

Tested out my Tab by connecting to my guest 5ghz network and tab connected fine. My router let's you combine the main network 2.4 and 5 into one name but guest network must be two separate names for the 2.4 and 5.

I had an issue with wifi one, for some reason it wasn't connecting right after some investigations. I enabled ssid broadcast and it worked again. I'm figuri g it was the rom being glitchy.

So try enabling broadcast if its disabled and see it that works

ssid broadcast was already enabled

silvscorp

Jan 30, 2007
Tested out my Tab by connecting to my guest 5ghz network and tab connected fine. My router let's you combine the main network 2.4 and 5 into one name but guest network must be two separate names for the 2.4 and 5.

Are you sure that your guest network 5Ghz is running with 802.11ac and not A/N mode?

edlabh

Nov 29, 2010
There are some incompatibility with tab pro and some routers.
I'm using tp-link wdr4600, 2.4ghz and 5ghz works fine. A friend, using different router, has the same problem as you, and sometimes the connection drops.

Last edited:

blulite

Aug 28, 2010

Thanks

Have you loaded a ROM other than USA? I'll look for the link, or search for posts by me, but i had a similar problem with an S4, and it turned out to be some countries outside US use different frequencies that keep it from connecting at 5ghz. Just needed to change a couple of settings in some files and all was good, or load a USA ROM.

Raistlin1

Oct 1, 2010
I haven't loaded any ROMS, running stock version that came with Tab from my US Best Buy purchase and I also did the OTA update.

I haven't checked if my Tab is running on N or AC when connected to my guest 5ghz network, I will have to check that soon. I will also need to find someone who has an AC network and a different router so I can test it out there, but I have a feeling this may be a little difficult for me to do.

Edit: So I checked my router and the 5GHz guest network is automatically set for a/n/ac and there is no option to change it. When viewing my Tab on the connected devices screen I cannot tell if it's connected as n or ac, how can I find this out? Any way to find this out via the Tab?

Last edited:

silvscorp

Jan 30, 2007
I haven't loaded any ROMS, running stock version that came with Tab from my US Best Buy purchase and I also did the OTA update.

I haven't checked if my Tab is running on N or AC when connected to my guest 5ghz network, I will have to check that soon. I will also need to find someone who has an AC network and a different router so I can test it out there, but I have a feeling this may be a little difficult for me to do.

Edit: So I checked my router and the 5GHz guest network is automatically set for a/n/ac and there is no option to change it. When viewing my Tab on the connected devices screen I cannot tell if it's connected as n or ac, how can I find this out? Any way to find this out via the Tab?

you can get a app called "network signal info" and install on your tab and other phones. in the app it can tell you what frequency you are connected at.

Raistlin1

Oct 1, 2010
you can get a app called "network signal info" and install on your tab and other phones. in the app it can tell you what frequency you are connected at.

Tried that app out but all I could see on the statistics was that I was connected to the 5.something Ghz band, this was while I was on my guest 5Ghz specific wifi. I did not see anything about being "N" or "AC". Maybe I am not fully understanding this, but I thought AC was always in the 5Ghz band, is that not correct?