Superuser not working after downgrade

Search This thread

czach5932

Jan 25, 2013
Gretna
I hope i'm not overlooking a thread where this was a problem but i'm at a loss after looking for 3 days. I was running Tonked world edition v2 (android 4.0.3) without problems for almost a year when I saw that 4.3 PAC was released for the Rezound and I thought I would try it out. It was a lot of fun but I use my tablet for most everything and world edition seemed to give better battery life. Everything worked fine with PAC when it was running and I got world edition restored just fine but for some reason superuser is acting really weird. It would allow any app that had super user permissions before the upgrade to work fine but any new app that needed root permissions after the restore is not working. I've been using Root Checker after each trial to see if root access has been restored and nothing works. Not even a request for root permissions shows up. I booted up the phone using adb to make sure I had boot access and flashed both superuser app 3.1.3 and 3.2-RC3 and also tried just the binaries 3.1.1 (each individually of course). After trying to flash superuser through recovery even though the apps listed in superuser were stil there nothing was being granted super user access anymore. I noticed that su in system/bin didn't have correct permissions and root browser wasn't able to change anything after losing root permissions so I used adb shell to try and change permissions, which I was able to change, but it didn't do anything to help the problem. The weird thing is even after wiping the system, cache, and davilk multiple times and a fresh install of the rom the same problem persists. The only thing I can think of is somehow the built in superuser app (part of aokp) is still interfearing with superuser somehow but I have no idea and like I said i'm stil at a loss of what else to try.

I apologize in advance if this has been answered somewhere eles but if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very greatful.

I appreciate any help in advance and even the slightest advice will be helpful, thanks again.

Last edited:

REV3NT3CH

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
I hope i'm not overlooking a thread where this was a problem but i'm at a loss after looking for 3 days. I was running Tonked world edition v2 (android 4.0.3) without problems for almost a year when I saw that 4.3 PAC was released for the Rezound and I thought I would try it out. It was a lot of fun but I use my tablet for most everything and world edition seemed to give better battery life. Everything worked fine with PAC when it was running and I got world edition restored just fine but for some reason superuser is acting really weird. It would allow any app that had super user permissions before the upgrade to work fine but any new app that needed root permissions after the restore is not working. I've been using Root Checker after each trial to see if root access has been restored and nothing works. Not even a request for root permissions shows up. I booted up the phone using adb to make sure I had boot access and flashed both superuser app 3.1.3 and 3.2-RC3 and also tried just the binaries 3.1.1 (each individually of course). After trying to flash superuser through recovery even though the apps listed in superuser were stil there nothing was being granted super user access anymore. I noticed that su in system/bin didn't have correct permissions and root browser wasn't able to change anything after losing root permissions so I used adb shell to try and change permissions, which I was able to change, but it didn't do anything to help the problem. The weird thing is even after wiping the system, cache, and davilk multiple times and a fresh install of the rom the same problem persists. The only thing I can think of is somehow the built in superuser app (part of aokp) is still interfearing with superuser somehow but I have no idea and like I said i'm stil at a loss of what else to try.

I apologize in advance if this has been answered somewhere eles but if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very greatful.

I appreciate any help in advance and even the slightest advice will be helpful, thanks again.

go to settings> about phone> and tap build number until deveoloper options are available....when enabled go back into settings and go to developer options and ensure root access has access to apps and adb

Reactions: czach5932

czach5932

Jan 25, 2013
Gretna
go to settings> about phone> and tap build number until deveoloper options are available....when enabled go back into settings and go to developer options and ensure root access has access to apps and adb

Developers options were already visible from the beginning with the Rom but that option to restrict root to apps and/or adb isn't there (at least on 4.0). I know the setting your talking about and I'm going to see if there is another way to enable it.

mjones73

Apr 5, 2010
North East, MD
I would assume your current rom has SU built in, may want to consider a clean install. At least back up your current one and install it clean (with no app data restored) to see if it fixes the problem.

czach5932

Jan 25, 2013
Gretna
what recovery did you try to install superuser from

CWM based recovery by Flyhalf205 v6.0.1.9
Never had any problem until now. I tried Amon-ra a long time ago but it wouldn't wipe correctly sip I've stuck work this one

I would assume your current rom has SU built in, may want to consider a clean install. At least back up your current one and install it clean (with no app data restored) to see if it fixes the problem.

This Rom doesn't have su built in and I've tried about every combination of wipes, flashes, and restores

-Trial-
I noticed that in system/bin that there were two files, su and su.bak su was at 0 bytes and su.bak was at 23k and I tried switching them around and also giving su.bak (renamed to su) full 777 permissions but nothing worked. After the file modification root checker failed much quicker though. Changed everything back

I just noticed after changing everything back that su had its permissions changed again. It is listed as -rwsr-sr-x which is full read only user write and full execute with suid and sgid special. I'm trying to find out but I can't find how to give all permisions with suid and sgid. Any idea if any of this helps or is the culprit?

Last edited:

REV3NT3CH

Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
Never had any problem until now. I tried Amon-ra a long time ago but it wouldn't wipe correctly sip I've stuck work this one

This Rom doesn't have su built in and I've tried about every combination of wipes, flashes, and restores

-Trial-
I noticed that in system/bin that there were two files, su and su.bak su was at 0 bytes and su.bak was at 23k and I tried switching them around and also giving su.bak (renamed to su) full 777 permissions but nothing worked. After the file modification root checker failed much quicker though. Changed everything back

I just noticed after changing everything back that su had its permissions changed again. It is listed as -rwsr-sr-x which is full read only user write and full execute with suid and sgid special. I'm trying to find out but I can't find how to give all permisions with suid and sgid. Any idea if any of this helps or is the culprit?

install AMON RA 3.16 as it has the super user fixed into it under advanced....once installed just reflash your custom recovery of your choice....also that version of cwm is way out of date you want version 6.0.3.6...they get updated for many reasons such as stuff like this

mjones73

Apr 5, 2010
North East, MD

This Rom doesn't have su built in and I've tried about every combination of wipes, flashes, and restores.

Kind of surprising someone would release a modded Sense ROM with no su..

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

czach5932

Jan 25, 2013
Gretna
I'll try that as soon as I can. I figured why change something if it's not broken. I appreciate the help and I'll report back as soon as I can

- UPDATE-

Tried to use Amon-RA 3.16 and use the SU fix option under advanced options. It removed my other super user app and replaced it but nothing changed, no popup to ask for super user permissions. After that I booted up cwm 6.0.3.6 touch a couple of times and like it so I decided to flash it and now data and wi-fi are not working. But before flashing, I booted it up a couple time and tried wiping everything (3x) and tried both a clean install and a restore and same problem. Neither the Amon-RA, 3.1, or the 3.2 nor the manually flashed binarys do anything. I also found how to change the premissions for su but now when I try to chmod anything it says read only system. Seems like i'm going backwards and making no progress.

I still appreciate any and all help.

Sent from my SCH-i815 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

REV3NT3CH

Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
I'll try that as soon as I can. I figured why change something if it's not broken. I appreciate the help and I'll report back as soon as I can

Sent from my SCH-i815 using XDA Premium HD app

also if im not mistaken...tonked had a mass multitude of issues for me....if you need the phone for global use and trying to stay stock and stable as possible there is much better options...to further help...for all ICS roms and lower use Amon Ra 3.16 period...for anything higher like jellybean or kitkat use cwm or twrp...amon ra was meant for the earlier roms as cwm and twrp were not

czach5932

Jan 25, 2013
Gretna
also if im not mistaken...tonked had a mass multitude of issues for me....if you need the phone for global use and trying to stay stock and stable as possible there is much better options...to further help...for all ICS roms and lower use Amon Ra 3.16 period...for anything higher like jellybean or kitkat use cwm or twrp...amon ra was meant for the earlier roms as cwm and twrp were not

When I rooted my phone initially Amon-ra it wouldn't wipe correctly and kept force closing everything which is why I went with cwm. Before I went to pac and android 4.3 everything worked perfectly. I just don't understand why (with full wipes) and a restore with upgraded recoveries something from 4.3 is still messing with the system.

The main thing I want is longest battery life and if you can suggest something I'll try it but Tonked gave me over three days on one charge with minimal use. I could get 6+ hrs talk time with hours of Mog with a single charge. I'll try anything. My screen is cracked so I'm thinking of using warranty and get a refurbished phone and restoring that way but I don't want to be out a hundred bucks.

Last edited:

REV3NT3CH

Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
When I rooted my phone initially Amon-ra it wouldn't wipe correctly and kept force closing everything which is why I went with cwm. Before I went to pac and android 4.3 everything worked perfectly. I just don't understand why (with full wipes) and a restore with upgraded recoveries something from 4.3 is still messing with the system.

The main thing I want is longest battery life and if you can suggest something I'll try it but Tonked gave me over three days on one charge with minimal use. I could get 6+ hrs talk time with hours of Mog with a single charge. I'll try anything. My screen is cracked so I'm thinking of using warranty and get a refurbished phone and restoring that way but I don't want to be out a hundred bucks.

because with any recovery...a full clean wipe meaning you wipe cache, dalvik cache, system, boot, data, factory wipe, and android secure. you still have the main internal files that never get touched by any recovery....if your s-off you can run my downgrade upgrade guide to get back to full stock as the ruu's fully wipe everything....ive actually managed with both talon 1.0 and tachyon to get 24+ hourse of normal use

czach5932

Jan 25, 2013
Gretna
because with any recovery...a full clean wipe meaning you wipe cache, dalvik cache, system, boot, data, factory wipe, and android secure. you still have the main internal files that never get touched by any recovery....if your s-off you can run my downgrade upgrade guide to get back to full stock as the ruu's fully wipe everything....ive actually managed with both talon 1.0 and tachyon to get 24+ hourse of normal use

But how would flashing pac modify anything that a full restore wouldn't change back? I know I used a ruu before, maybe I need to go and do that back to bone stock and upgrade from there. I go out of town for a couple of days and I'll try that and let you know. If you can think of anything else I will be greatly appreciative. Thanks Austin.

REV3NT3CH

Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
But how would flashing pac modify anything that a full restore wouldn't change back? I know I used a ruu before, maybe I need to go and do that back to bone stock and upgrade from there. I go out of town for a couple of days and I'll try that and let you know. If you can think of anything else I will be greatly appreciative. Thanks Austin.

again...most recoveries only wipes so much to an extent....even most samsung devices no matter how much you wipe in recovery you will eventually have to odin back to stock to start fresh as certain things are left behind from flashes...im only assuming some of your issues on 4.3 was sd mounting issues as well as rebooting....in the posts for them are the fixes for those issues...some of which requires TWRP only to fix...twrp is more stable than any of the recoveries because it has the fullest amount of wiping methods that you can ask for and always gets the job done right...get 2.6.3.0 as 2.6.3.3 is for kit kat only

czach5932

Jan 25, 2013
Gretna

Not sure if I have time this weekend but I just read your s-off tutorial and it seems straight forward but what I'm wondering about is going back to stock. Do I have to go all the way back to stock or could I just use the most recent ruu on your downgrade tutorial to get close enough to stock to wipe the rest of 4.3 and then go back to my Tonked Rom?

Never mind read the tutorial wrong. Will hopefully try this later and I'm hoping to get everything back to normal.

Last edited:

czach5932

Jan 25, 2013
Gretna
I didn't have time for s-off or time to go back to bone stock (your tutorial) but I did flash the latest ruu and got it to boot to bone stock ics and then flashed the same Tonked Rom and it booted and runs just fine but the only thing that it's granted su access is su itself. No time to mess with anything else yet but looks like I'm running out of options. I'll try your tutorial if I can.

REV3NT3CH

Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
I didn't have time for s-off or time to go back to bone stock (your tutorial) but I did flash the latest ruu and got it to boot to bone stock ics and then flashed the same Tonked Rom and it booted and runs just fine but the only thing that it's granted su access is su itself. No time to mess with anything else yet but looks like I'm running out of options. I'll try your tutorial if I can.

ha ok i see what you did....when flashing that ph98img file you wiped everything....even superuser....re download amon ra 3.1.6 recovery and install su&superuser via developer options in that and youll have su again

czach5932

Jan 25, 2013
Gretna
ha ok i see what you did....when flashing that ph98img file you wiped everything....even superuser....re download amon ra 3.1.6 recovery and install su&superuser via developer options in that and youll have su again

Well even though I tried this before flashing the ruu but after flashing supersu in recovery everything is working correctly. i'm not sure why though but I lost both my two recent cwm backups (even though I used spare sd card during ruu flash). When I went to restore from my main 64 gig sd card, even tough the folder with the date showed up, when I went to restore it said no backup avail (or something like that) and then the folder disapeared. Also haven't had time to figure why backup disappeared or if any backups are currently working but i'll cross that bridge when I get time.

But back to the main issue. Looks like superuser has been having problems with a recent update where people were having the same problem I was having. I attributed it to downgrading but looks like a faulty app update (even though when I tried to look into it no one had said the update had any problems) I guess the upside was I wanted to reset my rom to stock and kinda reset, not really the way I wanted to do it, but lemons to lemonade. I really appreciate all the help and sorry for the stupid problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Developers options were already visible from the beginning with the Rom but that option to restrict root to apps and/or adb isn't there (at least on 4.0). I know the setting your talking about and I'm going to see if there is another way to enable it.

what recovery did you try to install superuser from

-Trial-

install AMON RA 3.16 as it has the super user fixed into it under advanced....once installed just reflash your custom recovery of your choice....also that version of cwm is way out of date you want version 6.0.3.6...they get updated for many reasons such as stuff like this

This Rom doesn't have su built in and I've tried about every combination of wipes, flashes, and restores.

Kind of surprising someone would release a modded Sense ROM with no su..

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk