Wireless Charging

Search This thread

TheBiles

Jan 27, 2010
North Carolina
www.flickr.com
I don't have my DNA yet, but I have a couple of the Palm Pre plus Inductive charging docks,

I would assume the DNA just has some magnetic induction charging coils? I would like to see if I can charge it using the charger I already have, or if I am retarded.

Ideas?

The DNA uses the Qi wireless charging standard. Other chargers will not work.

Sent from my Droid DNA

Reactions: boushidosan

MikaelPe

Jun 8, 2012
Stony Brook
Car Dock with Qi charging for DNA...

All, we here at iBOLT have been testing a new and soon-to-be announced car-dock with integrated Qi charging designed for the DNA (and also all other HTC phones). I've been driving around with it today, literally. We'll make sure that a link is posted here in this thread as soon as we can share photos and specs (about a week or so). So far it works very well without case and also with a gel case or a 1-layered hard case. However, when tested with a super heavy case that has both a hard shell then a rubber cover the wireless charging doesn't reach all the way to the phone, or it is very weak. Our concept for this car-dock is to start the car-mode with an NFC tag so you can use the very nice integrated HTC car-mode app or download an after-market solution like CarHome Ultra. Or, you can just program the NFC tag to start your favorite app and connect to Bluetooth (for example).

No MSRP price yet but figure a price similar to a car dock + the charging pad as it's the same components baked into one. We'll do our best to keep it low. A very cool end user experience I must say, just dock the phone with a 1-hand motion and it is charging and it goes into car mode... Stay tuned:)

treadwayj

Nov 7, 2009
Pike Road
All, we here at iBOLT have been testing a new and soon-to-be announced car-dock with integrated Qi charging designed for the DNA (and also all other HTC phones). I've been driving around with it today, literally. We'll make sure that a link is posted here in this thread as soon as we can share photos and specs (about a week or so). So far it works very well without case and also with a gel case or a 1-layered hard case. However, when tested with a super heavy case that has both a hard shell then a rubber cover the wireless charging doesn't reach all the way to the phone, or it is very weak. Our concept for this car-dock is to start the car-mode with an NFC tag so you can use the very nice integrated HTC car-mode app or download an after-market solution like CarHome Ultra. Or, you can just program the NFC tag to start your favorite app and connect to Bluetooth (for example).

No MSRP price yet but figure a price similar to a car dock + the charging pad as it's the same components baked into one. We'll do our best to keep it low. A very cool end user experience I must say, just dock the phone with a 1-hand motion and it is charging and it goes into car mode... Stay tuned:)

if you happen to need anymore testers i would be happy to volunteer, since i use my phone as a gps unit all the time

weasel0x00

Oct 15, 2011

This is exactly what I've been looking for. Can't wait to get my hands on one of these... Thanks!

JTNiggle

Jun 6, 2010
Pac NW

This is great news, get this thing ready to ship!

My DNA will be here in 5 days, I would love to never have to use a usb charger. I already got a wireless pad for home and work, just need the car dock to round it out. So get his thing out and keep us posted, I'm sure plenty here will buy it when it's ready.

das7982

Feb 28, 2012
Broken Arrow
Did you get the LG one? If so, supposedly the thing beeps super loudly every time the charger turns on according to the Amazon.com reviews.

You are supposed to be able to take it apart and remove the speaker from the board.

I just ordered 2 for $35 ea from there... hoping for the best.

Beep isn't loud. Just got mine today. This thing is solid so far.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium

JTNiggle

Jun 6, 2010
Pac NW

ML417

Jul 26, 2012
Long Island, NY

Is it capable of keeping a GPS + Music Streaming running on the phone and actually charge it? I just did a 7 hour trip and the 1A usb port on my charger actually couldn't keep up with the phone and i had to switch it over to the 2A port to actually keep the battery from decreasing.

also i had an Atrix HD and the car dock came with the charger built in (not wireless, but still charging port nonetheless) I hope this would be priced around the same if not cheaper.

MikaelPe

Jun 8, 2012
Stony Brook
Is it capable of keeping a GPS + Music Streaming running on the phone and actually charge it? I just did a 7 hour trip and the 1A usb port on my charger actually couldn't keep up with the phone and i had to switch it over to the 2A port to actually keep the battery from decreasing.

also i had an Atrix HD and the car dock came with the charger built in (not wireless, but still charging port nonetheless) I hope this would be priced around the same if not cheaper.

Very valid question. If you have the the screen is on full brightness, running GPS, streaming music and making phone calls, the handset must be able to receive "full charge", usually 600-800mA in order to "keep up" and avoid a negative draw. We are just in the testing and evaluating phase of these different scenarios to see if the car-dock must have a "backup" microUSB charging solution to support this scenario. We'll keep everyone posted here in this thread with our findings over the next week or so.

ML417

Jul 26, 2012
Long Island, NY
Very valid question. If you have the the screen is on full brightness, running GPS, streaming music and making phone calls, the handset must be able to receive "full charge", usually 600-800mA in order to "keep up" and avoid a negative draw. We are just in the testing and evaluating phase of these different scenarios to see if the car-dock must have a "backup" microUSB charging solution to support this scenario. We'll keep everyone posted here in this thread with our findings over the next week or so.

As i was saying, i was probably pushing the phone to it's limits with my usage on that trip, but I was exceeding the charge rate from my 1A USB port on my car charger and had to switch it over to the 2A one. though on the same note My phone was unplugged for the first ~3 hours because the charger wasn't in all the way and my DNA only dropped to 17% battery before i realized this and pushed the car charger in properly.

Unless the charger would be pretty close to the break even point i doubt it would be an efficient car dock for anything but short trips which wont require GPS usage or a car dock.

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
For all who keep asking:

Wireless charging is for convenience, not efficiency.
It is well-known that inductive charging is slow and creates a lot of heat from the wasted electricity.

We can only hope its the coils heating up and not the battery. Otherwise it will shorten the battery life considerably. I think it is probably the coils.

Reactions: kenyu73

drumz0rz

Mar 22, 2011
Running some battery stats after a few days of use, it seems that on the Nokia Qi charger I get a charge rate of about 18% per hour. Honestly, that's disappointingly low. At that rate a full charge takes over 5 hours. Does anyone else have this charger and can provide similar tests?

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
Running some battery stats after a few days of use, it seems that on the Nokia Qi charger I get a charge rate of about 18% per hour. Honestly, that's disappointingly low. At that rate a full charge takes over 5 hours. Does anyone else have this charger and can provide similar tests?

They will all likely be that slow. My LG is.

I only use it overnight.

jonjvaughn

Feb 21, 2008
I kind of want to wait and see if anyone develops a wireless charging pad with it's own battery, such that it can be used as current pads, but also as a portable battery (charging in your phone in your pocket, possibly?)

Anyone heard about such a development?

The bad news is that the Powermat Bundle I got did indeed come with a portable battery unit that had a built-in micro cable so you could take a second charge with you. The Powermat had three "pads" so you could charge your phone on one and the portable battery on another plus even another receiver unit that you could plug into a non-wireless device, However, as we've learned, the Powermat is not Qi-compatible and does not charge the phone.

Great idea they have but useless since it's not Qi unless you simply want the portable battery thingie but then why not just get a ZaggSparq?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Car Dock with Qi charging for DNA...

I just picked up a wireless charging pad from my VZW store.

I love it!

I can now just set my phone on the nightstand next to the bed and not have to worry about plugging it in.

Thank you HTC for finally making this built in, and not an option!

D

Orb is working great on my DNA even with the diztronic case on it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app
    I'm thinking of getting one. Which is the best for around $60. Was thinking of getting the one for the n4

I originally purchased the LG charging pad, for my DNA.

It works great, but I was tempted to try out the Nokia vertical charger, which charges your phone while keeping in upright.

I found the Nokia charger at a local AT&T store, and decided to spring for it. Costs about $70.

There are two advantages to the Nokia Wireless Charging Stand, in my opinion, over the LG pad, or other pads.

First, it takes up much less space on your desk or dresser. The pads need to be approximately the size of your cell phone, while the stand only needs room for a base, to hold the phone upright.

2nd, I downloaded Ady Clock from Google Play, a free app, which displays a clock with monthly calendar below it, along with battery level, sunrise/sunset times, and an alarm, all in dark blue against a black backdrop, to minimize battery drain!

This FREE app can be configured so that whenever I place my DNA on the Nokia Charging Stand, the phone launches and displays the Ady Clock clock/calendar! I can also configure it to either remain on indefinitely, or turn off after a limited time period, so that my phone charges more quickly!

While the LG charger works great, and charged my phone fine, my DNA basically just laid flat on my desk while charging! With the Nokia charger, my phone now doubles as a calendar clock and alarm clock while charging!

Whether or not these added benefits are worth the extra, approx. $20, to you, you'll have to decide.

I've been able to charge my DNA with the Diztronic case, as well as the Ballistic case, on both chargers. They're not the fastest chargers, (I placed my DNA on the Nokia tonight, at 7:30pm, with 13% charge, and it's now at 66% charge, over three hours later), but being I generally place my DNA on the charger right before I go to bed, it hasn't really been an issue.

LOVE not having to plug and unplug USB cables! Hope this helps you decide...

accessories-4372a-450x350.png

3L7I6_aeOZckPhPg2FxKpUvSXrT6Rql9S0b5hYCQuwwpnE-_f-T6FjthfseUGMsL6fsU
    Long Term Use

I have read that wireless charging causes the battery to get warmer than corded charging. I wonder since this is a non-replaceable battery will that effect the overall life of the battery. Is anyone else worried about long term use of a charging pad. I love the idea but wonder if it will cause issues later on.