[GUIDE] How to Install a custom ROM (FROYO)

Search This thread

nbs11

Jul 25, 2010
Chicago
***(do not try to flash Gingerbread ROMs following this guide!)***
How to Install and Flash a Custom FROYO ROM
without losing all your data and/or exploding your phone

Disclaimer
THIS GUIDE AS WELL AS THE ROM YOU WILL HAVE FLASHED IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE CREATOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE OR GUIDE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. INSTALLING A CUSTOM ROM WILL VOID ANY MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY AND MAY VOID ANY ADDITIONAL WARRANTY. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

ONLY TESTED ON AN AT&T SAMSUNG CAPTIVATE.
Back up your files (optional)

You must be rooted for this step. If you are already on a custom ROM you are probably already rooted. If you are on Eclair (2.1) follow step number 2 and then continue here.

1. Download Titanium Backup from the android market (scan the QR code below) and open it.
chart

2. Unplug your phone from your computer if it is plugged in and go to the Backup/Restore tab of Titanium Backup.

3. Press the menu button and then batch. press the button that says RUN next to Back up all user apps + system data. This will take a while, but let it run.

4. When it is done, plug your phone into your computer and mount your phone. Copy the folder Titanium Backup from the root of your phone and save it somewhere. Continue on with this guide.
TIP: Even once your phone is flashed it is a good idea to do backups. You can do them in the same way as this guide.

Downloads

Download the files needed for this guide below. When they are done downloading put them all in a folder.

Drivers http://www.mediafire.com/?fr8bkogcu923wdu
Root file http://www.mediafire.com/?3x7oq2mhcr5r7hl (do not unzip)
ClockWorkMod recovery http://www.mediafire.com/?ve234hbg64ctcu0 (do not unzip)
)

NOTE: This guide only works on Windows. If you have a Mac or Linux, download the files and put them on a flash drive and use someone else's computer. It should only take at most 15 minutes.
TIP: If you have a spare flash drive, keep all these programs on it along with any ROMs you may wish to flash. That way, it will only take a matter of minutes to flash your phone.

step 1: Restore to stock firmware.

If you are currently on eclair (2.1) with the stock firmware you can skip this step. Otherwise, follow the steps below.

1. Install the drivers if you do not already have them. When they are done installing restart your computer. You can find these drivers in the drivers folder of your downloaded folder (Install either the 32bit or 64bit version).

2. Go to the downloaded folder and open ODIN.exe

3. Get into download mode by using one of the three methods shown below. There is a known bug that some people are not able to get into download mode. If the three button thing does not work, try this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=818439
Method 1: Key Combination 1 (recommended)
1. Remove your battery, external SD card and SIM card
2. Reinsert battery and battery cover.
3. Hold down both volume buttons and while holding them down plug the phone in.

Method 2: Key Combination 2 (if method 1 doesn't work)
3. Hold down both volume buttons and the power button.

Method 3: ADB (for advanced users.)
1. Download the android SDK from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html (NOT THE .EXE VERSION)
2. Drag it into the ROOT (top-most directory) of your hard drive.
3. Open the Command Prompt and navigate to the tools folder in the android SDK.
4. type adb shell then press enter
5. type adb reboot download then press enter
4. Open odin and plug in your phone. Wait 30 seconds or so for your phone to register (when it does one of those strange squares at the top will fill in with seemingly meaningless numbers and letters).

5. Press start and wait until it is finished. Do not unplug for any reason.

4. When it is done you should have a freshly installed stock firmware on 2.1 eclair. Continue to step 2.
step 2: Root the phone.

If you are already rooted skip this step. Note that rooting BEFORE using ODIN does not mean you are still rooted.

1. To begin, mount your phone by plugging it in to the computer (you must have the drivers installed in step 1.1)

2. Go to the root file in the downloaded folder. It is called root.zip. Drag it onto your phone's root directory.

3. Rename the root file to update.zip and then turn your phone off.

4. Unplug your phone and hold down both volume buttons and the power button until a strange menu with blue items pops up. This is called the recovery menu.

5. Use the volume keys to scroll to 'reinstall packages' and press the power button to select. When it is done you will be rooted and then you can just scroll to the restart phone menu item.
step 3: Getting the ROM.

Go to xda and find the rom of your choice. Download it (it will be a .ZIP file) and drag it onto the root (the directory that mounts) of your phone. Do not unzip it. Continue to step 4.
TIP: You can find many ROMs in the Android Development section. Some are better than others. Read the comments to see which one you want to use.

step 4: Install clockwork recovery.

1. Go to the download folder and rename clockworkrecovery.zip to update.zip. Mount your phone and drag the update.zip file into the root directory. It is ok to overwrite the update.zip you used before. When it is done copying turn off your phone.

2. Unplug your phone and hold down both volume buttons and the power button until a strange menu with blue items pops up. This is called the recovery menu.

3. Scroll using the volume buttons to the menu item titled "reinstall packages" and press the power button to select.

4. Your phone should restart and you should be at a green menu. Continue to step 5.
step 5: Install rom.

1. From the clockwork recovery use the volume keys to scroll to "install zip from sd card" and use the power button to select

2. Scroll to "choose zip from sd card" and use the power button to enter

3. Choose your rom and select it. Confirm that you want to install it and then give it time to install. Follow any other instructions they give you and then navigate back through the menus to restart the phone. Congrats you have your newly flashed rom.
Restore your files (optional)

1. Download Titanium Backup from the android market (scan the QR code below) and open it.
chart

2. Plug your phone into your computer and mount it. Drag the Titanium Backup folder you saved earlier onto the root of your phone. While technically it should still be there from before, I included this step just to be safe if anything went wrong. Unplug your phone when complete

3. Open Titanium Backup and click on the Backup/Restore tab. Press the menu button and then batch. press the button that says RUN next to Restore missing apps (select the one that includes data). This will take a while, but let it run. It will ask for you to confirm the install of each application.

4. When it is done all your files should be there.
Printable Cheatsheet

In case you want to have a printable cheatsheet on how to flash custom ROMs, I have made a single-sheet PDF version of this guide. I must warn you though: you will need a magnifying glass. Screenshots and downloads below.

2mep9xd.png

Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?9h13cf9jtb3ua7y

FAQs

I have a Mac or Linux computer what do I do?
If you have never flashed a ROM or Kernel before and are still on the stock firmware you can continue with this guide and just not install drivers or use ODIN. You MUST however have USB debugging on.

My computer does not recognize my phone
Try reinstalling the drivers and make sure you restart after that. Also, try turning on USB debugging. If it continues to not work, it may be a problem with the cable you are using.

What is the best ROM?
This is of personal choice. While some ROMs are more stable then others, the top ROMs are generally the best. Read recent posts about each ROM to see some of the issues/comments about it and then make an informed decision.

How do I know if I am on stock firmware?
Stock firmware means the phone (in its software state) is exactly as it was when it came out of the box. While you can be rooted, you can not be on a custom ROM, custom Kernel, custom Modem, etc.

Do I have to use ODIN every time?
Not always, but if you over-flash other ROMs bad things can and will happen. Here is the rule of thumb: if it does not specifically say anything about being able to not use ODIN in the original thread for the ROM you MUST you ODIN.

I can't get into download mode what do I do?
This is a common error, try a different method to get into it.
The 3e Security Error: If you are current running Froyo when you boot into recovery you now have 3e security which does not allow unsigned zips to be flashed. This is a problem because it will not allow for clockwork mod to be flashed as the update.zip. There are two ways to fix this.

First: Use Odin One Click to flash back to 2.1 and flash the clockwork mod zip from there. Continue on flashing the rom after that. 2.1 Eclair has 2e Security.

Odin Thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=731989

Second way: [RECOVERY] 3e Recovery Modded w/ No Verification

Read up on that here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=909213
Did this guide work for you? Please consider donating to the ROM developer.

Last edited by a moderator:

poo22

Aug 1, 2009
Very nice guide. I installed Assonance v5 and everything went well except now i can't connect to my rogers 3g network (i don't have data).

koreancanuck

Feb 11, 2010
Vancouver
Good guide. I'd like to mention that instead of steps 2-4, what someone can do is just put update.zip (that is clockwork recovery) in your sdcard, just boot into 2e recovery, and reinstall packages so that clockwork recovery gets installed. From CWM you can just flash a rom. No rooting needed as long as the rom you flash has root permissions (which is most roms). I found this to be less of a hassle.

Reactions: cwgannon

nbs11

Jul 25, 2010
Chicago
Good guide. I'd like to mention that instead of steps 2-4, what someone can do is just put update.zip (that is clockwork recovery) in your sdcard, just boot into 2e recovery, and reinstall packages so that clockwork recovery gets installed. From CWM you can just flash a rom. No rooting needed as long as the rom you flash has root permissions (which is most roms). I found this to be less of a hassle.

This is true, but I wanted something that works for all ROMs. The only reason I had the ROM manager step is because it cuts down another step that someone could get confused on (flashing clockworkmod by hand)

avgjoegeek

Sep 17, 2010
Junction City
It will be added to the q&a sticky.

But I would recommend putting step 0.... make sure they know how to restore their phone first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

avgjoegeek

Sep 17, 2010
Junction City
Isn't ODIN the same thing as restoring your phone? Do you mean backing it up and then restoring from backup?

Lol yea but people go Willy Nilly flashing away then when their phone fries they start asking how to restore their phones.

Folks should know how to use Odin, Tibu, and get into the different modes before they flash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

JamieD81

Nov 11, 2009
Duncan
for Step 2. if this isnt your first time installing a rom and uve already rooted before, if you have the cwm recovery update.zip on your sdcard already you can just reboot to stock recovery skipping the root step and "reinstall packages" *you will have to do it twice* and you will be in cwm recovery and you can flash the rom zip file and enjoy your new rom without using the root step.
*also might work for first time rooting too not sure didnt do it that way *as the root method just pushes this update.zip to your sd and does the same thing

GRACO

Dec 6, 2010
I cannot open the ROM INSTALL PACKAGE.rar, is corrupted... anyone opened this file successfully ?

rootnik

Nov 22, 2010
What an excellent guide! It should save people new to flashing a ton of time. I had to pick pieces of information up here and there before my first flash and was pretty nervous about it, wish I could have found a guide like this before hand.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ***(do not try to flash Gingerbread ROMs following this guide!)***
    How to Install and Flash a Custom FROYO ROM
    without losing all your data and/or exploding your phone

Disclaimer
    THIS GUIDE AS WELL AS THE ROM YOU WILL HAVE FLASHED IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE CREATOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE OR GUIDE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. INSTALLING A CUSTOM ROM WILL VOID ANY MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY AND MAY VOID ANY ADDITIONAL WARRANTY. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

ONLY TESTED ON AN AT&T SAMSUNG CAPTIVATE.
    Back up your files (optional)

You must be rooted for this step. If you are already on a custom ROM you are probably already rooted. If you are on Eclair (2.1) follow step number 2 and then continue here.

chart

2. Unplug your phone from your computer if it is plugged in and go to the Backup/Restore tab of Titanium Backup.

3. Press the menu button and then batch. press the button that says RUN next to Back up all user apps + system data. This will take a while, but let it run.

4. When it is done, plug your phone into your computer and mount your phone. Copy the folder Titanium Backup from the root of your phone and save it somewhere. Continue on with this guide.
    TIP: Even once your phone is flashed it is a good idea to do backups. You can do them in the same way as this guide.

Downloads

Download the files needed for this guide below. When they are done downloading put them all in a folder.

Drivers http://www.mediafire.com/?fr8bkogcu923wdu
    Root file http://www.mediafire.com/?3x7oq2mhcr5r7hl (do not unzip)
    ClockWorkMod recovery http://www.mediafire.com/?ve234hbg64ctcu0 (do not unzip)
    )

NOTE: This guide only works on Windows. If you have a Mac or Linux, download the files and put them on a flash drive and use someone else's computer. It should only take at most 15 minutes.
    TIP: If you have a spare flash drive, keep all these programs on it along with any ROMs you may wish to flash. That way, it will only take a matter of minutes to flash your phone.

step 1: Restore to stock firmware.

If you are currently on eclair (2.1) with the stock firmware you can skip this step. Otherwise, follow the steps below.

1. Install the drivers if you do not already have them. When they are done installing restart your computer. You can find these drivers in the drivers folder of your downloaded folder (Install either the 32bit or 64bit version).

2. Go to the downloaded folder and open ODIN.exe

3. Get into download mode by using one of the three methods shown below. There is a known bug that some people are not able to get into download mode. If the three button thing does not work, try this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=818439
    Method 1: Key Combination 1 (recommended)
    3. Hold down both volume buttons and while holding them down plug the phone in.

Method 2: Key Combination 2 (if method 1 doesn't work)
    3. Hold down both volume buttons and the power button.

Method 3: ADB (for advanced users.)
    1. Download the android SDK from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html (NOT THE .EXE VERSION)
    2. Drag it into the ROOT (top-most directory) of your hard drive.
    3. Open the Command Prompt and navigate to the tools folder in the android SDK.
    4. type adb shell then press enter
    5. type adb reboot download then press enter
    4. Open odin and plug in your phone. Wait 30 seconds or so for your phone to register (when it does one of those strange squares at the top will fill in with seemingly meaningless numbers and letters).

5. Press start and wait until it is finished. Do not unplug for any reason.

4. When it is done you should have a freshly installed stock firmware on 2.1 eclair. Continue to step 2.
    step 2: Root the phone.

If you are already rooted skip this step. Note that rooting BEFORE using ODIN does not mean you are still rooted.

1. To begin, mount your phone by plugging it in to the computer (you must have the drivers installed in step 1.1)

2. Go to the root file in the downloaded folder. It is called root.zip. Drag it onto your phone's root directory.

3. Rename the root file to update.zip and then turn your phone off.

4. Unplug your phone and hold down both volume buttons and the power button until a strange menu with blue items pops up. This is called the recovery menu.

5. Use the volume keys to scroll to 'reinstall packages' and press the power button to select. When it is done you will be rooted and then you can just scroll to the restart phone menu item.
    step 3: Getting the ROM.

Go to xda and find the rom of your choice. Download it (it will be a .ZIP file) and drag it onto the root (the directory that mounts) of your phone. Do not unzip it. Continue to step 4.
    TIP: You can find many ROMs in the Android Development section. Some are better than others. Read the comments to see which one you want to use.

step 4: Install clockwork recovery.

1. Go to the download folder and rename clockworkrecovery.zip to update.zip. Mount your phone and drag the update.zip file into the root directory. It is ok to overwrite the update.zip you used before. When it is done copying turn off your phone.

2. Unplug your phone and hold down both volume buttons and the power button until a strange menu with blue items pops up. This is called the recovery menu.

3. Scroll using the volume buttons to the menu item titled "reinstall packages" and press the power button to select.

4. Your phone should restart and you should be at a green menu. Continue to step 5.
    step 5: Install rom.

1. From the clockwork recovery use the volume keys to scroll to "install zip from sd card" and use the power button to select

2. Scroll to "choose zip from sd card" and use the power button to enter

3. Choose your rom and select it. Confirm that you want to install it and then give it time to install. Follow any other instructions they give you and then navigate back through the menus to restart the phone. Congrats you have your newly flashed rom.
    Restore your files (optional)

chart

2. Plug your phone into your computer and mount it. Drag the Titanium Backup folder you saved earlier onto the root of your phone. While technically it should still be there from before, I included this step just to be safe if anything went wrong. Unplug your phone when complete

3. Open Titanium Backup and click on the Backup/Restore tab. Press the menu button and then batch. press the button that says RUN next to Restore missing apps (select the one that includes data). This will take a while, but let it run. It will ask for you to confirm the install of each application.

4. When it is done all your files should be there.
    Printable Cheatsheet

In case you want to have a printable cheatsheet on how to flash custom ROMs, I have made a single-sheet PDF version of this guide. I must warn you though: you will need a magnifying glass. Screenshots and downloads below.

2mep9xd.png

Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?9h13cf9jtb3ua7y

FAQs

I have a Mac or Linux computer what do I do?
    If you have never flashed a ROM or Kernel before and are still on the stock firmware you can continue with this guide and just not install drivers or use ODIN. You MUST however have USB debugging on.

My computer does not recognize my phone
    Try reinstalling the drivers and make sure you restart after that. Also, try turning on USB debugging. If it continues to not work, it may be a problem with the cable you are using.

What is the best ROM?
    This is of personal choice. While some ROMs are more stable then others, the top ROMs are generally the best. Read recent posts about each ROM to see some of the issues/comments about it and then make an informed decision.

How do I know if I am on stock firmware?
    Stock firmware means the phone (in its software state) is exactly as it was when it came out of the box. While you can be rooted, you can not be on a custom ROM, custom Kernel, custom Modem, etc.

Do I have to use ODIN every time?
    Not always, but if you over-flash other ROMs bad things can and will happen. Here is the rule of thumb: if it does not specifically say anything about being able to not use ODIN in the original thread for the ROM you MUST you ODIN.

I can't get into download mode what do I do?
    This is a common error, try a different method to get into it.
    The 3e Security Error: If you are current running Froyo when you boot into recovery you now have 3e security which does not allow unsigned zips to be flashed. This is a problem because it will not allow for clockwork mod to be flashed as the update.zip. There are two ways to fix this.

First: Use Odin One Click to flash back to 2.1 and flash the clockwork mod zip from there. Continue on flashing the rom after that. 2.1 Eclair has 2e Security.

Odin Thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=731989

Second way: [RECOVERY] 3e Recovery Modded w/ No Verification

Read up on that here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=909213
    Did this guide work for you? Please consider donating to the ROM developer.
    And I think you guys should add that lagfix should be disabled in the OP. Just in case someone decides to flash without reading all 7 pages of posts here ;)

The lagfix only has to be disabled if:

The recovery you're using doesn't support it
    You're switching to a different one (Voodoo, ULF, OCLF, etc.)
    Unclear on something...

Why can't we just use clockwork recovery to wipe before flashing instead of going back to stock every time? That's how it works with HTC phones...

I am not sure exactly why that is, but all I know is that if you do your phone will get screwed up any you will have to use ODIN to fix it. Basically ODIN is your friend.

So it seems like we use ODIN to wipe before switching ROMs. I guess I don't understand why it has to be done that way as opposed to using CWM Recovery instead.

Thanks for the guide, very helpful!

24666707.png
    Bookmarked, Thanks!
    Very nice guide. I installed Assonance v5 and everything went well except now i can't connect to my rogers 3g network (i don't have data).

You need to configure the APN settings. Google the specific settings for your carrier.