[GUIDE]GT-S6102 Link Data & Dalvik-Cache Manually to SDExt2 via Root Explorer

Search This thread

zare555

May 27, 2012
Bekasi
when i tried to link instagram's data, there's already instagram's folder in sdext with different size, should i replace it?

Kundal

Jan 10, 2011
when i tried to link instagram's data, there's already instagram's folder in sdext with different size, should i replace it?
No, don't just overwrite the folder or you'll overwrite original files (libraries moved by Link2SD) with it's own links.
Easiest way to avoid this is to first move the /data/sdext2/data/[appname] folder back to /data/data to overwrite all links with their original files. Afterwards you can go on as described and move the folder back to sdext2.

@kaorukail: You should add this warning to the first post

Last edited:

kecrekchord

May 8, 2012
Bogor
www.cdmione.com
I've been replace my REX from TD 1502 REX but always force close??

Do u or any one have new REX??.. please share it.

Thx

Sent from my GT-S6102 using stockrom DXFL1 + iduos 1.3.1 kernel

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
Last edited:

zare555

May 27, 2012
Bekasi
No, don't just overwrite the folder or you'll overwrite original files (libraries moved by Link2SD) with it's own links.
Easiest way to avoid this is to first move the /data/sdext2/data/[appname] folder back to /data/data to overwrite all links with their original files. Afterwards you can go on as described and move the folder back to sdext2.

so, i have to overwrite data/data/instagram with folder from /data/sdext/data/instagram?

kaorukail

May 23, 2012
Jakarta

Okay, I'll add it to first post,
Thanks for reminding! :)

so, i have to overwrite data/data/instagram with folder from /data/sdext/data/instagram?

The easiest way is to remove the link of lib files in Link2SD, then just copy the whole app data folder to /data/sdext2/data/ and create link just like the usual :D

Sent from my GT-S6102 using xda premium

Reactions: zare555

Kundal

Jan 10, 2011
Link2SD can't work correctly when the whole data folder of an App is linked and it tries to move a library to the lib Sub-folder.
It always throws an error when trying to use the Relink all Application Files function.
I could work around this issue by linking all Sub-folders separately but leaving the folder lib as it is to keep Link2SD working.
I did this successfully with all Apps moved by Link2SD. It's much more work if you do it with all Sub-folders so you may want to only move/link the bigger ones.
With Apps that aren't moved by Link2SD it shouldn't be a problem to link the whole data folders.

@kaorukail: You should add a description of this method to the first post if you can confirm the issue with Link2SD.

Edit: after I wrote this I saw you've edited the first post and recommend to configure Link2SD to never link data and remove existing data links before moving the whole folder.
Does this also prevent the issue with the "Relink all Application Files" function? It would be much easier than what I did.

Last edited:

kaorukail

May 23, 2012
Jakarta
Link2SD can't work correctly when the whole data folder of an App is linked and it tries to move a library to the lib Sub-folder.
It always throws an error when trying to use the Relink all Application Files function.
I could work around this issue by linking all Sub-folders separately but leaving the folder lib as it is to keep Link2SD working.
I did this successfully with all Apps moved by Link2SD. It's much more work if you do it with all Sub-folders so you may want to only move/link the bigger ones.
With Apps that aren't moved by Link2SD it shouldn't be a problem to link the whole data folders.

@kaorukail: You should add a description of this method to the first post if you can confirm the issue with Link2SD.

Edit: after I wrote this I saw you've edited the first post and recommend to configure Link2SD to never link data and remove existing data links before moving the whole folder.
Does this also prevent the issue with the "Relink all Application Files" function? It would be much easier than what I did.

As far as I know, if you relink all application files it doesn't relink all library files, so it should prevent that issue too :)
Also: you shouldn't link LIB files, not data links

Last edited:

Kundal

Jan 10, 2011
As far as I know, if you relink all application files it doesn't relink all library files, so it should prevent that issue too :)
Also: you shouldn't link LIB files, not data links
I never talked about LIB files. Link2SD can move SO files (libraries) placed in /data/data/[appname]/lib Sub-folders.
The issue occurred after I moved folders from /data/sdext2/data back to /data/data to overwrite the Link2SD links with their original targets and then moved the completed folders back to /data/sdext2/data and created links to the folders under /data/data.
Disabling "Move Application Libraries" in Link2SD afterwards didn't prevent the error message when trying to "Relink all Application files".

Maybe Link2Sd doesn't get confused when you remove all library links with Link2SD itself before you link all application data to clear these entries from its database. I'm quite sure this will work but for me it's not really confirmed at the moment.

However, after I went the more complicated way I described above the whole thing is working fine for me and saved about 20MB space.
Many thanks for your useful Guide.:good:

Last edited:

kaorukail

May 23, 2012
Jakarta
I never talked about LIB files. Link2SD can move SO files (libraries) placed in /data/data/[appname]/lib Sub-folders.
The issue occurred after I moved folders from /data/sdext2/data back to /data/data to overwrite the Link2SD links with their original targets and then moved the completed folders back to /data/sdext2/data and created links to the folders under /data/data.
Disabling "Move Application Libraries" in Link2SD afterwards didn't prevent the error message when trying to "Relink all Application files".

Maybe Link2Sd doesn't get confused when you remove all library links with Link2SD itself before you link all application data to clear these entries from its database. I'm quite sure this will work but for me it's not really confirmed at the moment.

However, after I went the more complicated way I described above the whole thing is working fine for me and saved about 20MB space.

Yes, what you mean by SO files (libraries) is exactly what I mean by LIB (in short for libraries) files.
When you link application to your SDCard second partition, there is 3 option,
1. Link application file
2. Link dalvik-cache file
3. Link library files

As I mentioned in my first post, you should just link option 1 and 2, because if you use option 3 (Link library files)
you will get linked /data/data/[appname]/lib to your sdext2.
So if you haven't already linked library files via Link2SD, it should not have [appname] folder in your /data/sdext2/data folder..
This should solve the problem, if not, please inform me. Thanks! :)

MNgez

May 22, 2012
Banten
mngez.blogspot.com
Ah too bad...
Cannot link in "multy select" or "sellect all" option in REX
So... Only one by one option to link...
I've been try this many night...
But anyway thanks for share.
Help me much...
Thanks May God Bless U...

Dikirim Ti GT-S6102 Kuring Nganggo Tapatalk 2

MNgez

May 22, 2012
Banten
mngez.blogspot.com
Correction...

Ah too bad...
Cannot link in "multy select" or "sellect all" option in REX
So... Only one by one option to link...
I've been try this many night...
But anyway thanks for share.
Help me much...
Thanks May God Bless U...
Thanks Bro...
Perfecto... After soo long nights and many nights
Just to find..., How is the Simpliest Way to Linked Dalvic Chache to sd-Ext2?
Since I Don't really care about Data Folder, so I'm Just Linked some data and APK to sd-ext2
The hardest Way is When Linking one by one Dalvic chace to sd-ext2.
But finally i've got the solution...
1. Before I Do this i push to Kill apps thats running in Back ground
2. Copy All for data in /data/dalvik-cache to /data/sdext2/dalvik-cache
3. I Refer to Push to Link to folder /data/sdext2/dalvik-cache for folder /data/dalvik-cache.
After /data/dalvik-cache is Linked to /data/sdext2/dalvik-cache yes there is a small footnote in the folder "-->dalvik-cache"
4. No Need to Delete Data to Make Sure its Running well after reboot
5. Reboot...
6. CHECK IT OUT a small footnote in the folder "-->dalvik-cache" in /data/dalvik-cache is missing but Open the folder
WOW... All Dalvik is Linked...
Perfecto... :good: :good: :good:

This is The way its look...
Before ====== And ====== After
312971_3685182137095_2082748161_n.jpg
423421_3685182297099_1910341442_n.jpg

Atleast Now i Save at least more than 160 MB...
428925_3685180817062_101890966_n.jpg
484530_3685181057068_2052962526_n.jpg
549629_3685180937065_972127391_n.jpg

Kundal

Jan 10, 2011
@MNgez:
I'm sure it's working fine the way you did it. But why you are waisting 55 MB space on the (faster) system partition? Here's my way to get the same result:
- Use Titanium Backup Pro => menu => Integrate System-Dalvik into ROM. This will move the dalvik-cache data of all system apps to /system/app creating an [appname].odex file even for deodexed apps.
- Link all user apps from sdcard and /data/app to sdext2 with Link2SD and be sure to also move their dalvik-cache.

Now you won't see any unlinked data in /data/dalvik-cache. Moving the dalvik-cache of system apps to the system partition potentially makes them working faster. 55 MB should be enough space for all system apps (~35 MB on my device) but be sure there's about 10 MB left. You'll probably need it when you want to integrate updates of system apps and the new version is larger than the previous one.

I additionally linked all folders in /data/data containing large files to sdext2 and use an init.d script that removes all files in /data/anr, /data/log, /data/lost+found, data/tombstones and /data/system/dropbox. Especially /data/log can contain a large amount of useless files wasting much space on the /data partition.
To get more space on the system partition I repacked all the larger apps (>500KB) by simply opening the APK in 7-Zip, dragging the resources.arsc file to the desktop and immediately dragging it back to the archive again. This reduces the size of many apps to 30-50% of their original size (You'll have to do this again after an app was updated).

Here are the results:

sc20120815220030.png
sc20120815220036.png
sc20120815220125.png

Last edited:
Reactions: kaorukail and MNgez

MNgez

May 22, 2012
Banten
mngez.blogspot.com
@MNgez:
I'm sure it's working fine the way you did it. But why you are waisting 55 MB space on the (faster) system partition? Here's my way to get the same result:
- Use Titanium Backup Pro => menu => Integrate System-Dalvik into ROM. This will move the dalvik-cache data of all system apps to /system/app creating an [appname].odex file even for deodexed apps.
- Link all user apps from sdcard and /data/app to sdext2 with Link2SD and be sure to also move their dalvik-cache.

Now you won't see any unlinked data in /data/dalvik-cache. Moving the dalvik-cache of system apps to the system partition potentially makes them working faster. 55 MB should be enough space for all system apps (~35 MB on my device) but be sure there's about 10 MB left. You'll probably need it when you want to integrate updates of system apps and the new version is larger than the previous one.

I additionally linked all folders in /data/data containing large files to sdext2 and use an init.d script that removes all files in /data/anr, /data/log, /data/lost+found, data/tombstones and /data/system/dropbox. Especially /data/log can contain a large amount of useless files wasting much space on the /data partition.
To get more space on the system partition I repacked all the larger apps (>500KB) by simply opening the APK in 7-Zip, dragging the resources.arsc file to the desktop and immediately dragging it back to the archive again. This reduces the size of many apps to 30-50% of their original size (You'll have to do this again after an app was updated).

Here are the results:

sc20120815220030.png
sc20120815220036.png
sc20120815220125.png

Hahaha mr kundal I aint wasting system partition. I removing some apps include wipe datas that i don't use it as well.
Also Thanks for your kindess to share your ways.
But there is some dalviks that ησ need to move to dsext since it will slowing down my device. That why i linked it manually to make sure i dont move wrong dalvik that will slowing down my device.

But any way also can you share the script that you'v been mention?

Thanks any way...

Glad to have this fast respond and greath way to improve our device.

Reactions: kecrekchord

Kundal

Jan 10, 2011
Yeah, I removed more than 45 apps from /system/app and moved about 35 of my own apps there. I replaced Launcher, Music, Keyboard, Gallery, Browser etc. and moved Link2SD, Titanium Backup and much more that's essential enough for me to have it working even when I remove the SD-card. I think it's good to move as much as possible to /system/app. Leaving more than 10-15 MB free space there is wasting space in my eyes. But everyone may use his own preferred strategy.
On my device free space is 30 MB at the moment because I recently gained about 36 MB free space by the repacking method I described (I didn't repack apps that updates every few days like Titanium because I don't want to repack them after every update). It was down to 9 MB before and I'll move some more apps there.
If an app doesn't work when converted to system app it's because it can't find it's libraries anymore. Moving the libraries from /data/data/[appname]/lib to /system/lib before converting it makes it working in most cases (don't forget to do this again before integrating an update).

The script (from a thread of kurotsugi) is very simple:
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
# cleaner
rm /data/anr/*
rm /data/cache/*
rm /data/log/*
rm /data/tombstones/*
rm /data/system/dropbox/*
rm /data/lost+found/*
rm /dev/log/main

Last edited:

MNgez

May 22, 2012
Banten
mngez.blogspot.com
Yeah, I removed more than 45 apps from /system/app and moved about 35 of my own apps there. I replaced Launcher, Music, Keyboard, Gallery, Browser etc. and moved Link2SD, Titanium Backup and much more that's essential enough for me to have it working even when I remove the SD-card. I think it's good to move as much as possible to /system/app. Leaving more than 10-15 MB free space there is wasting space in my eyes. But everyone may use his own preferred strategy.
On my device free space is 30 MB at the moment because I recently gained about 36 MB free space by the repacking method I described (I didn't repack apps that updates every few days like Titanium because I don't want to repack them after every update). It was down to 9 MB before and I'll move some more apps there.
If an app doesn't work when converted to system app it's because it can't find it's libraries anymore. Moving the libraries from /data/data/[appname]/lib to /system/lib before converting it makes it working in most cases (don't forget to do this again before integrating an update).

The script (from a thread of kurotsugi) is very simple:
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
# cleaner
rm /data/anr/*
rm /data/cache/*
rm /data/log/*
rm /data/tombstones/*
rm /data/system/dropbox/*
rm /data/lost+found/*
rm /dev/log/main
Thanks mr kundal...
I'm wasting it since i'm not moving some apps to system partition.
About the script... i think u have your own...
so its kurotsugi script... can i have the tread link please.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In my recent post, I posted SNS Integration that I deodexed it myself, but recently I got some trouble,
    because it drain my internal storage (About 15MB space) and I've been thinking how to solve it.
    This guide is for those who use Link2SD, because Link2SD cannot move data into sdcard second partition.
    When you see SNS in system apps via Link2SD, the data files consume up to 15MB,
    because I sync my twitter and facebook to my contact, and this cause a problem for me,
    because It consumes internal storage.

picture.php

This is how I do it :

Warning!
    If you want to link data files manually, the EASIEST way is NOT to link any lib files with Link2SD. Leave it unlinked, so you can easily link the ENTIRE data folder.
    First, you must have link2sd, so that you have sdext2 folder in your /data/ , like this :
    picture.php

Then open your Root Explorer.
    You will see your root directory like this :
    picture.php

Then tap the data folder :
    picture.php

After that, scroll down until you see data folder in your data folder (Dataception) :p
    Then tap it.
    picture.php

Now it should shows all your app data in folder like this :
    picture.php

Now choose the App Data Folder that we want to link,
    in this case I use com.sec.android.app.sns (SNSProvider that I deodexed in my previous post)
    picture.php

Then long press the folder, and it should show dialog box like this, select Copy.
    picture.php

After that, go back to data folder, and locate your sdext2 folder
    picture.php

Tap sdext2 folder, and locate data folder in it.
    picture.php

Then tap it, and tap Paste.
    picture.php

Then scroll down and see your com.sec.android.app.sns in it, then long press it.
    picture.php

The dialog box should show up, scroll down and select Link to this folder.
    picture.php

After that, back to /data folder
    picture.php

Then tap data folder in data folder again to enter it. After that, scroll down to see com.sec.android.app.sns folder, we are going to delete it.
    picture.php

Long press the folder, the dialog box should show up, tap delete, tap yes.
    picture.php
    picture.php
    picture.php

Then tap create link, and voila! your com.sec.android.app.sns folder is linked to your SDCard second partition!
    It should look like this :
    picture.php

Thanks to MNgez question, I was able to try this way on dalvik cache files, That Link2SD don't link if we don't link our application with it, like dalvik cache files for system app.
    So yesterday I experimented it again, and it works! Just do the same way for data files, what differs is we link the dalvik cache file, not data folder. If it succeed, Link2SD also recognize our manual dalvik cache link like this :
    picture.php

Open your Root Explorer. Then navigate to /data/dalvik-cache like this, and you will see dalvik cache files :
    picture.php

Then scroll down to see the dalvik cache file that we want to link,
    In this case I'll link PhoneSky (Google Play Store) so we search for the file that has phonesky in it.
    picture.php

Then long press the system@app@PhoneSky.apk@classes.dex, the dialog box should shows up, select Move.
    picture.php

Navigate back to /data, then tap sdext2
    picture.php

Scroll down, until you see dalvik-cache folder, tap it.
    picture.php

You should see dalvik-cache files in it, then just tap paste.
    picture.php
    picture.php

Then scroll down until you see your newly dalvik cache file, Long press in it
    picture.php

The Dialog box should shows up, scroll down and tap Link to this file.
    picture.php

Go back to /data folder, navigate into dalvik-cache folder and tap it.
    picture.php

After you're in /data/dalvik-cache folder, tap Create Link
    picture.php

If it succeed, it should look like this :
    picture.php

Voila! Your dalvik cache file has been linked to your SDCard second partition, and Link2SD recognize your manual link! Enjoy! :D
    picture.php

This should works with .apk too, you should try it yourself! :)

Update: This works with GT-S5360 too, thanks to hitme987 for informing :)

Hope this helps! :)

Disclaimer :
    I do not take responsibility if this thread do something to your phone, I'm just trying to contribute.

Lastly, Click Thanks if I helped you! :D

Yes, what you mean by SO files (libraries) is exactly what I mean by LIB (in short for libraries) files.
    When you link application to your SDCard second partition, there is 3 option,
    1. Link application file
    2. Link dalvik-cache file
    3. Link library files

As I mentioned in my first post, you should just link option 1 and 2, because if you use option 3 (Link library files)
    you will get linked /data/data/[appname]/lib to your sdext2.
    So if you haven't already linked library files via Link2SD, it should not have [appname] folder in your /data/sdext2/data folder..
    This should solve the problem, if not, please inform me. Thanks! :)
    it's possible, but it will slow down your phone, because there's some file that should remain in data partition, because it's faster than sdcard second partition.

Thanks MNGez! btw, how did you manage to view your second partition in Titanium Backup? You're using Link2SD, right?

Thanks Kundal for sharing! :)
    Yup... i prefer not to move or link all dalvik cache to sd card. It's not only slowing down our device, but also many apps would not run, force close or make make our device not running properly. So make sure to move what u need. But let it be in internal for some apps spacially for system apps.

About my second partition in Titanium Back Up...
    Hahaha I'm using a2sd beside link2sd.
    Now they are not make any war in my device lol.
    Tree of us (sgyd12, MNgez, kecrekchord) already using this trick for long times. Actually its sgyd12 trick all credits to him, thanks to sgyd12 for always help me all the ways.
    In so many reason a2sd is not running a2sd data2sd and also cachesd before, Because of link2sd script.
    But now i found the reason why. We must make sure link2sd not link anythink to sd-ext2.
    We do like this...
    1. First of all put and install supported apps in system partition (/system/app and etc.), so put there:
    superuser/superSU (i'm using latest superuser and also get ellite),
    Latest busybox (i'm using 1.20.1),
    a2sdgui (i'm using a2sdgui donate 1.03),
    and link2sd (i'm using link2sd 2.1.2). Install and run them all but for a2sd and link2sd don't run it yet, just install it.
    2. Run link2sd and run the script to for ext2/ext3 not support ext4 if u want a2sd run also. Reboot
    4. Install latest a2sd script under cwm and reboot
    5. Make sure sd-ext2 is already in internal (/data/sd-ext)
    6. Run a2sdgui activate zipalign and all function. Also u can go to terminal emulator for running a2sd function for data2sd, cachesd and swapping and etc. But for good dont do cachesd, i link it manually to make sure i aint move important dalvic cache.
    7. U can see now in TB there is sd-ext2 for a2sd.
    8. Finish and enjoy them running properly in our device.
    We do this under Stock rom becouse a2sd is not running well in stock before this.

hmm..any way to mass move all of the data contents?

Is it possible to do that, by replacing /sd-ext with /data/sdext2/data in the thread given below:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=696148

it's possible, but it will slow down your phone, because there's some file that should remain in data partition, because it's faster than sdcard second partition.

Thanks Bro...
    Perfecto... After soo long nights and many nights
    Just to find..., How is the Simpliest Way to Linked Dalvic Chache to sd-Ext2?
    Since I Don't really care about Data Folder, so I'm Just Linked some data and APK to sd-ext2
    The hardest Way is When Linking one by one Dalvic chace to sd-ext2.
    But finally i've got the solution...
    1. Before I Do this i push to Kill apps thats running in Back ground
    2. Copy All for data in /data/dalvik-cache to /data/sdext2/dalvik-cache
    3. I Refer to Push to Link to folder /data/sdext2/dalvik-cache for folder /data/dalvik-cache.
    After /data/dalvik-cache is Linked to /data/sdext2/dalvik-cache yes there is a small footnote in the folder "-->dalvik-cache"
    4. No Need to Delete Data to Make Sure its Running well after reboot
    5. Reboot...
    6. CHECK IT OUT a small footnote in the folder "-->dalvik-cache" in /data/dalvik-cache is missing but Open the folder
    WOW... All Dalvik is Linked...
    Perfecto... :good: :good: :good:

This is The way its look...
    Before ====== And ====== After
    312971_3685182137095_2082748161_n.jpg
    423421_3685182297099_1910341442_n.jpg

Atleast Now i Save at least more than 160 MB...
    428925_3685180817062_101890966_n.jpg
    484530_3685181057068_2052962526_n.jpg
    549629_3685180937065_972127391_n.jpg

Thanks MNGez! btw, how did you manage to view your second partition in Titanium Backup? You're using Link2SD, right?

@MNgez:

Here are the results:

sc20120815220030.png
    sc20120815220036.png
    sc20120815220125.png

Thanks Kundal for sharing! :)
    yup... just like that...
    same as me... thanks bangets bro...
    now how about if i want to move back some data to original one in internal.
    is it just copas it to internal...

Yes, just delete the link file in /data/data or /data/dalvik-cache, then move the original files to its original directory :)