[Q] Micro Arc Oxidation failure?

Search This thread

psych0t1c

Jul 30, 2005
earth.europe.de
It still leaves the original question open. Unless HTC issues a press release claiming that they have found the fault in the process and that all phones made after dd/mm are just fine and can be used to oben beer bottles without damaging the surface you don't know if the phone you get is good or not, even if you can pinpoint the exact Date of Manufacturing.

Seeing as they are just about now starting to acnowledge the problem, I would say it is safe to assume that phones with a mfg. date up until the first week of April will be prone to the problem AT LEAST. Possibly even longer, until it is fixed. So SH/HT24x (where x is a number) phones should IMO still be avoided, and even if they catch up n the problem RIGHT NOW it will prolly take a month or so until those made after today /which would be HT/SH24B) make it to european stores. Or am I wrong here?

The formatting re: the S/N is an interesting note though, thanks for that. For the record, mine is HT23R (so from what i gather 2012, Month 3, Day 24)

The new format will read similar to HT[year][month][day]. I presume that they wish to be this precise for warranty purposes.

The month format shall be between 1 - 12, but the day format will take a slightly different shape.

Days will go from 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, R, S, T, V, W, X, Y, Z. Day Z represents day 31.
Took the liberty to copypaste from the linked thread for esier reference.

Last edited:

jandari

May 3, 2011
To those who does not have problems, what about around the USB port? I plugged in USB maybe 3 times very carefully and there is already alluminium visible. On the top after 2 day in the pocket its ok.

boojay

Oct 15, 2010
I assume, the grey version won't have any such problems as the black one s - it's just anodized, which makes it have a hard and durable surface. I guess, the MAO makes a too hard surface for the edges of the phone :confused:

If it's similar to the HTC Desire/Nexus One's build, I'd be more than happy with that. It was still the best phone I'd ever owned (for its time).

Untouchab1e

Apr 11, 2007
As mentioned above, it would take at least a month for HTC to fix the issue and push out new improved phones. So I'm thinking if either getting the One S now, then return it for a new one. But I should probably just wait.....

Sent from my Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

onlyrider

Apr 12, 2012
Geneva
As mentioned above, it would take at least a month for HTC to fix the issue and push out new improved phones. So I'm thinking if either getting the One S now, then return it for a new one. But I should probably just wait.....

Sent from my Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

According to HTC, you are free to return your phone for a new one directly with them (and not your local retailer) during the warranty period. So you're free to buy an One S today and ask for an exchange in 6 months if you have any trouble later

ptr_hamilton

Aug 1, 2010
surface flaw, no scratch

Have been at a surveyor. He told me this are doubtless no scratches. And indeed I did not drop my phone. On the pictures they took you can clearly see that there are no scratches aroud the affected area, which should be there if I dropped the phone.. What I think is the my reseller will tell me I am stupid if I show those very little flaws to him :eek:
Let's hope for HTC
6tjn9j.jpg
2bb891.jpg

QuintusDias

Sep 16, 2010
Groningen
Have been at a surveyor. He told me this are doubtless no scratches. And indeed I did not drop my phone. On the pictures they took you can clearly see that there are no scratches aroud the affected area, which should be there if I dropped the phone.. What I think is the my reseller will tell me I am stupid if I show those very little flaws to him :eek:
Let's hope for HTC

Was the surveyor able to deduct anything else besides confirmation these are no ordinary scratches?
Interesting pictures by the way :)

mardon85

Jan 8, 2009
Manchester
Here's an update on mine since Tuesday. Noticeably more marks and its literally been on my desk charging or in my work trouser pocket (with nothing else in there).

IMG_3180.jpg

IMG_3179.jpg

IMG_3175.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

ptr_hamilton

Aug 1, 2010
Was the surveyor able to deduct anything else besides confirmation these are no ordinary scratches?
Interesting pictures by the way :)

Unfortunately not,besides I should refer on that pictures :eek: They only said that this kind of oxidation treatment ends as coating. So it is possible that at sharp edges as we do have, it may not stick enough. Maybe HTC should try to avoid sharp edges to get a handle on that..

Sebastian768

Jul 17, 2008
Two things...

First, the One S was on it's way to becoming my new phone, untill this little "hoopla" between HTC/The Internet/Users surfaced. I'm not ordering the phone, just to have it shipped back when problems arise. It's my money and my money's worth ain't worth anything if it sits at some random repair guy's desk waiting for HTC to figure things out. Oh, this WILL take time. I figure this affects most (if not all) of the first batch at least.

HTC has a couple of options to remedy this problem:

- Temporarily halt sale of the black One S until cause is found - a no brainer

and

- Exchange all the funky MAO alu-shell - will take time to repair all individual phones

or

- Echange all phones with new - Easier logistics, better for customers, removes bad products

Second, it amazes me that only a small amount of chatter about this is on the net. I would think this should be headlining most major tech blogs. This is the rebirth of Hight Tech Computers. If people by this phone, find out that this problem was known before they bought it, both the shop and HTC would look bad. They should have stopped this before the phone went to resellers. They didn't and they now have only a small window of opportunity before the HTC One will forever more be remembered for this.

I'm thinking, that the earnings reports from HTC lately has to do with product recall/warranty. My less than three months old S XE has been to the shops twice for a new flexboard.

Untouchab1e

Apr 11, 2007
Two things...

First, the One S was on it's way to becoming my new phone, untill this little "hoopla" between HTC/The Internet/Users surfaced. I'm not ordering the phone, just to have it shipped back when problems arise. It's my money and my money's worth ain't worth anything if it sits at some random repair guy's desk waiting for HTC to figure things out. Oh, this WILL take time. I figure this affects most (if not all) of the first batch at least.

HTC has a couple of options to remedy this problem:

- Temporarily halt sale of the black One S until cause is found - a no brainer

and

- Exchange all the funky MAO alu-shell - will take time to repair all individual phones

or

- Echange all phones with new - Easier logistics, better for customers, removes bad products

Second, it amazes me that only a small amount of chatter about this is on the net. I would think this should be headlining most major tech blogs. This is the rebirth of Hight Tech Computers. If people by this phone, find out that this problem was known before they bought it, both the shop and HTC would look bad. They should have stopped this before the phone went to resellers. They didn't and they now have only a small window of opportunity before the HTC One will forever more be remembered for this.

I'm thinking, that the earnings reports from HTC lately has to do with product recall/warranty. My less than three months old S XE has been to the shops twice for a new flexboard.

You make some valid points, and my question to HTC is what exactly they expect us customers to do. I am calling them as Im typing this and I am being sent up the system now it seems, hopefully to someone who can give me some answers.

Im still curious as to why this doesnt affect all the phones though..

Last edited:

pzboyz

Dec 14, 2005
USB port did not look good

I have had my One S now since last Friday, I am a careful user, mine has some marks just around the USB socket just from a few days of plugging/unplugging the charger a few times. This is just 6 days of use. HTC this is not good. Did HTC rush the Beta trials to get a product launched?

Untouchab1e

Apr 11, 2007
Some sort of supervisor told me to encourage everyone affected by the issue to email HTC photos of damage along with the proof of purchase and to also include clear photos of the serial numbers of the devices which have this fault.

masterkui

Apr 10, 2012
It is interesting how none of the reviewers who got demo versions of the One S noticed anything like this.

It is day 2 for my second HTC One S (first one replaced). I am watching it like a hawk, I have noticed a miniscule chip on the top edge. you can barely see it to be honest but considering everything that is going on, i thought i would note it.

Untouchab1e

Apr 11, 2007
It is interesting how none of the reviewers who got demo versions of the One S noticed anything like this.

It is day 2 for my second HTC One S (first one replaced). I am watching it like a hawk, I have noticed a miniscule chip on the top edge. you can barely see it to be honest but considering everything that is going on, i thought i would note it.

Actually, Eurodroid did notice the issue in their review.

Reactions: masterkui

masterkui

Apr 10, 2012
Actually, Eurodroid did notice the issue in their review.

hmm, i never got to read this review. But thanks

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

just to say though despite this micro arc oxidation issue, the phone is awesome! It is rapid, does everything I want, feels solid and is aesthetically pleasing (unless of course i start getting white marks everywhere).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does anybody has got the problem with the ceramic surface which is shown in the following pictures??

Looks like a major problem with the production technology :-(
    You have to be really dumb to release phones like this. This is not the first time HTC has done this. QA obviously sucks at HTC

As a potential HTC One S owner I'll just inject a few words into this thread.

Most of the people complaining and spouting their opinions on QA have no frigging clue about metallurgy or SCM.

I have consulted for companies that design & sell 100k-1M units. There are so many steps in the process until that phone gets to your hands (at a very low price, considering the complexity!), that the mind would boggle - and sometimes it's amazing that anything works at all, ever.

As for the coating process, I doubt that HTC mills the metal or has plasma baths in their offices. All this stuff is outsourced. And in China its hard to ensure that you get what you pay for (or specify) - Ive seen this happen with PCB laminates, components where the BOM says one thing, and a middleman will just ignore it and pocket the difference.

Maybe the base metal was a 3003 alloy instead of a 6100, maybe it was not degreased well enough, maybe some employees handled the edges, perhaps the plasma bath was too cold, or things not given enough time to warm up due to the units/hour presure from the line manager. Moreover, unless you destructively test the devices it's very hard to spot such failures unless you decided that's what you're going to look for.

Of course I would be disappointed when my One S has a chipping issue, but it seems like HTC is being responsible and has quickly acknowledged the issue, without telling the customers "you're holding it wrong"

FWIW I own a HTC Desire, a Nokia N79, SE K750 and lots of old Nokias.
    surface flaw, no scratch

Let's hope for HTC
    6tjn9j.jpg
    2bb891.jpg
    Thread Cleaned

I have cleaned some posts from the last few pages. Some of the comments are not acceptable. Further trolling will result in a infraction/ban. Do not engage trolls, just report them and let the moderation team sort the problem. In short, dont feed the trolls!​
    ^^Good post psch0t1c^^

I'm not sure about sending it back to HTC in case they do try and say I have damaged it which I KNOW I haven't. I'm inclined to wait a few more days and see if the problem becomes more widespread and HTC become more aware of the problem.

I think we should ether do a new thread or add a poll to the OP so we can gauge how many people are affected thus far.