[Q] Micro Arc Oxidation failure?

Search This thread

sloveridge

Apr 16, 2012
Day 2 using the replacment handset and after only 1 charge and 2 syncs there are a couple of minute chips on the MAO coating around the USB port. I'm keeping a close eye on it.

PS - where do i find the batch number?

lm85

Apr 6, 2012
Day 2 using the replacment handset and after only 1 charge and 2 syncs there are a couple of minute chips on the MAO coating around the USB port. I'm keeping a close eye on it.

PS - where do i find the batch number?
had my replacement a few days, charged a few times and there are tiny marks around the usb port, haven't taken it outside yet as my case hasn't arrived

marks around the usb port are going to happen sooner or later, i don't see any possible way to avoid it with an aluminum case which is covered/treated in something which is a different colour to the actual aluminum

to find your serial number
settings -> about -> phone identity

pzboyz

Dec 14, 2005
Despite being kept in a leather fitBag I have my first chip now somewhere other than the USB socket. The USB socket is very chipped on the left and right sides due to how you naturally have to guide the charger into the socket.

I am not a rough user of phones, far from it, I am careful with them. My DHD looks like new, my HOS does not.

Going to keep an eye on reports here as to whether the replacements are better or not.

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
had my replacement a few days, charged a few times and there are tiny marks around the usb port, haven't taken it outside yet as my case hasn't arrived

marks around the usb port are going to happen sooner or later, i don't see any possible way to avoid it with an aluminum case which is covered/treated in something which is a different colour to the actual aluminum

to find your serial number
settings -> about -> phone identity

dont forget, it should be "5 times stronger that aerospace aluminum" :)

ps. Android Central did a review of both MAO and regular one, and they said even thou they didnt have any chipping in 1-2 weeks, they still prefer regular one without any coating. Made me feel kinda better considering MAO is not coming to T-Mobile

Last edited:

QuintusDias

Sep 16, 2010
Groningen
Ok, I decided for 99% to swap my pre-ordered MAO One S for the grey one. The only thing holding me back is that the grey one is supposed to be very slippery.

How bad is it really? Does is slide of your had when you hold it at an, say, 30-40 degrees angle?

kyuubi_ac

Oct 13, 2011
Hamburg
Hmm some people posted that is very slippery, they even had problems with getting it out of the pocket. I've been playing around with it for about 15min and have to admit that it's slippery, but not "too slippery". I don't know but I have no problems with handing it, not even one-handed. It surely should be no reason for not buying it (my opinion).
Little plus: you dont see finger prints or sweat on it like on the MAO version.

Reactions: QuintusDias

TurkzZ

Apr 15, 2010
a week of using the phone allot all day, in pocket without a case, no chipping round the edges, just the same specs around the USB port, not sure if they were there on delivery and had i not read the article on Engadget wouldn't think about em.

In UK do we have 14 days to return the phone no questions asked? Also say a 2 months in its all chipped up, would HTC repair it for free? (doubt it) and if not how much would a new unibody cost ?

QuintusDias

Sep 16, 2010
Groningen
Ok then I decided. I'm going for the grey version! I'll go look at the black one in the shop once it's available here to see what that feels like and what I am missing, or not lol

lm85

Apr 6, 2012
a week of using the phone allot all day, in pocket without a case, no chipping round the edges, just the same specs around the USB port, not sure if they were there on delivery and had i not read the article on Engadget wouldn't think about em.

In UK do we have 14 days to return the phone no questions asked? Also say a 2 months in its all chipped up, would HTC repair it for free? (doubt it) and if not how much would a new unibody cost ?
htc told me via email that they will swap it/repair it if it chips in the next 24 months, below is the reply i got from them when i asked about the chipping issue with the black one s

Thank you for contacting HTC regarding your htc one s
I understand that you are concerned about the warranty cover of the device following the forums you have visited. Please rest assured that all htc devices go through multiple testing before they are out for public consumption. furthermore each HTC device benefit from a repair warranty of 24 months as long as the cause of the issue is not physical damage,wear and tear or illegal software.
I hope that this information meets with your requirements. Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Last edited:

TurkzZ

Apr 15, 2010
24 months, nice, ... surprised there hasn't been a proper durability test on the one s since it was sold on its hard shell, theres already a couple for the one x

MemphisLeak

Aug 8, 2010
24 months, nice, ... surprised there hasn't been a proper durability test on the one s since it was sold on its hard shell, theres already a couple for the one x

Theres one earlier in this thread of some German guy rubbing the one s in gravel and spitting on it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA

virtq

Jan 30, 2011
Have had my black device now for about 5 days, no chipping yet. But I suppose the USB cutout will probably be worn out pretty soon.

I also got one scratch on the back from my ring, thought it should handle scratches better than that. My Desire S have no signs of scratches. I think that the rough surface on the device is probably more sensitive than the smooth surface on the DS.

S/N HT23

Stiflerlv

Apr 9, 2010
Got my HTC One S yesterday, so far good, 2nd time charging, no spots around micro usb port...

S/N HT242W

P.S. I have HT24 - that means I got a little "later" edition?

jigr69

Jan 8, 2011
Daventry
I have a SH23P (French model like Onlyrider) and also nothing to worry about.

I also have the same 5 starting digits and, touch wood, have no problems after a weeks worth of use (charging nightly). This includes 2 bike rides (stuffed in back pocket of jersey), many miles of walks (in pocket listening to music) and other general use.

Although I have ordered a cover for it, since I would like it to remain scratch free!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does anybody has got the problem with the ceramic surface which is shown in the following pictures??

Looks like a major problem with the production technology :-(
    You have to be really dumb to release phones like this. This is not the first time HTC has done this. QA obviously sucks at HTC

As a potential HTC One S owner I'll just inject a few words into this thread.

Most of the people complaining and spouting their opinions on QA have no frigging clue about metallurgy or SCM.

I have consulted for companies that design & sell 100k-1M units. There are so many steps in the process until that phone gets to your hands (at a very low price, considering the complexity!), that the mind would boggle - and sometimes it's amazing that anything works at all, ever.

As for the coating process, I doubt that HTC mills the metal or has plasma baths in their offices. All this stuff is outsourced. And in China its hard to ensure that you get what you pay for (or specify) - Ive seen this happen with PCB laminates, components where the BOM says one thing, and a middleman will just ignore it and pocket the difference.

Maybe the base metal was a 3003 alloy instead of a 6100, maybe it was not degreased well enough, maybe some employees handled the edges, perhaps the plasma bath was too cold, or things not given enough time to warm up due to the units/hour presure from the line manager. Moreover, unless you destructively test the devices it's very hard to spot such failures unless you decided that's what you're going to look for.

Of course I would be disappointed when my One S has a chipping issue, but it seems like HTC is being responsible and has quickly acknowledged the issue, without telling the customers "you're holding it wrong"

FWIW I own a HTC Desire, a Nokia N79, SE K750 and lots of old Nokias.
    surface flaw, no scratch

Have been at a surveyor. He told me this are doubtless no scratches. And indeed I did not drop my phone. On the pictures they took you can clearly see that there are no scratches aroud the affected area, which should be there if I dropped the phone.. What I think is the my reseller will tell me I am stupid if I show those very little flaws to him :eek:
    Let's hope for HTC
    6tjn9j.jpg
    2bb891.jpg
    Thread Cleaned

I have cleaned some posts from the last few pages. Some of the comments are not acceptable. Further trolling will result in a infraction/ban. Do not engage trolls, just report them and let the moderation team sort the problem. In short, dont feed the trolls!​
    ^^Good post psch0t1c^^

I'm not sure about sending it back to HTC in case they do try and say I have damaged it which I KNOW I haven't. I'm inclined to wait a few more days and see if the problem becomes more widespread and HTC become more aware of the problem.

I think we should ether do a new thread or add a poll to the OP so we can gauge how many people are affected thus far.