[Q] Micro Arc Oxidation failure?

Search This thread

jetsetwilly

Dec 16, 2008
Manchester
My wife dropped hers last night (the phone not her knickers) and there's a few dinks along the back. But there's also wear around the usb port from charging. She's had it about 6 days :(

On a side note, her screen is not nearly as sharp as my HOX. It looks a little blurry around the fonts etc.

hon kin

Jan 9, 2011
T-Mobile doesnt have MAO coating so no chipping
Oh, T-Mo doesnt have the black version? Hmmm...

My wife dropped hers last night (the phone not her knickers) and there's a few dinks along the back. But there's also wear around the usb port from charging. She's had it about 6 days :(

On a side note, her screen is not nearly as sharp as my HOX. It looks a little blurry around the fonts etc.
300+ ppi is just too superior to One S, but i still too addicted to the sexy appearance of One S. If One S still chips like this, i'll get One X instead.:cool:

Senzune

Jun 16, 2011
While there's one guy crazy enough to destroy his One S's MAO coating on gravel.. is there anyone else crazy enough to carefully peel off the coating? Or use sandpaper to do it? I'm actually quite curious now to the silver-ish material underneath which still looks like it's blasted with plasma, only.. grey.

Android_Mark

Apr 21, 2012
Coates, Nr Peterborough
Interesting that some people with later serial numbers (towards the end of March and early April) are not having this problem.

This is before the news of the chips hit the net, so did HTC know about it and change the process towards the end of March?

My contract on my Desire runs out in May, so hopefully all the rogue handsets will be off the market by then.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Ok then I decided. I'm going for the grey version! I'll go look at the black one in the shop once it's available here to see what that feels like and what I am missing, or not lol

Just a quick point - make sure you ask to see a 'real' handset - Don't know about all shops, but the display model in CarPhone Warehouse (UK) was black but definately not MAO - felt like plastic to me.

Reactions: QuintusDias

aureleuz

Mar 4, 2011
Had mine for the weekend now hiking in the mountains and generally using the phone as I expect to use it, and I see no chipping i can't explain. Edges look fine, as do the rest of the bodywork.
Only places I can see glimpse of aluminum is around (almost inside) the micro-usb entry hole. This I would say is expected, as I have a little trouble getting the cable to hit the hole right in pitch dark (alright, I've gone to bed a fair bit later than my spouse, and didn't want to turn on the lights and wake her up)

So far I must say I'm happy with the phone and the finish. Lets see how it fares after a week at work. Two days in the delivery-truck followed by two nights of unloading parcels and pallets from containers. I expect it to hit the floor at least once, falling from my pocket :p

Expect an update next weekend :)
I've had my phone for almost 2 weeks now and there appear to be no visible chipping around edges at all. Just the inside of the micro-USB port as you just explained, since obviously, before coming to this thread I wasn't being particulary touchy about plugging the cable in.

My phone is also bought in Norway btw, at a Netcom store. Sorry to hear other people complaining so much about their handset when mine turned out to be such a fantastic and fabulous looking device ;)

Just luck I guess?

Komadyret

Aug 7, 2010
I've had my phone for almost 2 weeks now and there appear to be no visible chipping around edges at all. Just the inside of the micro-USB port as you just explained, since obviously, before coming to this thread I wasn't being particulary touchy about plugging the cable in.

My phone is also bought in Norway btw, at a Netcom store. Sorry to hear other people complaining so much about their handset when mine turned out to be such a fantastic and fabulous looking device ;)

Just luck I guess?

Might be. I bought mine on a Telenor contract from spaceworld.
Still the only scratches I have are those around the usb port. I dropped by the store and had them register the issue with HTC, just to have it on record. It is not annoying me, and I'm going to live with it. But if there is a call-back from HTC or I start to see serious chipping , I do at least have it documented at an early stage.

wilcoholic

Jul 26, 2010
I had no issues for more than a week except for the inside of the usb port.

Then I accidentally dropped it a few days ago and now theres a huge spot where the paint came off. Larger than any of the pictures in this thread. Ever since then I have been experiencing two more small chips on the exact same location as many other users.

bummer

hemingway60

Apr 22, 2012
Then I accidentally dropped it a few days ago and now theres a huge spot where the paint came off. Larger than any of the pictures in this thread. Ever since then I have been experiencing two more small chips on the exact same location as many other users.

Can you be kind enough and post a picture of that spot? And where exactly did you drop and from what height? I want to buy the black version, but now I'm not so sure about it...

Thanks

wilcoholic

Jul 26, 2010
I would really like to post the picture but I can't post outside links. Forum regulations because I am a new user.

But I dropped it from about 50cm, about knee height.

hon kin

Jan 9, 2011
BTW, some off topic one, does the flickering screen issue of One X exist on One S?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does anybody has got the problem with the ceramic surface which is shown in the following pictures??

Looks like a major problem with the production technology :-(
    You have to be really dumb to release phones like this. This is not the first time HTC has done this. QA obviously sucks at HTC

As a potential HTC One S owner I'll just inject a few words into this thread.

Most of the people complaining and spouting their opinions on QA have no frigging clue about metallurgy or SCM.

I have consulted for companies that design & sell 100k-1M units. There are so many steps in the process until that phone gets to your hands (at a very low price, considering the complexity!), that the mind would boggle - and sometimes it's amazing that anything works at all, ever.

As for the coating process, I doubt that HTC mills the metal or has plasma baths in their offices. All this stuff is outsourced. And in China its hard to ensure that you get what you pay for (or specify) - Ive seen this happen with PCB laminates, components where the BOM says one thing, and a middleman will just ignore it and pocket the difference.

Maybe the base metal was a 3003 alloy instead of a 6100, maybe it was not degreased well enough, maybe some employees handled the edges, perhaps the plasma bath was too cold, or things not given enough time to warm up due to the units/hour presure from the line manager. Moreover, unless you destructively test the devices it's very hard to spot such failures unless you decided that's what you're going to look for.

Of course I would be disappointed when my One S has a chipping issue, but it seems like HTC is being responsible and has quickly acknowledged the issue, without telling the customers "you're holding it wrong"

FWIW I own a HTC Desire, a Nokia N79, SE K750 and lots of old Nokias.
    surface flaw, no scratch

Have been at a surveyor. He told me this are doubtless no scratches. And indeed I did not drop my phone. On the pictures they took you can clearly see that there are no scratches aroud the affected area, which should be there if I dropped the phone.. What I think is the my reseller will tell me I am stupid if I show those very little flaws to him :eek:
    Let's hope for HTC
    6tjn9j.jpg
    2bb891.jpg
    Thread Cleaned

I have cleaned some posts from the last few pages. Some of the comments are not acceptable. Further trolling will result in a infraction/ban. Do not engage trolls, just report them and let the moderation team sort the problem. In short, dont feed the trolls!​
    ^^Good post psch0t1c^^

I'm not sure about sending it back to HTC in case they do try and say I have damaged it which I KNOW I haven't. I'm inclined to wait a few more days and see if the problem becomes more widespread and HTC become more aware of the problem.

I think we should ether do a new thread or add a poll to the OP so we can gauge how many people are affected thus far.