[QUICK TIP] Using the internal SD as external! [CM7-10.3]

Search This thread

sagirfahmid3

Jul 20, 2013
Hi guys, here's a quick way to switch your internal SD on the NT to make it look like external SD.

Initially, I and many others tried this trick and it did not work properly. The cause of that was because the permissions are NOT set automatically when you take out the external SD card. What I mean by that is, the folder/mountpoint permission at /storage/sdcard0 is NOT set correctly once you switch around the external with internal storage. This would often lead to apps force closing or refusing to open altogether. This is easily fixed and automated by putting a script in /etc/init.d/. Unfortunately, this method does not work for CM11, but hopefully that will change soon. I tried this on CM10.1, but it should work from CM7-CM10.2.

Steps:

1. Make a backup of your original vold.fstab
Code:
adb pull /etc/vold.fstab
2. Make sure to remount your Nook's filesystem as read-write:
Code:
adb root
adb remount
3. Edit your vold.fstab, delete everything within it, and replace with the following. Notice code is basically flipped from original:
Code:
## emmc
dev_mount emmc /storage/sdcard1 10 /devices/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/mmc_host/mmc0

## sdcard
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc1
4. Make a new file in /etc/init.d, call it 00permissions or whatever you like:
Code:
# cd /etc/init.d/
# touch 00permissions #(name it whatever you want)
# echo "#!/system/bin/sh" >> 00permissions
# echo "busybox chmod -R 075 /storage/sdcard0" >> 00permissions
# echo "busybox chown -R system:sdcard_rw /storage/sdcard0" >> 00permissions
# chmod 755 00permissions
# chown root:shell 00permissions
5. Reboot and rejoice! Internal SD will now be seen as external SD and it should work flawlessly.

Hope this guide helps you out. If you need help or have questions, leave a reply!

Last edited: