[Q] [Help] New to rooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Reconde

May 22, 2014
Hello,

I am really new to rooting and custom roms. I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find a tutorial on how to root the S4-i545 on NC5. I don't understand custom recovery, and overall I'm just a really bad noob at this. Could I be linked to an informative tutorial to help me better understand things? Also, if there is a tutorial on how to root the i545 on NC5 that would be fantastic.

I'm really stuck and I've been researching for the past few days and still haven't come across anything helpful..

Thanks!

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
Hello,

I am really new to rooting and custom roms. I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find a tutorial on how to root the S4-i545 on NC5. I don't understand custom recovery, and overall I'm just a really bad noob at this. Could I be linked to an informative tutorial to help me better understand things? Also, if there is a tutorial on how to root the i545 on NC5 that would be fantastic.

I'm really stuck and I've been researching for the past few days and still haven't come across anything helpful..

Thanks!

rooting and custom roms loading are not for the faint of heart. Going to NC5 is fairly complex process and requires alot of patience and alot knowledge concerning odin process as using odin is key part of the inst all of downgrading. I take it your phone is already NC5 and you took the OTA?

Reconde

May 22, 2014
rooting and custom roms loading are not for the faint of heart. Going to NC5 is fairly complex process and requires alot of patience and alot knowledge concerning odin process as using odin is key part of the inst all of downgrading. I take it your phone is already NC5 and you took the OTA?

Yes. I downloaded the OTA from Verizon for 4.4.2. I've heard many times that a NC5 root is not available, so is there any way you know to downgrade back to 4.3 for root? I understand there is a post by surge on how to upgrade to NC5 and keep root after that, but I can't seem to find a post on how to downgrade back to 4.3

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
Yes. I downloaded the OTA from Verizon for 4.4.2. I've heard many times that a NC5 root is not available, so is there any way you know to downgrade back to 4.3 for root? I understand there is a post by surge on how to upgrade to NC5 and keep root after that, but I can't seem to find a post on how to downgrade back to 4.3

Read the following: from Surge1223.

That will allow you to downgrade to 4.3, root it, then eventually upgrade to 4.4 while retaining root.
You do NOT want to downgrade to 4.3 if you've installed 4.4. The kernel modules for 4.3 won't work unless you run bypasslkm at every boot, which appears to be a challenge for a number of people. Once you've started the NC5 upgrade, you really want to be on 4.4.

If you're still on 4.3 (MK2) and want to upgrade to NC5, I'd recommend using this. It's a lot easier to do, but it only applies if your MK2 system is basically factory stock but rooted (or if you can get it back to stock.)

Reconde

May 22, 2014
I've gotten my answer on downgrading, could someone please explain to me what recovery is?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

corrupted23

Aug 5, 2011
San Luis Potosí
Read the following: from Surge1223.

That will allow you to downgrade to 4.3, root it, then eventually upgrade to 4.4 while retaining root.
You do NOT want to downgrade to 4.3 if you've installed 4.4. The kernel modules for 4.3 won't work unless you run bypasslkm at every boot, which appears to be a challenge for a number of people. Once you've started the NC5 upgrade, you really want to be on 4.4.

If you're still on 4.3 (MK2) and want to upgrade to NC5, I'd recommend using this. It's a lot easier to do, but it only applies if your MK2 system is basically factory stock but rooted (or if you can get it back to stock.)

Ha, as a newcomer I can confirm that following Surge's method is not the easiest but I was able to pull it off on the first try. Now currently Using NC5 4.4.2 rooted and running smoothly. I'm going to try to run Hyperdrive's newest release as soon as the rom download is finished.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

I've gotten my answer on downgrading, could someone please explain to me what recovery is?

You may have read this already but... there are a lot of useful noobie links you can find regarding general info in the General section! And by saying this I mean that... I read those couple of weeks back and its nothing from another world. Good luck!

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia

There's three ways you can boot your android device.
First is normal mode. That's the way it nomally boots, running the full operating system.

The second is downloader mode. This mode allows you to flash new software images using ODIN.

The third is recovery mode. Factory recovery allows you to flash updates, wipe the stock ROM, factory reset, etc. A custom recovery allows you to flash arbitrary updates (those which aren't signed by Samsung).

Phones running MDK bootloader can have a custom recovery that allows you to flash nonstandard ROMs.
Past MDK, this requires the use of Safestrap recovery.

Reactions: Reconde

Reconde

May 22, 2014
Quick question - where would I put necessary files on my SD card? Under which directory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

There's three ways you can boot your android device.
    First is normal mode. That's the way it nomally boots, running the full operating system.

The second is downloader mode. This mode allows you to flash new software images using ODIN.

The third is recovery mode. Factory recovery allows you to flash updates, wipe the stock ROM, factory reset, etc. A custom recovery allows you to flash arbitrary updates (those which aren't signed by Samsung).

Phones running MDK bootloader can have a custom recovery that allows you to flash nonstandard ROMs.
    Past MDK, this requires the use of Safestrap recovery.