[Q] Help with flashing custom ROM

Search This thread

philophilo

Apr 29, 2014
Hey,
1st post here at xda. I have a s3 running 4.12 , stock rom vodafone in ireland.
I installed CWM and rooted phone. Then done a backup with CWM.
I tried to install R5 stock rom from internal sd card, i selected the zip file and the installation started but had an error
i coulnd;t see.

At this stage i panicked a bit. I tried again but wiped internal sdcard in CWM before i started.

Now the phone wont boot to any OS (since tried to install 2 other custom roms from xda, both times screnn went blank after choosing installation options)

Cant recover backup as its no longer on internal sd card.

I can access CWM. Should I start by installing stock rom from samsung site ?

Am I doing the custom rom installation correct by using CWM to install from zip file in sd card ?
I tried to install roms with odin but its looking for tar file ?

thanks for reading,
Phil

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
You are heading for a hard brick by not understanding what you are doing.

Go and read all the sticky threads in general forum, then carefully follow the guide on how to return to stock.

Once you have your phone working again then install the latest recovery version (I'd suggest philz), backup your efs, then try again.

Read and understand before you hit go.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Benko111

philophilo

Apr 29, 2014
Flash custom rom with recovery or odin?

Go and read all the sticky threads in general forum, then carefully follow the guide on how to return to stock.

Once you have your phone working again then install the latest recovery version (I'd suggest philz), backup your efs, then try again.

thanks. Read the general forum, was helpful. Its a great site, but in fairness there is so much information and some of it is conflicting to me, (maby i'm losing it!)

got the phone booting up again so happy days. will take my time and do backup before trying any custom roms.

After spending days reading how to flash custom roms, i'm still not getting how to 'flash custom rom' , as per the instructions i add zip to sd card then use custom recovery to run zip file ? Other places say to use odin, but every custom rom i've downloaded doesn't contain a tar file ?

Just want to improve battery life with a better rom, phone is 2 years old and battery isn;t the best.

thanks

revilionz

Apr 20, 2014
Do your research before attempting things like this. I'm relatively new in flashing, before I began the first time I made sure I followed and understood every steps before proceeding, go check youtube for tutorial videos if you are really not sure, sometimes it pays being paranoid

Benko111

May 22, 2013
Berlin
thanks. Read the general forum, was helpful. Its a great site, but in fairness there is so much information and some of it is conflicting to me, (maby i'm losing it!)

got the phone booting up again so happy days. will take my time and do backup before trying any custom roms.

After spending days reading how to flash custom roms, i'm still not getting how to 'flash custom rom' , as per the instructions i add zip to sd card then use custom recovery to run zip file ? Other places say to use odin, but every custom rom i've downloaded doesn't contain a tar file ?

Just want to improve battery life with a better rom, phone is 2 years old and battery isn;t the best.

thanks

Hi there,

you've got to understand that your first post sounded like yo did not do your research at all, which generally tons of people don't do whining about
their bricked devices afterwards in the forums. If you don't understand what you do - don't do it.
Your original mistake was probably not properly wiping and/or formatting certain partitions (e.g. one forgotten wipe of system or data partition often puts your phone into BL, all depending on what version you come from & go to etc.) before flashing the zip from CWM (which is the way you usually flash custom ROMS, you're right).
Every ROM provides installation instructions which are to be follwed exactly. Never use a file not made for your specific device. Don't do anything before you know how to revert in case of disaster. Don't do anything before you got a full Nandroid & EFS backup both transferred to your PC. And again, understand what you do.

Reactions: philophilo

philophilo

Apr 29, 2014
Memory loss after installing ROM

Hi there,

you've got to understand that your first post sounded like yo did not do your research at all, which generally tons of people don't do whining about
their bricked devices afterwards in the forums. If you don't understand what you do - don't do it.
Your original mistake was probably not properly wiping and/or formatting certain partitions (e.g. one forgotten wipe of system or data partition often puts your phone into BL, all depending on what version you come from & go to etc.) before flashing the zip from CWM (which is the way you usually flash custom ROMS, you're right).
Every ROM provides installation instructions which are to be follwed exactly. Never use a file not made for your specific device. Don't do anything before you know how to revert in case of disaster. Don't do anything before you got a full Nandroid & EFS backup both transferred to your PC. And again, understand what you do.

thanks benko.
Installed philz recovery and done backup to ext sdcard (errored out was <1 G free space on card)
Done backup to internal sdcard - had about 7GB free
Copied recovery folder back to PC.
Installed Revolution ROM and afterwards noticed internal memory only 1GB
Am now copying the blob folder to PC.
Is this the case with all of the recoveries to use so much space doing a backup ?
Where do I read up on the 0 folder here, i've searched but there is so much info its a bit confusing.

philophilo

Apr 29, 2014
0 folder

thanks benko.
Installed philz recovery and done backup to ext sdcard (errored out was <1 G free space on card)
Done backup to internal sdcard - had about 7GB free
Copied recovery folder back to PC.
Installed Revolution ROM and afterwards noticed internal memory only 1GB
Am now copying the blob folder to PC.
Is this the case with all of the recoveries to use so much space doing a backup ?
Where do I read up on the 0 folder here, i've searched but there is so much info its a bit confusing.

I know the subject has been covered already, just looking for a thread where i can read in simply form about what to do.
I copied blob file to pc , freed up another 4 gb, OS and backups still taking up 12/16GB of internal storage without any user app or data , just not right.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

thanks

Hi there,