How do I make a shortcut to the Youtube app (Fuze)

Search This thread

johndango

Oct 25, 2008
I found the program but I can figure out how to make it go somewhere more accessible. Any help would be great. Thanks.

stevierg

Oct 2, 2007
Kirkland, WA
In that case use file explorer on the device and copy the youtube.exe file.

Go to the windows\startmenu\programs folder and then paste a shortcut.

Just tried it out and it works fine. :)

ITNV

Jun 26, 2008
I added it to the Internet tab on my Fuze, just under the homepage button and above my favorites. (Where it is on all the European versions of the Touch Pro!)

The process isn't too difficult but you'll need a good file explorer like Total Commander and if you're not comfortable editing Read-Only TF3D files, then DON'T TRY THIS!!

You'll need to edit the InternetPortal-en-US.xml file located in the \Application Data\Manila\ folder, so it's probably a good idea to make a backup of the file before you start messing with it.

Find the <OperatorLinks> section in the file.

Between <OperatorLinks> and </OperatorLinks> add this text:

<Link
Text="YouTube"
Executable="\windows\youtube.exe"
ImagePath="\Windows\HTC\Assets\Images\InternetPortal\youtube.qtc"
/>

Save the file and make it Read-Only again and you should have a YouTube icon on your Internet tab.

lbhocky19

Feb 18, 2007
I added it to the Internet tab on my Fuze, just under the homepage button and above my favorites. (Where it is on all the European versions of the Touch Pro!)

The process isn't too difficult but you'll need a good file explorer like Total Commander and if you're not comfortable editing Read-Only TF3D files, then DON'T TRY THIS!!

You'll need to edit the InternetPortal-en-US.xml file located in the \Application Data\Manila\ folder, so it's probably a good idea to make a backup of the file before you start messing with it.

<Link
Text="YouTube"
/>

Save the file and make it Read-Only again and you should have a YouTube icon on your Internet tab.

il be giving this a shot
does it get rid of the stupid media net link or is there a way?

ITNV

Jun 26, 2008
il be giving this a shot
does it get rid of the stupid media net link or is there a way?

Yeah, you can change the default launch page in that file, too.

In the <Banner> section, edit the NavigateURL to whatever page you want it to open by default and change the Text to match.

e.g.

NavigateUrl="http://www.google.com/"
Text="Google"

rymonday

Jun 3, 2008

<Link
Text="YouTube"
/>

Badass thank you so much!!!

christian15213

Jan 2, 2007
This worked great.... Could you do a favor and put an app that would add windows live mobile just above or below the same youtube link?

wmm

Jun 23, 2007
Sudbury, MA
Hmm. I found the app in \windows and ran it. It just sits there spinning and saying downloading. I waited several minutes, but it appears to be hung rather than doing anything; in particular, sliding out the keyboard doesn't change it to landscape mode. I am connected; I can run Opera and get to web sites. Any ideas?

ITNV

Jun 26, 2008
Hmm. I found the app in \windows and ran it. It just sits there spinning and saying downloading. I waited several minutes, but it appears to be hung rather than doing anything; in particular, sliding out the keyboard doesn't change it to landscape mode. I am connected; I can run Opera and get to web sites. Any ideas?

Mine did the same thing the first time I ran the YouTube app. I had to change the category using the buttons at the top (from Featured to Top Rated or vice-vera) and then it worked fine.

ITNV

Jun 26, 2008
This worked great.... Could you do a favor and put an app that would add windows live mobile just above or below the same youtube link?

this should work. just add this line after the YouTube one:

<Link
Text="LiveSearch"
Executable="\Program Files\Live Search\LSLaunch.exe"
ImagePath="\windows\msn.bmp" />

that's not a very good icon but it was all i could find and it's better than nothing. i'm sure someone on here can recommend a better icon but that should give you the general idea for adding apps to the internet tab.

adonishui

Oct 19, 2008
I can't seem to find the youtube.exe program file anywhere. I looked in my programs on the Fuze and all the directories in windows explorer to no avail. Am I looking at the wrong place? Or can I download this file somewhere and install it? I am new to WinMo devices and everything is just so new to me. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

cparkhorn

Sep 17, 2007
Youtube Icon

Great advice IT, my main MediaNet globe icon was set to device.home which was a dead link or something, just hung every time I pressed it, changed it as you described and works pefectly. The YouTube works as well, but I have a question:
<Link
Text="YouTube"
ImagePath="\Windows\HTC\Assets\Images\InternetPort al\youtube.qtc"
/>

The \Windows\HTC folder doesn't exist (from what I can find) on my Fuze, and the Icon on the tf3d tab is just a white square. Any hints on why that would be, I copied this exactly, even put the /> on a separate line to end etc and no go.

Thank you very much.

ITNV

Jun 26, 2008
Great advice IT, my main MediaNet globe icon was set to device.home which was a dead link or something, just hung every time I pressed it, changed it as you described and works pefectly. The YouTube works as well, but I have a question:
<Link
Text="YouTube"
ImagePath="\Windows\HTC\Assets\Images\InternetPort al\youtube.qtc"
/>

The \Windows\HTC folder doesn't exist (from what I can find) on my Fuze, and the Icon on the tf3d tab is just a white square. Any hints on why that would be, I copied this exactly, even put the /> on a separate line to end etc and no go.

Thank you very much.

It's not that picky, you don't need to put the /> on a separate line. For some reason a space got inserted into InternetPortal when I posted this so you might want to check to make sure you didn't include the space in your file.

I don't have a \Windows\HTC folder either. I'm pretty sure it's some kind of virtual directory that TF3D uses. I looked around a little in the Manila editing thread in the Diamond ROM forum but it's way more complicated than I want to deal with. I'm not sure why I have that icon file and you don't but I'm not running the standard AT&T theme so that might be part of the problem.

You can edit the ImagePath to point to a .jpg file that you want to use as an icon, too. For example, if you take the youtube.jpg file attached to this post and copy it to your \Windows directory on your Fuze, you can change the ImagePath to "\Windows\youtube.jpg" and that should work.

Attachments

• youtube.jpg
    youtube.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 819