[Q] BETA ICS 4.0.X - Team DRH - data partition size

Search This thread

toast000

May 19, 2010
Is there a way to either a) make the data partition larger than 2GB or b) do some kind of apps2sd even though ICS doesn't support it? I've been reinstalling everything since putting on the latest version of the rom and have plenty of internal (and external) SD space, but only a few megs left of my data partition for installations. Would the partition be possible through CWM up to 4GB or higher through nvflash?

rajeevvp

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
You can increase or decrease the size allocated to /data as you wish. And you'll have to do it using CWM, not nvflash.

Do you want to keep your existing data while you increase the size of the /data partition?

toast000

May 19, 2010
I would prefer to save it. I had just planned to use Titanium and send it all up to Box.com (hooray for the free 50 gigs).

rajeevvp

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
OK. Then, the easiest method is to use GParted.

0. Go to the Parted Magic website and download and burn the latest version of the Parted Magic CD or USB-stick image.

1. Boot into CWM, select the "mounts and storage" menu item, then unmount all mounted partitions. Do not back out of that screen--stay there until you're done.

2. Boot into PartedMagic, run Firefox and get the ADB binary from here. Save the adb.zip file into /tmp. Run these commands in a Terminal window:

Code:
root@PartedMagic:~# [B]unzip -d /usr/local/bin /tmp/adb.zip[/B]
root@PartedMagic:~# [B]chmod 500 /usr/local/bin/adb[/B]
3. Run these commands to make the internal SD card visible to GParted (use /dev/block/mmcblk2 for the external SD card):
Code:
root@PartedMagic:~# [B]adb shell[/B]
~ # [B]echo /dev/block/mmcblk3 > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file[/B]
4.Now run the Partition Editor (GParted) program and select the SD card device from the drop down list.

5. Resize the data partition by dragging the partition boundary, then select "Apply".

6. After the operation completes, exit GParted and run this ADB command to dismount USB storage:
Code:
~ # [B]echo '' > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file[/B]
7. Now back out of the "Mounts and Storage Menu" in CWM and reboot the gTablet.

Last edited:
Reactions: toast000

toast000

May 19, 2010
I have all partitions unmounted in CWM, but when I try to do "adb shell" it gives me the "error: device not found" message.

EDIT: It was a driver issue. I'm repartitioning now and everything seems to be going well. Thanks!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK. Then, the easiest method is to use GParted.

0. Go to the Parted Magic website and download and burn the latest version of the Parted Magic CD or USB-stick image.

1. Boot into CWM, select the "mounts and storage" menu item, then unmount all mounted partitions. Do not back out of that screen--stay there until you're done.

2. Boot into PartedMagic, run Firefox and get the ADB binary from here. Save the adb.zip file into /tmp. Run these commands in a Terminal window:

Code:
    root@PartedMagic:~# [B]unzip -d /usr/local/bin /tmp/adb.zip[/B]
    root@PartedMagic:~# [B]chmod 500 /usr/local/bin/adb[/B]
    3. Run these commands to make the internal SD card visible to GParted (use /dev/block/mmcblk2 for the external SD card):
    Code:
    ~ # [B]echo /dev/block/mmcblk3 > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file[/B]
    4.Now run the Partition Editor (GParted) program and select the SD card device from the drop down list.

5. Resize the data partition by dragging the partition boundary, then select "Apply".

6. After the operation completes, exit GParted and run this ADB command to dismount USB storage:
    Code:
    ~ # [B]echo '' > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file[/B]
    7. Now back out of the "Mounts and Storage Menu" in CWM and reboot the gTablet.