[Q] [i9020A] Can't Update from ICS to JB

Search This thread

DavRoc

Feb 23, 2013
I'm having problems updating the OS on my unrooted, stock Nexus S I9020A, running on Straight Talk on an AT&T sim. When I purchased it, it was on 2.3.4. As soon as I turned it on (which was prior to the release ICS for this phone), it upgraded itself to 2.3.6 over WiFi via an OTA download. However when ICS came out, it did not upgrade itself OTA, despite waiting several weeks after the OTA appeared to be rolling out here in the US (since I got the 2.3.6 upgrade before I had even put the sim in, I assumed that the fact that I was on Straight Talk should not matter, but I'm not 100% clear on that). In any event, after getting tired of waiting, I updated the OS to ICS 4.0.4 manually by downloading the official OTA zip file manually, copying it to the phone, rebooting into recovery mode, and applying the update. Now that JB has been released, I've waited again for it to update automatically OTA, but no joy. So I again downloaded the official OTA zip file (android.clients.google.com/pa...a/P2lZDQWb.zip), and tried to do it manually. This time, however, I get the following error each time:

Finding update package . . .
Opening update package . . .
Verifying update package . . .
Installing update . . .
Verifying current system . . .
assert failed: apply_patch_space (16570800)
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

As far as I can tell, I'm using the correct file. Currently, from the bootloader my Product Name is Herring; Hardware Version is Rev. 16; Bootloader is ver. I9020XXKL1; Baseband Ver. is I9020UCKJ1; and Carrier Info is AT&T. In Settings, About Phone, it says my baseband is I9020AUCKJ1, and Kernel is 3.0.8-g665123, android-build@vpbs1 #1, Thus. Feb 2 16:56:02 PST 2012.

I've also tried doing a full reset on the phone, but that doesn't help. Asking it to check for updates doesn't do anything, and I get the same error message when I tried to do it manually as described above after resetting.

Any advice? Hate to be stuck on ICS. Many thanks.

_android_

Jan 15, 2011
Toronto
I'm having problems updating the OS on my unrooted, stock Nexus S I9020A, running on Straight Talk on an AT&T sim. When I purchased it, it was on 2.3.4. As soon as I turned it on (which was prior to the release ICS for this phone), it upgraded itself to 2.3.6 over WiFi via an OTA download. However when ICS came out, it did not upgrade itself OTA, despite waiting several weeks after the OTA appeared to be rolling out here in the US (since I got the 2.3.6 upgrade before I had even put the sim in, I assumed that the fact that I was on Straight Talk should not matter, but I'm not 100% clear on that). In any event, after getting tired of waiting, I updated the OS to ICS 4.0.4 manually by downloading the official OTA zip file manually, copying it to the phone, rebooting into recovery mode, and applying the update. Now that JB has been released, I've waited again for it to update automatically OTA, but no joy. So I again downloaded the official OTA zip file (android.clients.google.com/pa...a/P2lZDQWb.zip), and tried to do it manually. This time, however, I get the following error each time:

Finding update package . . .
Opening update package . . .
Verifying update package . . .
Installing update . . .
Verifying current system . . .
assert failed: apply_patch_space (16570800)
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

As far as I can tell, I'm using the correct file. Currently, from the bootloader my Product Name is Herring; Hardware Version is Rev. 16; Bootloader is ver. I9020XXKL1; Baseband Ver. is I9020UCKJ1; and Carrier Info is AT&T. In Settings, About Phone, it says my baseband is I9020AUCKJ1, and Kernel is 3.0.8-g665123, android-build@vpbs1 #1, Thus. Feb 2 16:56:02 PST 2012.

I've also tried doing a full reset on the phone, but that doesn't help. Asking it to check for updates doesn't do anything, and I get the same error message when I tried to do it manually as described above after resetting.

Any advice? Hate to be stuck on ICS. Many thanks.

The patch you are trying to apply fails pre-requisite system check. Probably the wrong version.

Go to https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#sojuajzo54k, or get this full Google Factory Image, un-tar/7-zip and run flash-all.bat or flash-all.sh (linux).

Check this out for steps in detail.

DavRoc

Feb 23, 2013
Thanks. That's what I thought. And I thought the solution was what you suggested, but I'm afraid it feels over my head. I've been looking for more detailed instructions for someone at my skill level, but have not found them.

I see that the 1st step of the more detailed instructions is to download the Android SDK Tools, but the instructions are written for the Windows tools, and I'm on a Mac. I see that there appears to be a Mac version at developer.android.com/sdk/index.html. However that version appears to be for 64 bit systems, and my old Mini is a 32 bit (running 10.6.8), and, indeed, when I try to run Eclipse (which is what I gather is the program that allows access to the other tools), it says its not compatible with my system. While there doesn't appear to be a 32 bit version of the ADT bundle, I see that there's also a download link for "SDK Tools Only." I'm not clear if that's 32 bit.

So I'm stuck on step one, much less understanding how actually run SDK Manager, and where to put the factory image on a Mac system, and how to issue the linux commands to the phone (I'm guessing that once I'm running the right program on my Mac when I connect the phone via USB I can issue the commands).

So, any idea where there are detailed instructions for doing this on a Mac?

Many thanks.

UPDATE: Never mind, I figured it out. Your answer gave me the phrases to google.

Last edited:

DavRoc

Feb 23, 2013
Thought I'd post what worked for me in case it helps others, since I didn't find any tutorials that actually had all steps or all instructions accurate.

I more or less followed the instructions at xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1917237 (can't post full links yet, so add the necessary http:// prefix to all links) to download and install ADB and fastboot on a Mac. But you don't need the full ADT Bundle (which is 64 bit so won't work on older Macs). If you scroll down to Download for Other Platforms, you can download the SDK only (I saw on other sites links to download just ADB and fastboot, but wanted to get my stuff directly from Google), and that worked on my 32 bit system. The instructions at the link above about what files you need, and where to put them worked for me (you can put your Android folder as described there anywhere). Key seems to be to have ADB and fastboot in the same directory as the unpacked factory image files that you'll also download. I did not bother with the nano editor steps (because I didn't fully understand what they were doing, and they turned out to be completely unnecessary).

Here's another set of instructions for getting ADB and fastboot only, but I didn't use these: android.stackexchange.com/questions/26612/doing-a-clean-install-of-android-on-nexus-s-galaxy-nexus-or-nexus-7.

I also downloaded the latest factory image from developers.google.com/android/nexus/images (see not above about placement of files).

I then put the phone is USB Debug mode in Settings/Developer Options/USB Debugging.

I then went into fastboot mode by turning off the phone, then press and hold Volume Up, then press and hold Power.

I then more or less followed the step by step instructions here: forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-4-rooting-roms-hacks/223923-guide-nexus-4-factory-image-restore.html, substituting the directories I had created with the downloads above, and the files I had downloaded (these instructions are for a Nexus 4). You'll note, however, that the factory image has batch and shell files with instructions that match those given, and you can see those instructions by opening the bat files or sh files with a text editor. None of the batch or shell files would execute for me though, so I had to do the steps manually as outlined in the link above. Also, the instructions at the link say that for Macs you have to add "-mac" (without the quotes) to each Linus command. That didn't work for me, and I just used the commands as written. I preceded all commands with ./ after having first using the ./ cd command to get to the right directory where the files were located, as noted above. Finallly, Instead of step 5, I did the command ./ fastboot oem unlock.

Hopefully this will help someone else.