Smashy smashy ... dropped my Note 2 today and screen broke. Gruesome pics inside.

Search This thread

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
:highfive: I'll vouch for you as I have the same case and I also love it.

Had the same case on my old phone for 2 years and it held up great.

Seidio is top shelf product...IMHO....and having used their wares for years, I'll never use anything but Otter or Seidio.
After all, we are talking about a $700.00 device here. And while that may be nothing for some, I value my investments and will protect them to the best of my ability.....g

seriosbrad

Sep 2, 2010
Alberta
This makes me paranoid. I use my smartphones primarily as music players at work. Time to get some wireless headphones lol :crying::crying:

raduque

You....are a damn lucky note 2 owner.....and the first I've heard about having a dropped note "not" break the glass.
My Boss has dropped his 3 times, and is on his 3rd note...LOL...g

Haha, that sucks. I dropped my myTouch 4G Slide from waist-height onto concrete and obliterated the glass. Then, I obliterated the LCD trying to REPLACE the glass. Now, I'm just trying to find a bricked/dead one with a good display half to swap it out.

My mother dropped her T-Mo SII numerous times, but her luck ran out and she destroyed the glass so bad that pieces of it started coming off, and she cut her finger on it. She has an Optimus G (branded Nexus 4) now, and I'm very very scared for that phone...

2phonejones

Jul 6, 2009
Lansing,MI
www.youtube.com
Pics:
http://imgur.com/a/LMw0a#0

I use the OEM Samsung Note 2 case which has a rubber lip around the glass... (Not on the phone in the pictures.) It clearly didn't help in this case. Was putting the phone into my pocket at lunch while headphones were connected. The wire snagged and tilted the phone out of my hand. As it fell it was heading down to hit the bottom edge at and angle but it ran out of wire (as the earbuds were in my ears) so it yanked the wire, which spun it around making sure it hit the ground perfectly face first.

Didn't bounce ... make a funny sound. I had a feeling that was it .... and yep, picked it up and this.

Even though shards of glass are coming off, the digitizer and S-pen still worked perfectly! I quickly go on the phone to Ensquared and a replacement is on its way. $75 deductible isn't too bad, considering the price of the phone. (I bought the $99.99 two year warranty option when I got this phone.)

First phone I have ever broken, and I had a Droid X phone for two years with a ton of drops, no case and never an issue. (Just scratches on the body and even a ding on the metal lip of the screen.) Bad luck or is the Note 2 just more fragile? Price we pay for the huge screen?

I'm using a HTC Amaze 4G right now ... 4.3" screen and it's impossible to use now. Feels so cramped and tiny .... and so slow and laggy. Replacement can't come quickly enough.

How the heck was your deductible only $75?!

adrianblack

Mar 22, 2008
West Coast
How the heck was your deductible only $75?!

Ensquared warranty deductible is only $75 including overnight shipping. My new phone came in a few days and it's an AT&T refurb phone but looks absolutely brand new. Even came with a new battery........

I am using a Diztronic case now which has a much bigger lip over the glass. Want to try to avoid a repeat if I drop the phone again.

http://www.ensquared.com/

3_D

Oct 28, 2005
Melissa,TX
Same thing happened to mine. I always use a case, but one day I decided to go naked. Yep, it fell and the screen was completely wasted.
Luckily, I had bought the Squaretrade warranty. I sent in and they replaced the screen and I got it back in 3 days. Funny, they were sending me pictures of the repair process .

JesseMT4G

Aug 30, 2011
Youngstown
Man seeing these pics makes me cry inside. I don't know what I will do if this ever happened to me. I have had many phones over the years, however never had a screen break on me. *Knock on wood! *

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
Haha, that sucks. I dropped my myTouch 4G Slide from waist-height onto concrete and obliterated the glass. Then, I obliterated the LCD trying to REPLACE the glass. Now, I'm just trying to find a bricked/dead one with a good display half to swap it out.

My mother dropped her T-Mo SII numerous times, but her luck ran out and she destroyed the glass so bad that pieces of it started coming off, and she cut her finger on it. She has an Optimus G (branded Nexus 4) now, and I'm very very scared for that phone...

Anyone willing to use a phone so long with broken glass, that they draw blood, deserves a new phone. ....with a free case...lol

UCLAKoolman

Dec 6, 2011
So happy I bought a warranty as well. I went with squaretrade $99 for two years, $99 deductible... a bit more expensive than OP but still way cheaper than a new screen/phone.

Feb 15, 2011
Atchafalaya
once compromised, another drop usually is the coup de grace

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!!

Had to relinquish the Note 2 for an S3....here's to holding out until the Note 3 releases
IMG_2294.JPG

adrianblack

Mar 22, 2008
West Coast
once compromised, another drop usually is the coup de grace

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!!

Had to relinquish the Note 2 for an S3....here's to holding out until the Note 3 releases
IMG_2294.JPG

So sorry to hear. As time goes on replacing the front glass should get cheaper as more people learn to do it. Someone told me there was one place in town that could do it for $200 but YMMV. (And the quality of their work, LOL)

I have been using my replacement phone for a while now, and I was VERY happy with Ensquared. They have a 24 hour number to call. My claim went in on Friday and I got the replacement phone on Tuesday. (Shipped overnight on Monday) The cost for the replacement was $75 and the phone looks like an official AT&T refurb. (That's that the box said) The device is 100% perfect, though -- absolutely no sign of it having been used before.

It was still running 4.1.1 so I just quickly rooted it and installed TWRP. First made a full backup of the bone stock OEM system on the new phone...... Then did the SIM unlock since the old radio could do this no problem. Next I restored my nandroid backup from my broken phone. It was as if I was back on my original phone. :) For the broken phone I was about to return, I restored the stock 4.1.1 onto it from the nandroid I had just made on the refurb phone, then flashed stock recovery, did triangle away and unrooted the device. (Don't know if any of that would really matter)

Anyway, for everyone's next purchase, if you live in the US I recommend Ensquared. Oh, and my friend coincidentally dropped his international S3 the same day I did, and Ensquared replaced his phone like for like. He was worried he would end up with an AT&T variant ... but he got another international S3.

itzkat

Jun 22, 2013
Broken Screen Galaxy Note II

I have been reading a lot about this on various droid forums. Unfortunately, while sitting on the floor, my Note II fell out of my pocket and shattered the outer glass. Phone and all functions work perfectly still. However, this seems to be EXTREMELY delicate! Everyone around me was shocked because this was not a crash and we barely even heard it land. Fell face down. I had the phone 48 hrs. Luckily, I do have insurance but $100 deductible to replace my brand new phone with one I'm sure is refurbished is sad. No kudos to Samsung. This is not acceptable!

~ K ~

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
no case. no screen protector, no phone....Expensive lesson to learn, but hopefully never happens to you again..

over the years I have learned that until I have a screen protector and hopefully some sort of case, the phone stays in the box...not that a screen protector would have saved your screen for sure, but it would have increased your chances of it not shattering, unless it just hit the floor is that one sweet spot that would have smashed the glass no matter what...

Reactions: gregsarg

Sass86

Jul 2, 2011
Boston, MA
Always buy a case, everyone drops their phone at some point. I also got my phone from best buy and used their insurance. I dropped my phone and broke the screen, they replaced my phone at no charge (aside from the $10/ a month I pay). They say it's no limit on repairs per year either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

jaaluk

Apr 15, 2013
New Orleans
They say otter box is bulky especially with the GN2, but it's a small price to pay for protection. I had the earphone thing happen to me alot especially at work. I work around total concrete and steel and this old otter box saved my phone time and time again.

SeNt FRoM oVeR THeRe-----> GALAXY note2 FaR FaR aWaY!!!

Knight-Rider

Feb 28, 2013
UAG case best impact case I've used, I've dropped my Note 2 at least 4 times and not a scratch or ding anywhere. I do have a back up Note 2 just in case anything were to happen though lol.

E4gt007

Feb 29, 2012
South Florida
Screen breakage

First let me say- I just traded in my Galaxy s2 at BestBuy..but the s2 had gorilla glass! The Note 2 has NO Gorilla Glass??? The S4 ? I'm surprised it has no GG. But I ordered the otterbox defender same day online for 31.00 shipped. I cant imagine the pain in stomach of dropping the Note 2- I also went for best buy protection plan. ( though I'm not pleased with the refurb idea..)::fingers-crossed:

jeep447

May 24, 2009
St. Louis
I guess I'm spoiled since I fix small electronics for a living, because I can't imagine paying even a $75 deductible for an insurance claim when it literally only costs $15 bucks to repair it when you do it yourself. You're lucky the super amoled lcd screen itself didn't crack because that's definitely when insurance comes in handy considering the lcd itself costs over $300 at wholesale prices. Whenever it's just the digitizer (the top glass that you touch is separate from the lcd screen underneath) that's broken, it doesn't matter what phone it is it'll almost always cost less than $20 to repair. :D

Sent from the bag phone in my Pontiac Fierro

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would live with it bro,, this was my s3 I lived through... just think the next big thing will be out soon enough right.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using xda premium
    Ya not too bad really. They want the old phone back, so I'm sure they repair them. For all I know I'm getting a refurb. We shall see. I think I'm going to buy a better case. Something with a slightly bigget lip on it.

-Sent from somewhere in the world

Check out the "Seidio convert" case for the note 2 on amazon...
    About $55.00 for the combo case, but wow...It's a fine setup for this device.
    It combines the traditional seidio mid-snap hard case, with a soft TPU outer case, and is held together by an ABS exo-skelton cover.
    It also has a holster, and all controls are still functional with both case parts installed.

You can strip off the outer shell, and run lean with the active case in the office, or load up the outer cover and be protected to the extreme.

Mine got here today, and It's worth every penny...

Now, to get my new note 2 here tomorrow......

Sorry for the crash, but between this setup and otter box, you have 2 great choices to protect this fragile screen.....

Edit: No, This is not an ad thread....LOL.....g

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

Damn I would be pissed if mine broke I just paid 300 for it and dont have warranty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

Insurance my friend....gotta have it......IMHO....g

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

Dropped my N2 from about 4ft onto smooth concrete. Popped the flip cover and battery out, but other than that, no issues.

You....are a damn lucky note 2 owner.....and the first I've heard about having a dropped note "not" break the glass.
    My Boss has dropped his 3 times, and is on his 3rd note...LOL...g
    Edit: No, This is not an ad thread....LOL.....

:highfive: I'll vouch for you as I have the same case and I also love it.

Had the same case on my old phone for 2 years and it held up great.
    no case. no screen protector, no phone....Expensive lesson to learn, but hopefully never happens to you again..

over the years I have learned that until I have a screen protector and hopefully some sort of case, the phone stays in the box...not that a screen protector would have saved your screen for sure, but it would have increased your chances of it not shattering, unless it just hit the floor is that one sweet spot that would have smashed the glass no matter what...