[ROM] Custom Rom For ChaCha - GB

Search This thread

astarman

Jan 3, 2012
does the wifi drain a lot of battery if i dont do that mod?
i seem to be draining a lot of batt from wifi on!

didije

Nov 10, 2009
I've updated the links for Backlight settings. I made a mistake and posted an odexed link for deodexed versions (it has been like that for couple of days and I apologize). Also I fixed the gps icon when it is acquiring signal in odexed version.

Last edited:

didije

Nov 10, 2009
does the wifi drain a lot of battery if i dont do that mod?
i seem to be draining a lot of batt from wifi on!

WiFi is draining a lot of battery regardless of the tweak. The tweak just prevents the phone from disconnecting wifi when signal is weaker (lower than -90db). The link for the backlight settings of the deodexed versions were wrong, so if you flashed one of those, I recommend you to reflash the rom with the right one I just posted.

Regards

Last edited:

astarman

Jan 3, 2012
WiFi is draining a lot of battery regardless of the tweak. The tweak just prevents the phone from disconnecting wifi when signal is weaker (lower than -90db). The link for the backlight settings of the deodexed versions were wrong, so if you flashed one of those, I recommend you to reflash the rom with the right one I just posted.

Regards

so is there no way of fixing the wifi? :(

didije

Nov 10, 2009
it was just sleeping for 5 hours and it drained around 50%..

It is just not possible. Maybe some 3rd party app that you installed is causing the drain. When I was using it (every one of it), while it was in sleep mode it didn't drain 1-2% for 6 and more hours. Just before I sold it, I remember charging it fully and the next morning the battery was still at 100%. My recommendation is to reflash the rom (with all the wipes prior to flashing - wipe data/factory reset, format system, clear dalvik).

And how is wifi going to drain the battery when it turns itself off after some time in deep sleep (regardless of your wifi sleep settings in the wifi section)?

Last edited:

astarman

Jan 3, 2012
It is just not possible. Maybe some 3rd party app that you installed is causing the drain. When I was using it (every one of it), while it was in sleep mode it didn't drain 1-2% for 6 and more hours. Just before I sold it, I remember charging it fully and the next morning the battery was still at 100%. My recommendation is to reflash the rom (with all the wipes prior to flashing - wipe data/factory reset, format system, clear dalvik).

And how is wifi going to drain the battery when it turns itself off after some time in deep sleep (regardless of your wifi sleep settings in the wifi section)?

I've only got whatsapp and link2sd installed. Maybe I moved something wrong ?

papamopps

Retired Moderator
Mar 16, 2006
Cologne
Testing this ROM and I am very happy about speed and Ram.

BUT - i cannot find any way to disable the hardwarebuttons to reactivate the phone?? Where can I set ONLY Powerbutton to wake up and where can I set widetlocker only to unlock by sliding the unlockbutton??

Thanks!

And has anyony a tip for a good calendar that shows different googlecalendar? And a good alarm clock?

At the moment I am using "Digi Clock" and "Simple calendar" any better app?? cause i cannot get alarms for digi clock

thanks.

didije

Nov 10, 2009
Testing this ROM and I am very happy about speed and Ram.

BUT - i cannot find any way to disable the hardwarebuttons to reactivate the phone?? Where can I set ONLY Powerbutton to wake up and where can I set widetlocker only to unlock by sliding the unlockbutton??

Thanks!

And has anyony a tip for a good calendar that shows different googlecalendar? And a good alarm clock?

At the moment I am using "Digi Clock" and "Simple calendar" any better app?? cause i cannot get alarms for digi clock

thanks.

You can disable easywakemode in widget locker, but then you will see traces of default gb lockscreen which are annoying (and I wouldn't recommend), and even that will not help much. Our device has a window of 5-10 seconds in which it is possible to wake the device (just after you lock it) with buttons other than power button. That happens even with unmodified stock rom. Check it and you will see that after 5-10 seconds you cannot wake it with any button other than power button (and in my case the A button - I was very surprised about this and I still cannot figure out why). As for the unlocking options, if I can remember correctly, I disabled all interactions, notification slider, menu button and back button unlock in widget locker options and I was able to unlock the phone only with an unlock slider.

As for the alarm app, I would recommend Alarm Clock Plus. It is free and really suitable to my needs. About calendar, I don't have a clue, sorry.

Regards

Last edited:

papamopps

Retired Moderator
Mar 16, 2006
Cologne
Check it and you will see that after 5-10 seconds you cannot wake it with any button other than power button (and in my case the A button - I was very surprised about this and I still cannot figure out why)

Regards

Thanks. I realized it now with the delay of 5-10seconds... and YES teh A-Button will wake up :D

Thanks for your tips.

I love your rom!

But one question? I connot update the hololauncher via playstore.

papamopps

Retired Moderator
Mar 16, 2006
Cologne
Another Problem:

The caller isn´t shown in display when pone calls comes in.... Just the unlockslider.... How can i enable caller Picture??

babu916

Sep 26, 2008
dialer bug?

Does this rom still have the dialer issue? I'm running cm7 now & gps is not working, so i want to install this one.

deronw

Nov 5, 2009
Bangkok
www.morpheustrading.com
Thanks!

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post this ROM.

I have tried other custom ROMS for my Cha Cha, but they all left me with only about 20 mb or less of memory after applications installed. With this ROM, I have about 40 to 50...and it's fast too.

Nice work.

DW

hitanshu

Apr 29, 2011
Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post this ROM.

I have tried other custom ROMS for my Cha Cha, but they all left me with only about 20 mb or less of memory after applications installed. With this ROM, I have about 40 to 50...and it's fast too.

Nice work.

DW

The ONLY sustainable solution is http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1716124 (which works on CM ROMs). I am now running with 2GB internal memory on my phone. There are alot of issues with the CM ROMs (they dont have the apps in this ROM), but still nothing like the peace of mind of some internal memory!!

siddiqui

Mar 2, 2010
Karachi
Hi,

Well I did everything you said on installing the ROM. After Installations First Boot restarts every time and HTC Quietly Brilliant repeats.

9v9

Jul 26, 2010
Underground
Baby steps

I want to test this ROM but only if the above issues have been resolved...including making a backup/restore without issues.

tawfik badawi

Jun 2, 2014
can you tell me what did you edited on this mod ? Automatic backlight and status bar tweak for odexed version
witch xml? and where can i find it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone!

Finally, I am satisfied with my chacha. I was constantly shifting between stock custom rom and cm roms. In stock rom everything works but automatic backlight settings are just terrible (especially dim threshold and keyboard light settings) and status bar is bigger than in cm roms (32px vs 25px). Cm roms have all of this but there are other things that still need improvement (front cam, some stability issues etc.). Therefore I decided to create my own mod of stock rom. It is based on Europe RUU 1.3.3 android 2.3.3. I couldn’t find anywhere 2.3.5 Europe rom but to be honest I don’t see any difference between the two. There are two versions:

1. Full sense rom: Link

What is different: rooted, added busybox, support init.d, dta2sd included (you need to partition your sd to ext2 or ext3 after installation and enter dta2sd commands from terminal emulator – google for the commands if you don’t know them), changed the ugly calculator app, added file explorer, added latest play store, Flash player 11 is working. I haven’t removed any apps because in this version I wanted to leave that to the user according to his/her own preferences. Status bar is smaller (more space on the screen) and I themed it a little, removed charging icon (I know that it is charging because phone’s led is orange :D). Automatic brightness is tweaked (added lower brightness level, lowered the max brightness of the f button, and added one level for the keyboard lights (sometimes, in stock roms, I couldn’t see my keyboard clearly and the damn lights just wouldn’t turn on so I had to do this tweak as well). And rom is fully deodexed.

2. Stripped rom (no sense): Link

What is different: rooted, added busybox, support init.d, dta2sd included (you need to partition your sd to ext2 or ext3 after installation and enter dta2sd commands from terminal emulator – google for the commands if you don’t know them), changed the ugly calculator app, added file explorer, added latest play store, removed sense, added widget locker, holo launcher, removed a lot of bloatware (at least, bloatware for me), f button is not assigned (I’ll leave that to the user, I use it to turn my screen off but didn’t changed it to this since several people reported issues). Same automatic backlight and status bar tweaks like in the sense rom and it is also deodexed.

3. Stripped rom (odexed): Link

What is different: Same as in stripped rom with the exeption of these: odexed (now 120mb free out of the box), status bar icons have an ICS look and color (wifi, signal, data, bluetooth etc.), notification toggles app added (fully functional and works great, just in the settings set it as an on-going notification and as old in order to be always on top; it has many different icons and styles and colors are changable as well, really nice app), fb button is set to turn screen off, dta2sd not included, different backlight values.

Automatic backlight and status bar tweak for odexed version: Link

Automatic backlight and status bar tweak (sense and stripped deodexed): Link

Flash Player 11: Link

Instructions:

1. Reboot into recovery; wipe data/factory reset; mounts and storage/format system; install from sd card; choose and install your rom; reboot your phone; finish your first boot setup.

2. Reboot into recovery; install from sd card; choose and install backlight.zip; reboot your phone.

3. Install flash player apk; reboot phone.

That’s it. Hope that someone will like it.

Sorry for the poor screenshots.

Regards

P.S. I am not going to support these mods. Everyone is invited to use them and do with them whatever you want. So please don’t ask me does it support this, does it support that, can you do this, can you do that. For me, it is perfect and I don’t need to do or change anything. Everything is working for me. I just wanted to share it with you. I hope that you can understand this.

Edit: I used this guide (thanks kylon) to improve wifi signal range and it worked for me, so I am going to share these settings with you. Mke sure you do this with your WiFi off. Here is what you have to do:

1. Copy your calibration file (found in proc in the root of your phone) to the sd card (it is best to do all steps with root explorer) and download from the attachments framework.jar (here is a link for an odexed version - extract jar and odex files) and symlinkv2.zip.

2. Move the calibration file to system/etc and set permissions as they are set in the screenshot.

3. Reboot into recovery and install symlinkv2.zip.

4. Open calibration file in system/etc (again, best with root explorer) and change this line: rssi_offset=0 into this: rssi_offset=-30
    Delete created bak file if you are using root explorer.

5. Copy downloaded framework.jar (I already modified it according to the offset - 30, and if you are using odexed version copy both jar and odex files) to system/framework and set permissions according to the screenshot. Reboot your phone.

6. Done.

This trick did wonders for me and my wifi, hope it will help you as well. If it doesn't, try different values both in calibration file and framework.jar according to the original thread.

Cheers.
    I was cleaning my pc from stuff relating to ChaCha, since I don't have it anymore, and I bumped into an odexed version of my stripped rom with some modifications which I was editing just before I sent my phone to be repaired. I added it to the first post if someone wishes to try it. What is different that the first stripped version: odexed (120mb free out of the box), status bar has a different look (ICS color and icons in status bar), fb button turns off the screen (this can be easily changed) and notification toggle app is added. Really nice app, I fell in love with it. Buttons and colors are completely customizable, it is a bit tricky to set it up for the first time, but I am confident you will manage. My suggestion is that in the settings you set it as an on-going notification and as an old one - this is to ensure it to always be on top.

Oh, how I miss my ChaCha...

Cheers
    problem with ARABIC support please solve that

About that, I am not going to add anything in this rom. Everyone is invited to add and publish their own versions of this rom.

My phone is being repaired (it's been almost a month now, I'm going crazy). The letters p, a and enter were working only if I press them really hard and my memory card was losing contact a lot (when I put it on a table it was like I removed my sd and every time I needed to pull out a battery and reinsert my card which was really frustrating). So there will be no development for now, and definitely no development for this rom. I will publish a new rom based on 2.3.5 version when I get my phone back and hopefully it will support Arabic since many of you requested it.

Regards
    Thank you so much for the exceptionally quick response. Unfortunately I ran into an error. Let me walk you through what I did.

1. Dowloaded Sripped Rom, and all the files in the previous post.
    2. I unzipped the Rom on my desktop
    3. I inserted each of the files in their respective folders
    4. Zipped the Rom back up
    5. Transferred to SD
    6. Booted to Recovery mode and tried to flash.

Here is what I got ....

CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.7

-- Installing: /sdcard/Stripped-Chacha_1-3-3.zip
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Installing update ...
    Installation aborted.

That is weird. I just tested it, and it worked for me. Maybe you zipped it with high compression or sth. Try with normal compression. If that doesn't work, I will upload zip for you later today. I use recovery 5.0.2.8, but I don't think that it matters.

Edit: Here is the link - Link
    Looks noice :D

Is it faster/smoother than the stock rom? I would go back to the stock rom if it wasn't so hard to configure and it wasn't so damn sluggish compared to CM7/CM9.