(list) cm11 "apps safe to remove"

Search This thread

AnGrY sCoTsMaN

Nov 17, 2011
Fife
Hi All
I have been trying to slim my CM11, getting rid of unnecessary apps that i feel are taking up valuable space on my “mini”.
After hours of Google searches and many trial n error Rom flashes, I have came up with a comprehensive list of “apps” that are safe to remove". Some of my info was found on CM’s WIKI(that was based on cm10.1) page but most was down to laborious ROM flashing and testing.

***THIS CAN ALSO BE USED WITH OTHER CM BASED ROMS SUCH AS SLIMKAT,PAC-MAN, LUNGO ETC**

Most will know this BUT for those that don’t this is how i slim it down.

1. Download Rom
2. Extract the Rom
3. Delete All that you don’t want or need
4. Copy over your apk’s into the relevant folders
5. Highlight META-INF,System,Boot & File_contexts, Right click and send to zip
6. Copy your zip (renaming if you want) to phone and flash.

View attachment 2871025

**needs updating, removing some apps may cause other apps/process to fail up to build m7 **

Hope it Helps

HIT "THANKS" IF ITS HELPED, CHEERS

Last edited:

ranhaber

Oct 21, 2012
Hi All
I have been trying to slim my CM11, getting rid of unnecessary apps that i feel are taking up valuable space on my “mini”.
After hours of Google searches and many trial n error Rom flashes, I have came up with a comprehensive list of “apps” that are safe to remove". Some of my info was found on CM’s WIKI(that was based on cm10.1) page but most was down to laborious ROM flashing and testing.

Heres the Link to the List : https://mega.co.nz/#!14E1xBYC!Ui68P0lQd8VZia6JgBSBgQ6KmB-Ff5-2-R4sZ-Bmtac

1. Download cm11 Rom
2. Extract the Rom

Hope it Helps

Cheers

How much RAM and Flash did it saved you to removed all the apps you suggested?

AnGrY sCoTsMaN

Nov 17, 2011
Fife
I not suggesting to remove all of them, if you did you would have a pretty useless phone. Some of the ones I removed I replaced with other apps... Some of the other apps were larger in size, some were smaller. For example I removed appollo and replaced it with power amp.... No point having a second music app on my phone taking up space I will never use.

Last edited:

AnGrY sCoTsMaN

Nov 17, 2011
Fife
Thanks for the your feedback, it's appreciated. Yeah I really need to sit down and update this, as there are new apk's such as "cmhome" (amongst others) that I need to add. Was thinking about trying to make an aroma de-bloater for cm based roms... But... There hasn't been much response to this thread, albeit over 3900 views. Feel free to take the existing list, add or amend as you wish. Cheers

leap_ahead

Jul 2, 2009
hii thanks for this ..I want to ask what about theme provider.apk ? is not in your list pls help

AnGrY sCoTsMaN

Nov 17, 2011
Fife
hii thanks for this ..I want to ask what about theme provider.apk ? is not in your list pls help

as i mentioned earlier, i need to update the list. you can delete theme provider if your not bothered about changing theme, otherwise keep it!
the easiest way to slim it down is to remove some of the audio. eg ringtones, notifications etc. as most of them are crap and doubt you will use them. cheers

M8 brings several changes in the apps. I tested some stuff (updated M8 from M7) :

CMAccount.apk may cause problems (removed it, then added it again and going back to home was running first time assistant).
Lockclock.apk can't be removed anymore, it causes androidui error at boot (up to M7 it could be removed) because there's no way anymore to disable it. You can delete it, but at start there's at least one message box to close.

I removed lots of safe apps, but no way, I got random bugs :
Apollo, Basic Dreams, Browser, CellBroadcastReceiver, CMFileManager, CMWallpapers, DownloadProviderUI, DSPManager, Email, Exchange2, Galaxy4, LatinIME, Mms, PhaseBeam, VideoEditor, VoicePlus, WhisperPush.

I eventually went back to M7, it caused too many bugs for me (FC at start, random wallpaper errors, ...).
I think I'm going to build a M8 zip with all apks I don't want in a bak folder, add some GApps and some of my apps/data and flash from full wipe, I guess the M8 needs to regarding problems I have with...

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Oh, by the way I guess I may script a cleaner. It would be easier for me and I would share it with no problem.

Just make sure you've ADB, debugging enabled, USB cable and pop corn :D

ste22032

Dec 27, 2010
Como
Not had cm on my device in a while, but I believe cmhome is similar to Google now and it ties in with trebuchet. Try deleting it, shouldn't cause any problems.
Cheers

Sent from my One Mini using Tapatalk
Thank you, just deleted it, everything is ok. If it's for trebuchet is completely useless for me, i use Nova launcher ;)

Have a great day my friend!

AnGrY sCoTsMaN

Nov 17, 2011
Fife
DeskClock.Apk
LockClock.Apk
PrintSpooler.Apk
Stk.Apk

are safe to delete.
Yupp! But if you remove lockclock.Apk and deskclock.Apk you lose clock on homescreen and locksreen, I left them in as I think most folk use them. I also noticed if you replace them with 3rd party ones from play store they tend to have higher battery drain. Cheers

AsCi1

Mar 17, 2017
Very sorry to reawaken this thread.
It states "Move preferred apk to zip before flashing the rom." What do you mean by that?

I want to replace the stock keyboard & stock file manager,
so I just have to replace the LatinIME.apk & CMFileManager.apk with respective apks?

No need for changing the new-keyboard name to "LatinIME.apk"
or
Make any changes in the code, as in change the default code which points to LatinIME as the default and instead map it to new-keyboard,
Right?

Also, can I delete WAPPushManager, UserDictionaryProvider & CellBroadcastReceiver?
Sorry for the trouble.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All

***THIS CAN ALSO BE USED WITH OTHER CM BASED ROMS SUCH AS SLIMKAT,PAC-MAN, LUNGO ETC**

1. Download Rom
    2. Extract the Rom

View attachment 2871025

**needs updating, removing some apps may cause other apps/process to fail up to build m7 **

Hope it Helps

HIT "THANKS" IF ITS HELPED, CHEERS

as i mentioned earlier, i need to update the list. you can delete theme provider if your not bothered about changing theme, otherwise keep it!
    the easiest way to slim it down is to remove some of the audio. eg ringtones, notifications etc. as most of them are crap and doubt you will use them. cheers
    Thanks very much for that list, it's very interesting! I keep removing apps I don't use on CM, I hope I'll be able to help you enhance your file.
    That's sad, team Cyanogenmod should add their apps as a separate package, as some of us are trying to get a minimalistic Android to use with our favorite apps.
    Thanks for the your feedback, it's appreciated. Yeah I really need to sit down and update this, as there are new apk's such as "cmhome" (amongst others) that I need to add. Was thinking about trying to make an aroma de-bloater for cm based roms... But... There hasn't been much response to this thread, albeit over 3900 views. Feel free to take the existing list, add or amend as you wish. Cheers
    Hi guys, what about CM home.apk in /system/priv-app? What is it and it's safe to remove?
    Not had cm on my device in a while, but I believe cmhome is similar to Google now and it ties in with trebuchet. Try deleting it, shouldn't cause any problems.
    Cheers