[Q] Heart Rate Monitor doesn't work on dark skin

Search This thread

Tek12x

Jan 23, 2008
Has anyone heard of this or have test to see if it's true? I want to get a G2n but I've read that that the heart rate monitor doesn't work on dark skin and that Samsung is aware of this.

Jan 21, 2014
Has anyone heard of this or have test to see if it's true? I want to get a G2n but I've read that that the heart rate monitor doesn't work on dark skin and that Samsung is aware of this.

Give the heart rate monitor app in the play store a try, it uses your camera flash and the camera to record pulse. Should be similar. Also, at&t stores have floor models for you to try out! :)

TopDogg1

Aug 14, 2008
Mines works....and I'm a black man! I'm just saying

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

thesparky007

Oct 15, 2008
Mine is very hit and miss... Takes five to six tries to get a reading

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

SixReasons

Jul 5, 2010
NC
www.YaBoyMartell.com
Same problem

My Gear 2 DOES NOT WORK, I have exchanged 2 of them. I'm not even that dark. I'm a good brown and it works 0 percent of the time... I see a class action lawsuit in Samsung future (or a simple software update).. for a item that does not work as advertised.

Last edited:

BigDanInTX

May 19, 2009
League City, TX
My hear 2 DO NOT WORK I have exchanged 2 of them. I'm not even that dark. I'm a good brown and it works 0 percent of the time... I see a class action lawsuit in samsungs future.. for a item that does not work as advertised.

It is far from an exact science. Shine light into skin, measure the time between changes of color, calculate.

It also will not be the only heart rate option out there. It's stock software used to enhance the product. The real power comes with the installed apps.

I'm sure it's more of a software thing than a hardware thing, especially if you've already taken two of them back. Either wait for a new heart rate app or try and roll your own.

If you purchased the watch specifically for the heart rate capabilities, you may want to return it and wait until the product has had time to mature.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:

Tek12x

Jan 23, 2008
Thanks everyone for your feed back. I ended up getting the G2N and it works on my lite skin. This smartwatch is amazing. True happy with my purchase.

diamantericos

Jan 2, 2011
I have same issue. But don't really mind its not a feature I plan to use a lot or at all. Funny as I'm in the health field.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

diamantericos

Jan 2, 2011
I had that issue then though when I check someone s pulse I check from bottom wrist . So I turned watch on the palm side of my hand and bam worked no issue

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app