Where to go next with the LG G2 and why?

Search This thread

cgedansk

Jun 23, 2014
I could use some advice as to what to do next with my LG G2…

Battery life on the G2 was always exceptional since day one, and I could count on some pretty decent 4G LTE coverage. When KitKat came down, it seems to get even better. I could run ALL my radios (voice, data, WiFi, BlueTooth, and Location ) simultaneously, never have to check my power settings, and easily get 18-26 hours at the low end, and up to 37 hours on a single charge, at the high end. Even with my Pebble Smartwatch receiving updates all day.

Then Sprint visited the Spark update upon us, and it has been downhill ever since. In my home area alone, there are 3 totally different towers. One 3G, one 4g LTE and one Spark tower, and none talk to each other. My entire city has gone from some notable 4g LTE coverage to VERY sparse LTE coverage (mostly 3g or nothing). My battery life is only good if I turn all my radios off, and any time I am actively using my device, I am burning power at a seemingly exponential rate. Now my battery life is down to 13-15 hours on a single charge. Maybe 16 at the high end.

And, to add insult to injury, mine is one of the devices that has lost the knock on function as a result of the Spark update.

So, my questions are this…

I have heard I can use my MSL to turn off two of the frequencies and restore my OLD LTE capability, to maybe improve my service. Is this true?
What is the current way to get the MSL? Sprint has flat out refused to give it to me.
Since a key LG function (knock on) is gone, I’m not sure I care if I keep the rest. Are there other ROMS worth considering?
Do any of them improve battery life, voice and data connectivity or both?
Do any of them allow for a “Roam Only” option, as used to exist with Sprint phones, moons ago? I could at least count on better voice if I roamed on Verizon. And, frankly, if they dumped me for it, that would be no big deal.
I am currently running stock, unrooted. Is there REALLY a built in root counter that tells LG how many times I have rooted, so my warranty gets voided?
If it’s safe to root, what are the best, easiest methods? And, again, what ROMs work best with the G2?

Thanks to all for your time and patience.

sharkboy0901

Jun 15, 2011
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I am stock unrooted latest update with spark and easily get 30+ bat life. Today I got my longest at 50 hours with 5 hour screen time.

And there are other ways to get msl something like http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2521276

But yea I hear disabling the two frequencies have helped some people so I would say try it.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

cgedansk

Jun 23, 2014
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I am stock unrooted latest update with spark and easily get 30+ bat life. Today I got my longest at 50 hours with 5 hour screen time.

And there are other ways to get msl something like http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2521276

But yea I hear disabling the two frequencies have helped some people so I would say try it.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using XDA Free mobile app

Thanks for your reply, and I really wish I was still in that boat. Unfortunately, the standard "## whatever#" option doesn't work at all with the Sprint G2 running KitKat and Spark. I will have to try the tethered option, but I have to wait to use my wife's work laptop because I have a Mac.

VERY frustrating that there isn't just a new code I could just key in.

Will keep trying,

sand1303

Dec 22, 2007
wish i had an answer for you, i am updated to latest radio rooted and my average speed tests are good 25-30 whenever i run it. i have heard a lot of people saying the spark update ruined there phone

jcwxguy

Mar 22, 2011
just so you know, you can be on a voice call and use your data at the same time UNLESS your connected to wifi also. This has always been the case since day 1 for ANY TRIBAND phone with sprint.

lurtis

Apr 14, 2012
I am not sure about a root counter. I will say it was deliciously easy to root my stock ZVC phone. The method I used took all of 2 minutes literally.

First I downloaded towelroot ( https://towelroot.com/ ) to my phone. Installed and ran.
Boom. Now I had root. Installed SuperSU from the play store to manage root permissions. Then got autoprime's autorec from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2715496 installed that to phone and boom had twrp recovery. Made a backup of my stock rooted system did an advanced wipe of everything but internal storage...installed the ZV8 radio and then CM11. knock on even works, and mine WAS broken as well

Sent from my LG-LS980

official.xian

Jul 4, 2014
Bangor, ME
www.abbygrant.com
As far as getting your MSL is concerned, if you have an old phone kicking around (or even just an old MEID) head over to sprint.com/activate and switch the line to that MEID, then activate your G2 again. When you go through their online activation procedure, they automatically give you your MSL, Phone #, ICCID, MEID, etc. on the confirmation page and on the email they send you. If you need an MEID I have one off my old Google Nexus S that drowned last month.

newtekz

Oct 13, 2011
Did you disabling the other radios? Can you provide an update and let me know if it did improve the battery life?