Where is Bengalih? (Answer In Last Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Tayton

Jan 15, 2008
Vancouver
Fantastic Article Bengalih!

One added request. It would be great to include, perhaps in a text attachment, ms voice command's list of progam files and registry entries.
Seperate by the two primary versions for 1.6.
The information would invaluable for cooks to go back into a clean rom and clean out left over files and registry entries or allow them to strip the full version out if they wish to upgrade it or leave it out entirely.
Left over files/reg entries may as you know cause issues when adding or upgrading the ms voice.

crussell

Mar 30, 2006
HB, CA
Cancel VC announcement while In progress?

Bengalih, Great write up!

Is there a way that you know of to cancel VC's announcement mid stream? That is to say, there are times when VC will start to announce an email, or read SMS while I am on a call and I would like a way to shut it up quickly. It is terrible when you are on the phone with client A and your phone starts to announce a call from client B, or even worse sitting quietly on a conference call and it starts reading an SMS... Some how this always bleeds through my BT headset so the person I am on the phone with hears it.

Thanks!

crussell

bengalih

Aug 16, 2007
Chicago, IL
Bengalih, Great write up!
Is there a way that you know of to cancel VC's announcement mid stream? That is to say, there are times when VC will start to announce an email, or read SMS while I am on a call and I would like a way to shut it up quickly. It is terrible when you are on the phone with client A and your phone starts to announce a call from client B, or even worse sitting quietly on a conference call and it starts reading an SMS... Some how this always bleeds through my BT headset so the person I am on the phone with hears it.

crussell. Thanks for the vote of support. Unfortunately the issue you describe plagues me as well. I don't think there is anything wrong with the software and by this I mean it isn't a bug, just something the developers didn't think through very well.

There are only two ways to stop the incoming announcements:
  1. Turn them off
  2. Check the box in Notifications that says "Only during free time"

What this box means is that if you have an appointment in your calendar that sets your free/busy disposition to "busy" then announcements will not come through.

However, if you get an incoming call you will still get the call waiting beeps which can be just as distracting (if anyone knows how to turn these off please let me know...they are unrelated to MSVC).

So, if you know you are going to be on an important call you can first go into your calendar and make an appointment and set your time to busy.

The only solution I can see, short of a new version which takes these things into account is if someone can figure out how to fool the system into thinking your time is "busy". I don't know if MSVC looks for a registry flag or if there is a free/busy connector (API) that it taps into. If someone could make a little app that would toggle free/busy time that would be fantastic. Unfortunately I cannot code for WM to this degree.

bengalih

Aug 16, 2007
Chicago, IL
AHA!

I take back what I said...at least the part of me not knowing how to fix it :D

There does indeed appear to be a registry location that records your current free/busy status.

I have written another script tool which will perform a toggle of your free/busy status effectively turning off any incoming announcements when toggled off.

Check it out here

Last edited:

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
ROM: 1.62.502.0 (ATT Tilt Shipped ROM)
MSVC Version: 1.6.17913
Bluetooth Headset: Motorola 89199N
Description:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I've stopped using MSVC on my Tilt via Bluetooth because 3 of 3 times I've messed with this (getting battery status, call person, etc type commands) I've found later that the phone won't dial out or receive calls anymore! First two times it happened I was a bit puzzled, but the third time it clicked that it only happened sometime after initiating a call or such via MSVC with Bluetooth.

Anyone else noticed this? I find it odd that it'd freeze up the phone portion of the Tilt, but it does 100% of the time for me. IIRC, hitting the Green button shows the Phone titlebar and menus but the screen itself never draws. I can hit the OK button to get back to the Today screen, and the Phone app is listed in the list of applications running I believe, but it won't die and won't work until I do a reset.

I installed MSVC from a CAB here on this forum, and it generally works but this problem with bluetooth is pretty annoying as the main reason I wanted to get the program is to do bluetooth commands for dialing.

The more I think about it, it's possible that using the bluetooth commands then doing "run command suspend" (I think that's the syntax, it's been a few weeks since I tried it last) to turn off the Tilt immediately might also cause it problems. I was doing that because otherwise it stays on for quite a while, when it seems to me it should turn itself off fairly quickly.

I'll try your new version and edit-back :)

Last edited:

bengalih

Aug 16, 2007
Chicago, IL
I have never experienced this issue with MSVC. I have tried it out successfully on at least half a dozen ROMS.

Although I am not intimately familiar with the inner working of code in either MSVC or WM in general, I don't know really know how this could interfere.

Other reported issues with MSVC involve:
  • Audio gateway being left open
  • Radio going dead

I'm also not sure how MSVC could interfere with the radio....

My first thought is Don't Blame MSVC!

I say this since I (and many other's) haven't had problems with it...it obviously is a program that CAN function properly.

If you are using a cooked ROM that has MSVC built-in or you are installing it from scratch, read through this whole guide and make sure you understand and update/tweak your copy.

I would recommend installing the latest version I have posted 1.6.19290 as I have already had reports of this clearing up some people's issue.

When posting problems regarding MSVC in the future, please refer to the main thread posts, where I will detail the information you should provide.

Let me know what you come up with!

porschefan

Feb 14, 2006
I've got an issue I can't find an answer to. I have MSVC installed on my Tilt and it worked fine up until about a week ago. Since then I can initiate MSVC via my bluetooth headset but get no audio for the prompts (i.e. the ding to tell me it's ready for input, the audio confirmation for who to call).

Also, notifications stopped working via bluetooth. I've checked all the settings and everything is fine, they're exactly as they were when VC was working properly. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and deleting and repairing my headset. Nothing seems to work.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.