[HOW TO] How to Flash a New ROM & Install all APPS in 10 Minutes …

Search This thread
How would you feel if you could make a Nandroid backup, wipe your device clean, flash a new ROM, restore all your personal apps (with settings, SMS messages, and call log intact), all in about 10 minutes?

Too good to be true? After all, you probably remember what they say about things that sound too good to be true. Normally you shouldn’t believe it. In this case, though, it’s real, and it works! Many people in the DIET ICS ROM thread have already tried it, with amazing success.

As always, there’s a caveat. You perform the following procedures at your own risk. I will not be held responsible for any damage, frustration, anger, sadness, or suicides that may result from your decision to implement this process.

CAUTION: This method of data recovery will work under a wide variety of situations; however, you must consider the following:

1) When going from a stock or stock-based ROM to another stock or stock-based ROM, this method should work very well. It doesn’t matter if it’s the same ROM as long as both are based on a stock ROM.

2) When going from a stock or stock-based ROM to an AOSP-based ROM, such as CM or AOKP, this method may/will not work. Similarly, when going from an AOSP-based ROM to a stock or stock-based ROM, this method may/will not work.

Use common sense, and always follow instructions provided by the ROM Developer.

This method also removes any concern as to whether or not you need to wipe because the process involves doing a full wipe, which only adds about 30 seconds to the procedure.

Here we go …

1. Boot into Recovery
2. Make a Nandroid backup
3. Wipe data/factory reset
4. Wipe cache partition
5. Wipe Dalvik Cache
6. Flash ROM
7. DO NOT REBOOT – STAY IN RECOVERY
8. Select backup and restore
9. Select advanced restore
10. Select the Nandroid backup you made above
11. Select Restore data
12. Select Yes – Restore data
13. WAIT!
14. REBOOT

If all goes according to plan, you will arrive at your home screen with all apps in place, and with all settings intact, including stored text messages, and your call log.

Shockingly easy, isn’t it? After all, it is ALWAYS suggested that you do a Nandroid before you flash any new ROM, so this procedure will ALWAYS have you completely up-to-date.

Okay, you can hit the thanks button now. ;)

Peter
(formerly PeterHTC)

Last edited:

lessthanzach

May 23, 2008
Redding, CA
How would you feel if you could make a Nandroid backup, wipe your device clean, flash a new ROM, restore all your personal apps (with settings, SMS messages, and call log intact), all in about 10 minutes?

Too good to be true? After all, you probably remember what they say about things that sound too good to be true. Normally you shouldn’t believe it. In this case, though, it’s real, and it works! Many people in the DIET ICS ROM thread have already tried it, with amazing success.

As always, there’s a caveat. You perform the following procedures at your own risk. I will not be held responsible for any damage, frustration, anger, sadness, or suicides that may result from your decision to implement this process.

This method works “perfectly” if you’re upgrading an existing ROM. However, I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work equally well even if you’re coming from another ROM. Either way, use common sense, and always follow instructions provided by the ROM Developer.

This method also removes any concern whether or not you need to wipe because the process involves doing a full wipe, which only adds about 30 seconds to the procedure.

Here we go …

1.Boot into Recovery
2.Make a Nandroid backup
3.Wipe data/factory reset
4.Wipe cache partition
5.Wipe Dalvik Cache
6.Flash ROM
7.DO NOT REBOOT – STAY IN RECOVERY
8.Select backup and restore
9.Select advanced restore
10.Select the Nandroid backup you made above
11.Select Restore data
12.Select Yes – Restore data
13.WAIT!
14.REBOOT

If all goes according to plan, you will arrive at your home screen with all apps in place, and with all settings intact, including stored text messages, and your call log.

Shockingly easy, isn’t it? After all, it is ALWAYS suggested that you do a Nandroid before you flash any new ROM, so this procedure will ALWAYS have you completely up-to-date.

Peter
(formerly PeterHTC)

Good to see you here from the one x. I'm glad to be back on Sammy. One x just had too many bugs for me and no memory card was a deal breaker.
This tutorial seems legit, I'm just concerned that doing this could overwrite mods the rom developer implements and cause issues. Any response to that concern?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

RubenRybnik

Jan 6, 2012
Cary, NC
Usually use Titanium Backup myself, so I can selectively select which apps to restore with data. If you're going from a stock based ROM( stock modified ) to AOSP ( CM, AOKP, or any of their kangs ) then I don't think I'd recommend this shotgun method of restoring. However Stock -> Stock this is very fast and shouldn't cause any issues.

About mods, not sure, most mods are going to be in /system so those should be fine, however anything themed will be overwritten I believe. ( CWM wipes and restores, not an additive restore correct? )

Reactions: lessthanzach
I completely agree ...

Usually use Titanium Backup myself, so I can selectively select which apps to restore with data. If you're going from a stock based ROM( stock modified ) to AOSP ( CM, AOKP, or any of their kangs ) then I don't think I'd recommend this shotgun method of restoring. However Stock -> Stock this is very fast and shouldn't cause any issues.

Yes, Titanium has the advantage of allowing you to selectively restore apps, etc.

About mods, not sure, most mods are going to be in /system so those should be fine, however anything themed will be overwritten I believe. ( CWM wipes and restores, not an additive restore correct? )

I completely agree. If you're sticking with a stock-based ROM, or up-dating almost ANY existing ROM, then this method should work just fine; however, like you said, I would not recommend it if going from stock to AOSP, or vice versa.

I would also agree concerning the mods, which are almost always in /system, and aren't the theme files anywhere BUT in the data folder? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Peter

Reactions: lungfujinshin
Same here ...

Good to see you here from the one x. I'm glad to be back on Sammy. One x just had too many bugs for me and no memory card was a deal breaker.
This tutorial seems legit, I'm just concerned that doing this could overwrite mods the rom developer implements and cause issues. Any response to that concern?

I would have to agree. I had far too many little glitches with my ONE X and ONE XL that were just too annoying. So far I could not be happier with the S3.

Peter

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Good tip, Peter. I never knew about that one and it will come in handy for me!

Am I the only one who also formats /system in Recovery?

Yze

Feb 2, 2006
thank you for this! im jumping from stock to diet ics and this tip helped a lot.

im also coming from about a months use of HTC One X. its only been one day with this sg3 and i already prefer it over the htc one x.

P8TRIOT

Nov 25, 2010
California "the Left Coast"
Is ROM Manager still advisable or did Koush move on and it is an abandoned project like some of the reviews suggest in the Google Play store? I used to use this to flash and manage my NANDROID's and it was super easy.

lessthanzach

May 23, 2008
Redding, CA
Is ROM Manager still advisable or did Koush move on and it is an abandoned project like some of the reviews suggest in the Google Play store? I used to use this to flash and manage my NANDROID's and it was super easy.

I just used his Rom manager to flash the AT&T recovery and it works great.

Reactions: Mr_Grey

P8TRIOT

Nov 25, 2010
California "the Left Coast"

This method works “perfectly” if you’re upgrading an existing ROM. However, I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work equally well even if you’re coming from another ROM. Either way, use common sense, and always follow instructions provided by the ROM Developer.

This method also removes any concern whether or not you need to wipe because the process involves doing a full wipe, which only adds about 30 seconds to the procedure.

Here we go …

1. Boot into Recovery
4. Wipe cache partition
5. Wipe Dalvik Cache
6. Flash ROM
11. Select Restore data
13. WAIT!
14. REBOOT

Peter
(formerly PeterHTC)

When I had my old Droid X2 (MB870), this is the method I used all the time, and it was very simple and straightforward, if I am understanding you correctly, this method is conditional in that you have to be coming from an existing flashed ROM? So for instance I just rooted yesterday through Odin but am still on stock, this method wouldn't work for me? It would be awesome if this could be utilized universally for what ever (rooted state), is this in fact the case or what exactly is the specific condition if any?

I will be adding a cautionary note to the first post ...

When I had my old Droid X2 (MB870), this is the method I used all the time, and it was very simple and straightforward, if I am understanding you correctly, this method is conditional in that you have to be coming from an existing flashed ROM? So for instance I just rooted yesterday through Odin but am still on stock, this method wouldn't work for me? It would be awesome if this could be utilized universally for what ever (rooted state), is this in fact the case or what exactly is the specific condition if any?

Although this will work under many different circumstances, there are a few very important restrictions, which I will add to the first post in a few minutes.

Peter

dahlem

Sep 12, 2007
Houston
Not to with this but there is a software update be AT&T if installed will it take away root?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Carrier up-dates may be disabled ...

Not to with this but there is a software update be AT&T if installed will it take away root?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Although I would like someone to confirm this, it is my belief that, if you root your device, then software up-dates from the carrier no longer work.

Peter

hkeyman

Nov 11, 2006
Ventura, Ca.
This works fine with ApOcAlYpSe 7_10_12 ROM

This method I can confirm works perfectly with the ApOcAlYpSe 7_10_12 ROM by smartguy044. I installed the Rom and restored everything from a previous stock setup that I did a nandroid of right before flashing. From start to finish the whole process took me less than the 10min as advertised. Just thought I would share just in case anyone was on the fence or concerned about using this with the ApOcAlYpSe 7_10_12 ROM. ;)

Thank you for the confirmation ...

This method I can confirm works perfectly with the ApOcAlYpSe 7_10_12 ROM by smartguy044. I installed the Rom and restored everything from a previous stock setup that I did a nandroid of right before flashing. From start to finish the whole process took me less than the 10min as advertised. Just thought I would share just in case anyone was on the fence or concerned about using this with the ApOcAlYpSe 7_10_12 ROM. ;)

Thank you for the confirmation.

I hope this helps those who are afraid to flash new ROMs because the entire process (from Nandroid to installing all apps and re-establishing settings), can take hours. I never really trusted Titanium, even though many do, so before hearing about this method, it would take me anywhere from 2-6 hours to get my device back to exactly how I want it, with all settings re-established. Flashing and installing apps wasn't the issue, which took me less than an hour. It's opening every single app and adjusting the settings that often took hours.

Peter

Last edited:

wgarrido

Feb 22, 2007
Monterey, CA
www.mobilewill.us
You really don't have to worry about restoring data if you flash a ROM that doesn't format the data partition. I have found that some/most don't wipe data. So you can just flash the ROM and reboot and go on your way. Of course do make a backup just in case.

I use TiBu 100% of the time. Never had it not work.

hkeyman

Nov 11, 2006
Ventura, Ca.
You really don't have to worry about restoring data if you flash a ROM that doesn't format the data partition. I have found that some/most don't wipe data. So you can just flash the ROM and reboot and go on your way. Of course do make a backup just in case.

I use TiBu 100% of the time. Never had it not work.

You are correct in your suggestion "If" the Rom installed does not wipe or format the data. This is obviously a alternate, fast method for restoration of user data if needed in a pinch or just as a normal way of getting your configuration and apps back to the way you had them configured previously (either stock or on another similar installed ROM).

I am not sure what you meant by you use TiBu and not have it work? When restoring from TiBu you should always just restore missings Apps with Data and avoid anything System related as it would most likely overwrite anything that a ROM customization may have just installed and will cause issues whether minor or even serious. I would suggest only messing with system restore items if you absolutely know what you are doing. That aside I agree with Peter as TiBu as good as a backup as it is, its time consuming...but its another precautionary backup method needed as a just in case.

wgarrido

Feb 22, 2007
Monterey, CA
www.mobilewill.us
You are correct in your suggestion "If" the Rom installed does not wipe or format the data. This is obviously a alternate, fast method for restoration of user data if needed in a pinch or just as a normal way of getting your configuration and apps back to the way you had them configured previously (either stock or on another similar installed ROM).

I am not sure what you meant by you use TiBu and not have it work? When restoring from TiBu you should always just restore missings Apps with Data and avoid anything System related as it would most likely overwrite anything that a ROM customization may have just installed and will cause issues whether minor or even serious. I would suggest only messing with system restore items if you absolutely know what you are doing. That aside I agree with Peter as TiBu as good as a backup as it is, its time consuming...but its another precautionary backup method needed as a just in case.

I was just saying that TiBu hasn't lost data or anything. I know about restoring system data. I have gotten away with restoring some of it in the past.

I haven't heard anything from Rogers, either ...

OTA's should work with root as long as you are on stock and haven't altered your build.prop. On that note, I haven't heard anything about a Rogers update?

I haven't heard anything from Rogers regarding an up-date, either.

And thank you for answering the OTA question.

Peter

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

CAUTION: This method of data recovery will work under a wide variety of situations; however, you must consider the following:

1) When going from a stock or stock-based ROM to another stock or stock-based ROM, this method should work very well. It doesn’t matter if it’s the same ROM as long as both are based on a stock ROM.

2) When going from a stock or stock-based ROM to an AOSP-based ROM, such as CM or AOKP, this method may/will not work. Similarly, when going from an AOSP-based ROM to a stock or stock-based ROM, this method may/will not work.

Use common sense, and always follow instructions provided by the ROM Developer.

This method also removes any concern as to whether or not you need to wipe because the process involves doing a full wipe, which only adds about 30 seconds to the procedure.

Here we go …

1. Boot into Recovery
    4. Wipe cache partition
    5. Wipe Dalvik Cache
    6. Flash ROM
    11. Select Restore data
    13. WAIT!
    14. REBOOT

Peter
    (formerly PeterHTC)

Here we go …

1.Boot into Recovery
    2.Make a Nandroid backup
    3.Wipe data/factory reset
    4.Wipe cache partition
    5.Wipe Dalvik Cache
    6.Flash ROM
    7.DO NOT REBOOT – STAY IN RECOVERY
    8.Select backup and restore
    9.Select advanced restore
    10.Select the Nandroid backup you made above
    11.Select Restore data
    12.Select Yes – Restore data
    13.WAIT!
    14.REBOOT

Peter
    (formerly PeterHTC)

Aha ... very easy question to answer ...

Ok so noob question here, I have a ROM flashed now and my phone where I like it, If I want to try a new ROM and then restore why wouldn't it restore the old ROM? I thought that was the point of making the backup? maybe I just have never done the advanced restore and that's where the difference is.

Questions are good. Without them, we can't have answers, right?

If you've never used Advanced Restore, you'll be surprised at the options available to you. For example, when you do a complete Nandroid backup, you are actually backing up the following partitions separately (you could call them mini-Nandroids):

SYSTEM (ROM files located here)
    DATA (Downloaded and Installed apps located here)
    BOOT (Boot image ... no need to worry about this one)
    RECOVERY (your current method of recovery ... no need to worry about this one)
    CACHE (Cache files ... no need to worry about this one)

When you go into Advanced Restore, you are presented with the option to select whichever one of the above you want. So, in my OP, you would ONLY select the DATA partition. This would maintain your new ROM files, yet re-install all files that were previously in your root DATA folder.

Does this answer your question?

Peter
    This works fine with ApOcAlYpSe 7_10_12 ROM

Here we go …

1. Boot into Recovery
    4. Wipe cache partition
    5. Wipe Dalvik Cache
    6. Flash ROM
    11. Select Restore data
    13. WAIT!
    14. REBOOT

Peter
    (formerly PeterHTC)