[Q] Trying to find System\app folder on pc

Search This thread

davelinc

Nov 18, 2012
I made the stupid mistake of trying to run the next launcher. Put it into the system app folder and changed permissions but now I constantly get a 'next launcher has stopped working' message which has made my kindle unusable. I connected my device to my PC in the hope of navigating to the system\app folder and deleting the next launcher that way. However when I connect and go into storage I cannot find the folder. I've tried showing hidden folders but I still can't find it. I know there must be a way to navigate to the system\app but I've had no luck so far. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
I made the stupid mistake of trying to run the next launcher. Put it into the system app folder and changed permissions but now I constantly get a 'next launcher has stopped working' message which has made my kindle unusable. I connected my device to my PC in the hope of navigating to the system\app folder and deleting the next launcher that way. However when I connect and go into storage I cannot find the folder. I've tried showing hidden folders but I still can't find it. I know there must be a way to navigate to the system\app but I've had no luck so far. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

Is adb recognizing the device? If so you can use adb to delete the apk. You can't navigate to the system files from pc any other way.
Here are the commands:
Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/stl5 /system
rm -r /system/app/[AppName].apk 
mount -o remount,ro -t rfs /dev/stl5 /system
You must know the exact name of the apk and insert in the command above where it says [AppName].
To get a list of the AppNames on the device:
Code:
cd /system/app
ls *.apk

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
ES File Explorer

If you do not have the Android SDK Installed:http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Then download ES File Explorer from here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/ES%20File%20Explorer_1.6.2.1.apk

If I understand you correctly, you are able to use the Kindle, correct?

Be sure you have Root Permissions: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069117

If you can not access the Kindle directly, use onemeila method.

Perform the above download directly from your Kindle using Silk , Opera or Dolphin.

Once the download has completed, choose "Open" to install.

Complete the install of ES File Explorer, then Open ES File Explorer directly

after the install or through the Kindles /Apps/

Once ES File Explorer is open, the go to the Settings, choose Root

Settings. Check every box. Then you will be presented with a Superuser

dialog box. Be sure to click on Allow. Then go back to the main ES File

Explorer Screen. You will notice at the top, it shows where you are in

the file system. By default ES File Explorer open to /sdcard/ so

You need to click UP. This will place you at the Root / - next

Click on the System folder, next the App folder. Long press

whatever file you would like to delete and choose "Delete" or

"Move" to Move the file to another location. Just FYI you

will find that most of the programs reside in /data/apps.

I suspect Next Launcher is in the /data/apps folder.

If none of this works, PM us, we will get you back online.

We offer free phone support to everyone in the XDA

Community.

ariks2012

Feb 1, 2013
If you do not have the Android SDK Installed:http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Then download ES File Explorer from here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/ES%20File%20Explorer_1.6.2.1.apk

If I understand you correctly, you are able to use the Kindle, correct?

Be sure you have Root Permissions: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069117

If you can not access the Kindle directly, use onemeila method.

Perform the above download directly from your Kindle using Silk , Opera or Dolphin.

Once the download has completed, choose "Open" to install.

Complete the install of ES File Explorer, then Open ES File Explorer directly

after the install or through the Kindles /Apps/

Once ES File Explorer is open, the go to the Settings, choose Root

Settings. Check every box. Then you will be presented with a Superuser

dialog box. Be sure to click on Allow. Then go back to the main ES File

Explorer Screen. You will notice at the top, it shows where you are in

the file system. By default ES File Explorer open to /sdcard/ so

You need to click UP. This will place you at the Root / - next

Click on the System folder, next the App folder. Long press

whatever file you would like to delete and choose "Delete" or

"Move" to Move the file to another location. Just FYI you

will find that most of the programs reside in /data/apps.

I suspect Next Launcher is in the /data/apps folder.

If none of this works, PM us, we will get you back online.

We offer free phone support to everyone in the XDA

Community.

iI'm haviing the same problem with my KF8.9 , and that not working sir, i deleted in both system/app and data/app....and it still showing up

Should i run a factory reset, if yes, can u tell me how? and may that harm my kindle fire

Hinzman420

Oct 28, 2010
You could factory reset but your gonna have to reroot. Factory reset is in your kindle menu under device. No it should not hurt your kindle.

Sent From My Rooted Kindle HD 7"

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
[BACKUP][RECOVERY] Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Version

iI'm haviing the same problem with my KF8.9 , and that not working sir, i deleted in both system/app and data/app....and it still showing up

Should i run a factory reset, if yes, can u tell me how? and may that harm my kindle fire

ariks2012,

What is your exact problem? Have you lost the entire contents of the /data/app folder and the /system/app folder? If yes, a Factory Reset will not resolve the problem, we recommend using our Backup and Recovery tool Kindle Fire First Aide:

drive.png
[BACKUP][RECOVERY] Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Version

The above too will completely reset your Kindle and install Factory Fresh Software.