Nexus 5 on no data / low data plan.

Search This thread

brooksyx

Jan 31, 2011
Vancouver, WA
Anyone here use their Nexus 5 on a prepaid cellphone plan that has no data or low data?

I am thinking about switching over to h2o's Unlimited Talk, Text and 500mb plan to save money and become less dependent on my cell phone. I find myself using about 5 GBS a month on straight talk but its nothing productive, just downloading the latest roms or downloading an app only to delete a few minutes later or checking facebook. I think I could get by fine just using wifi and then the 500MB to check email or use my GPS.

Thoughts?

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Anyone here use their Nexus 5 on a prepaid cellphone plan that has no data or low data?

I am thinking about switching over to h2o's Unlimited Talk, Text and 500mb plan to save money and become less dependent on my cell phone. I find myself using about 5 GBS a month on straight talk but its nothing productive, just downloading the latest roms or downloading an app only to delete a few minutes later or checking facebook. I think I could get by fine just using wifi and then the 500MB to check email or use my GPS.

Thoughts?

No disrespect but try to find a hobby, its just a phone :)

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
I see no point in posting just to post. ;)

But going off your post count and the lack of relation to the thread in your posts, you would disagree... Maybe you should get a hobby :p

Oke, lets call you the winner, i don`t argue to argue. You posted to get feedback and now you don`t like what i`am saying you make it personal. Good day bro :)

H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

Hi,
Sorry but... Hobby can be phones, it depends of your point. Maybe because you are on stock non rooted (as I read if I'm not wrong) doesn't mean other users do not have their phones to test kernels, roms, tweak their phone as a hobby.

True, but me personaly is see no point in flashing just to flash ;)
For testing purposes?

Like you download an app just to see or to test, you can download a rom and flash it to test, right?

:)

That being said, for the OP, not sure a low data plan will make you less "dependent" (maybe good for money), if you have access to wifi? You can always download all the last roms via wifi :D

It will depend of your real use apart downloading rom, maybe it will be enough with only GPS (again it depends the frequency of use, GPS can be a huge consumer of data ) and email...

Last edited:

brooksyx

Jan 31, 2011
Vancouver, WA
Oke, lets call you the winner, i don`t argue to argue. You posted to get feedback and now you don`t like what i`am saying you make it personal. Good day bro :)

But you didn't post relevant feedback at all. You meant complete offense and said I have no life just because I was asking about thoughts on switching to a lower costing phone plan. I don't see how that has anything to do with me having a life or not.

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
But you didn't post relevant feedback at all. You meant complete offense and said I have no life just because I was asking about thoughts on switching to a lower costing phone plan. I don't see how that has anything to do with me having a life or not.

You stated in your OP that you think you download and flash too much and you want to cutdown on your plan. If you download 5GB of data and its usefull its fine, but if you delete most of it its a waste of time. It was not my intention to say you have no life, as i don`t know you :) Lets keep it at this, i never attack or judge users, you can read all my posts if you want.

Last edited:

brooksyx

Jan 31, 2011
Vancouver, WA
That being said, for the OP, not sure a low data plan will make you less "dependent", if you have access to wifi? You can always download all the last roms via wifi :D

It will depend of your real use apart downloading rom, maybe it will be enough with only GPS (again it depends the frequency of use) and email...

I mean dependent in terms of using the phone when I am out in about in public where wifi isnt available. I have no guilt about using my phone when I am sitting at home on the couch watching TV but it will deter the urge to browse the web when I am out with friends or something.

brooksyx

Jan 31, 2011
Vancouver, WA
You stated in your OP that you think you download and flash too much and you want to cutdown on your plan. If you download 5GB of data and its usefull its fine, but if you delete most of it its a waste of time. It was not my intention to say you have no life, as i don`t know you :) Lets keep it at this, i never attack or judge users, you can read all my posts if you want.

Telling someone they need to find a hobby usually implies that you think someone doesn't have a life.

PS it takes literally 5 minutes to download and flash the latest nightly of cyanogemod. I am not downloading a miillion different roms each month. Just staying up to date.

edit: also and saying "no offense" before saying something offensive isn't a hall pass to say something rude.

Reactions: bblzd and musmus46

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Only issue I can think of is that most of the Google Now voice commands seem to require an internet connection to work.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

V.Dragos

Dec 27, 2011
Timisoara
I am also on a limited data plan (400mb /mo) and find it kind of limiting. What i use is DS battery saver which turns off your data while your screen is off and turns it on every 30/45/60min for updates. It saves me some data and some battery so it's a win/win for me. I tend to limit my data navigation to mail/facebook and messaging apps and keep the cat gifs/videos for wifi/pc.
Another app you can try is onovo extend (it compresses the internet traffic trough their servers) but i found it a bit fiddly (never know if it's working or not and need to check it constantly) and i suspect it interferes with some apps (had a problem with my maps app but dont quote me on that).
Opera browser also compresses traffic for reduced data use.

Other than this, only your common sense and self control can bring your data use down. Being prepaid can't you buy more data anytime if you need it ?

barry_

Feb 2, 2011
St Asaph

Thoughts?

I don't download much but still using 2gb a month - maybe go for 3 gig and see how that goes? 500mb is nothing nowadays.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I think unless you actually turn the data off, you'd struggle to stay under a 500GB a month allowance. Having seen what mine does on a day when I Fine really use it, id be concerned. You'd definitely need to tweak your sync settings and/or turn off data. Possibily even use opera browser or similar to compress your web pages.

Managing that plan sounds like too much of a chore

3DSammy

May 5, 2011
Toronto
I have a voice and text only plan using WiFi when I need the type of downloads you describe. If I want to watch videos or listen to Music I carry a Meenova OTG micoSD card reader (check the N5 accessories section) and preload the files I need. I consider most of the data plans to be a huge consumer ripoff and am not willing not shell out the bucks for a minor convenience. My comments are definitely personal choice and there are so many WiFi hot spots around the impact of not always having Internet access hasn't hit me yet.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I have a voice and text only plan using WiFi when I need the type of downloads you describe. If I want to watch videos or listen to Music I carry a Meenova OTG micoSD card reader (check the N5 accessories section) and preload the files I need. I consider most of the data plans to be a huge consumer ripoff and am not willing not shell out the bucks for a minor convenience. My comments are definitely personal choice and there are so many WiFi hot spots around the impact of not always having Internet access hasn't hit me yet.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

I think this comes down to region too (pricing I mean).

In the UK you can get 200 minutes, 5000 texts and truly unlimited data for £12.90 a month (sim only). £15.90 if you want 600 minutes.

Why do you have to download ROMs and apps over 3G? Don't you have wireless at home?

I can easily survive a month with 500MB, while checking my e-mail a few times a day (about 10 e-mails over 5 syncs), checking a few tens of articles over feedly and reading at least 5-10 of them, playing 8 Ball Pool (by Miniclip) at least on hour, using Waze for at least half an hour and other occasional searches. I only install apps over 3G on rare occasions (once a week at most), and when I cannot wait until I get home. And sometimes I'm wondering how could I wisely use more data, not to pile it up at the end of the month.

But that's just me...

vimesUK

Aug 18, 2007
Nr Manchester
Both me and my wife manage fine on a 250mb monthly plan. Over 3G we only need the odd update for the weather app and the usual Whatsapp photos and videos, from other family members. Whilst the photos and vids do consume most of that meagre allowance it still works out fine. The videos will get downloaded when at home and using the wi-fi connection.
Knowing that we are "restricted" on a tight data plan (but managing fine) it does tend to discipline me to no longer bother about using the phone more "frivolously", in terms of data usage, and I suppose when I'm at home I'll use my tablet or PC, much bigger screens etc.

Neither of us feel restricted in our use, and it works out much cheaper, but it does focus the attention away from the phone and the habitual data usage which was neither important nor needed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I think you fail to see my point. This is XDA, where we talk about phones.

Telling someone they need to find a hobby usually implies that you think someone doesn't have a life.

PS it takes literally 5 minutes to download and flash the latest nightly of cyanogemod. I am not downloading a miillion different roms each month. Just staying up to date.

edit: also and saying "no offense" before saying something offensive isn't a hall pass to say something rude.
    What's the issue here "Nexus 5 on no data / low data plan." or hobbies.....let's end the hobby discussion. Thanks