[SCRIPT] Remove Cell Standby Service (No Effect on Battery Life!)

Search This thread

dalingrin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 6, 2007
Please do not do this. As the thread title says, "No Effect on Battery Life!"

djxcee

Oct 2, 2010
I know it may be too much to ask but I'm going to ask anyway.
Can you make this CWM flashable? :D

RoboRay

Nov 25, 2010
I know it may be too much to ask but I'm going to ask anyway.
Can you read the thread and see that there is no point in doing this?

jimlivingston

Oct 14, 2007
You all should read the entire thread. This was disproved. Removing the apks don't improve battery life as the NC does not have a cell radio.

I just read 20 pages and see no proof that this does not work. Where is the scientific methodology? There needs to be two identically configured nooks. One with this hack and one without. Both need to be fully charged and then unplugged. They both need to be left running and not sleeping. Perhaps running Pandora or something. After x amount of hours their battery levels should be checked and compared.

Relying a test of a single device while in its sleep state is not sufficient. I am smart enough to know many services are halted during sleep. For all I know, the cell service might be one of them. It may only run in futility when the nook itself is being used.

Now, unless my tired missed this experiment already being done, I am left with real world experiences; albeit not as reliable as scientific experimenting, but better than a non-scientific experiment.

Also, saying that the cell service program can't drain your batter because there is no hardware may not be correct. Programs DO drain batteries. Duh, right? I would think a program that is polling for hardware but never finds it, and thus runs constantly, would indeed drain batteries... fast.

Well, if the above experiment has already been done (twice), please someone enlighten me.

RoboRay

Nov 25, 2010
<sigh>

I'm going to resolve the problem of people continuing to read Post #1, think this is something worth doing, ask questions about it, and have the thread continue to pop up on my subscriptions page by finally just unsubscribing from it.

That's just sad. I don't recall ever needing to unsubscribe from a thread I've posted in before.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
I just read 20 pages and see no proof that this does not work. Where is the scientific methodology? There needs to be two identically configured nooks. One with this hack and one without. Both need to be fully charged and then unplugged. They both need to be left running and not sleeping. Perhaps running Pandora or something. After x amount of hours their battery levels should be checked and compared.

Relying a test of a single device while in its sleep state is not sufficient. I am smart enough to know many services are halted during sleep. For all I know, the cell service might be one of them. It may only run in futility when the nook itself is being used.

Sure. Done. My wife's NC does not have the phone apk's removed, mine does. Hers shows the expected phone/cellular stuff in Spare Parts, mine mostly shows Android System as the top consumer.

Her NC uses about .2%/hr when it's asleep, or around 20 days standby time. Mine is the same when I disable my widgets. ;)

jimlivingston

Oct 14, 2007
Have you tried the expirement with the nooks NOT in sleep? That is the real test. I would expect that services such as the cell would be dormant, as it is sleeping.

If not, than your expirement is invalid, scientifically speaking.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Have you tried the expirement with the nooks NOT in sleep? That is the real test. I would expect that services such as the cell would be dormant, as it is sleeping.

If not, than your expirement is invalid, scientifically speaking.

Your argument is invalid, as what's showing up in Spare Part is Partial Wake Lock, which is only when the NC is asleep.

But anyway, yes, both of ours use approximately 8-10%/hr when in use. I could sit 'em side by side and measure them out exactly but that's pointless.

You feel free to do it and let us know.. :rolleyes:

jimlivingston

Oct 14, 2007
I appreciate what you are saying, however I have searched this entire thread and cannot find the write up or data from your experiment. I do not know if both your nooks are identical in their model, firmware, installed apps, running services, etc. That alone means your results could be invalid. I don't even know the procedures you took in your experiment, save that you tested them while they were in a state of lower power; which is not the state they really need to be tested in. And of course I have not seen anything about your experiment being replicated. That alone invalidates ANY conclusions you could draw from whatever experiment you have done.

The fact is any experiment needs to be done according to scientific methodology.

First, your control group MUST be identical to your variable group. Any failure in that and you have literally lost control of the experiment.

Second, the experiment MUST be replicated using the EXACT same experiment. Failure to do so makes your initial results inconclusive.

These rules are not subjective or prone to opinion. These are established guidelines set forth by the Scientific Community. I did not make these up. If your experiment does not conform to the rules, it is invalid.

So, as of right no, I see no proof that this does or does not work. All I have to go on is observation experiences of others, and the majority of those say it does work. Does that mean it does indeed work? No. I now also have my own personal experience, as I applied this hack. I am finding that my battery is lasting longer than it did prior to the hack. Does that mean it does indeed work? No. For all I know, an app I installed or uninstalled could be the cause of my longer battery life. I am not an expert on batteries. All it means is that any claim being made are inconclusive and invalid.

I would love to do the experiment, if I was the one making claims either for or against it. I merely pointed out that proof has not been provided to back-up the claims being stated.

If proper proof has been provided, as I already asked, please point me to it!

chisleu

Mar 7, 2011
Myrtle Beach SC
What a thread...

Thanks for the instructions. It bothered me to no end to see those faux services represented in battery usage.

EDIT: The FP should be updated to rename the Mms.apk file too, which depends on telephony otherwise you get an error on reboot.

NuShrike

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2007
If you know anything about Linux and cpu idle states, the higher in the battery-use and the more % the "idle" process takes, the better.

Mine is basically 52% Display, and 9% Phone Idle (CM7). I would rather have it reversed.

cephasara

May 8, 2008
Possibly more than removing .apks

I don't know what to take from this thread now. All I know is that, regardless of if the OP's instructions really work, there is a way to remove "Phone Idle" from using resources. Perhaps there is more to it than just removing those .apk files.

http://tabletroms.com/forums/showthread.php?807-Cell-standby-services-removed-or-hidden-in-Eden-1.5&

Looking at the above link the Notion Ink tablet had an update that removed cell services and increased battery life, THEREFORE IT IS POSSIBLE. Maybe someone would like to take a look at the update removing cell service and the one right before it to see what else may have changed.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
I don't know what to take from this thread now. All I know is that, regardless of if the OP's instructions really work, there is a way to remove "Phone Idle" from using resources. Perhaps there is more to it than just removing those .apk files.

http://tabletroms.com/forums/showthread.php?807-Cell-standby-services-removed-or-hidden-in-Eden-1.5&

Looking at the above link the Notion Ink tablet had an update that removed cell services and increased battery life, THEREFORE IT IS POSSIBLE. Maybe someone would like to take a look at the update removing cell service and the one right before it to see what else may have changed.

My god, let this thread die.

There is NO radio hardware in the Nook Colour. Therefore it will DO NOTHING.

rhester72

Mar 30, 2011
Please give some hard evidence with your hard claim. That, alone, has been the problem with this whole thread.

This has been disproved at least a half dozen times through actual testing instead of guessing and "common sense". The burden of proof is on you - show through scientific testing that it helps and we will all become True Believers.

Rodney

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: I've added this to my script and for some reason it has an adverse effect on the "n" button and Lock Screen if used BEFORE you complete the SetupWizard !!!
    WARNING: Again BE WARNED if you do this mod before you finish the setup wizard you will loose the functionality of your "n" button and Lock Screen !!!

I have a feeling poster before me copied and pasted this from somewhere because notice how in his first sentence he says "Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk" but then his script says "Mms.apk"....what happened to Phone.apk because there is no Mms.apk in the system folder on any Nook I have. So below is the corrected script and also this entire process in done in dos instead of in adb;

Code:
    adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
    adb shell mv /system/app/Phone.apk /system/app/Phone.OLD
    adb shell mv /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk /system/app/TelephonyProvider.OLD
    adb reboot
    There is no adverse effect from doing this & it's confirmed after while in NookTools there is no Cell Standy service running.

Download [REMOVAL]

Want to undo this process?
    Code:
    adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
    adb shell mv /system/app/Phone.OLD /system/app/Phone.apk
    adb shell mv /system/app/TelephonyProvider.OLD /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk
    adb reboot

Download [UNDO REMOVAL]
    I am the person who added this information to the Wiki and I did it specifically for the Nookie Froyo build, which is why it includes the Mms.apk.

I could care less one way or the other who uses it or for what purpose, I am just glad that we can use it on our devices using the stock software as well as the Froyo build.

It is perfectly reasonable to expect that more than one person could come to the same conclusion about the impact of removing these services, so please ease up on mrodlies and xboxexpert and lets get on with life.. :)

In addition, this "trick" has been documented several times in threads for different tablet devices without cell based services....

-Robert
    I invented the internet. YOU'RE WELCOME!
    thanks, just got my NC yesterday, and already updated/rooted + done this hack :)
    So you are saying that "Battery Use" is not accurate and does not do what the name implies?

It's a false positive. In this case it's showing up but there is no difference. Period.

I have not messed with my wife's Nook Color phone apk's and hers loses 0% damn near forever... Once didn't drop a single percent in 14 hours of standby.