Originally Posted by Prime
How is the audio quality? The obex i had on my s3 produced horrible audio quality.
Sound is okay, minimally diminished but it's better than the obex. Don't get the vibration type sound interference.
The distance from the screen to the screen protector feels about 2-3 mm's. Doesn't register all touches easily and well, it's a bit further than my wife's life proof.
Cut outs are spot on.
The back of the case has a bit of design. After feeling the case more, there isn't really any rubberized parts. it's just more plastic. Compared to my wife's definitely cheaply made - as to be expected.
Unlike the seidio obex where they use a rubber overlay on the home button - the home button on this lifeproof knockoff is just covered by the screen protector albeit it's black with a circle around it. My wife's lifeproof iphone5 is similiar but has an indention to the home button.
The volume rocker and power buttons are slightly off and take about 2-3 hard pushes to get a response.
Haven't had a chance to take a call with it yet. Will test it later today.
Had a couple phone calls. People can hear me without a problem. Haven't noticed any issues with it.
So in regards to the positives:
1) Sound seems to be basically intact, both microphone/speaker.
2) Waterproof - Case does appear to have the same or similiar waterproofing sponge-like material for the seals.
1) Cheaply made (lol) compared to the real life proof, no rubber aspects to the external case.
2) Clip at bottom doesn't clip in as tightly as I would want it to, might just be this case though.
3) The Volume rocker is in the right place but needs a harder than usual push on it to work, so you'll push it 2 to 3 times to get it to respond.
4) The Power button is situated feels 0.5 mm to 1 mm below where it should be and also requires harder pushing.
5) Screen protector doesn't come in contact with the phone directly, there is about 2 mm gap, most of the touches register, about 95 percent or so. If you touch something at the edge, it's more lightly it won't register.
What I didn't test:
1) the water test for 1 hour, I did it for about 6-7 minutes like the obex recommended.
2) any drops, the plastic seems a bit brittle and stuff, I imagine that the case would probably crack or break, possibly transmit shock forces directly to the phone - doubt it's 6 feet drop rated as a knock off.
Compared to the Obex:
Prefer the obex, feels better in hand, better screen response. Sound is a little off on the obex, but I do think it offers better protection from a real fall and serious submersions.
I would recommend this case for anyone who's on a budget <25 dollars and wants something that's going to be basically waterproof.
Otherwise, go find something else - bfree? Obex? Or wait for the real lifeproof to come out.
Here's a few ebay links: