Nice price on 64GB micro SDXC!

Search This thread

quita1

Jun 17, 2011
Last edited:

MattZTexasu

Sep 3, 2009
the one I bought was class 10 instead of class 6. I wasn't trying to refute what you wrote; I was just adding my experience to the pool as a warning to others.

Regarding whether I formatted it or not:
None of my devices would mount the card; but I don't have anything that's SDXC compatible. So, it wasn't possible to format the card.

The phone would recognize that it was plugged in; but when I tried to mount it, it would immediately unmount.

In CWM, it would log that there was an error mounting it after trying to mount.

quita1

Jun 17, 2011
Regarding whether I formatted it or not:
None of my devices would mount the card; but I don't have anything that's SDXC compatible. So, it wasn't possible to format the card.

The phone would recognize that it was plugged in; but when I tried to mount it, it would immediately unmount

Maybe I haven't explained this very good. Let's step back and explain this from the start.
1. The G2x is not compatible with SDXC out of the box, because SDXC comes formatted with a file system called exFAT.
2. The G2x supports FAT32 file system.
3. My point of this whole thread is that you can change (reformat) the SDXC card filing system from exFAT to FAT32, and THEN your phone will recognize and MOUNT the card.
4. There's a very good chance that the card you purchased will work if you format it first.

quita1

Jun 17, 2011
How are you supposed to format it if nothing you put it in will mount it? That's what isn't clear.

Here's how I formatted the card: I made a backup of both internal and external memory, shut down phone, pulled the battery and memory card. I then installed the 64GB card and restarted. This is where everyone gets the error message, including me. It says something like "unable to mount card" or something. So for me, all it took was another restart (with a battery pull?) and upon booting up, the phone had reformatted the card. That was it - works great.

Now if this doesn't work for you, you can get your pc to do the reformat. The problem here is that Windows no longer supports reformatting FAT32 for volumes larger than 4GB ( I read that somewhere). The workaround is a freeware program that WILL reformat 64GB. Do a search(FAT32 reformat). I found many such programs. I hope this is helpful.

Scott Kilau

Aug 30, 2011
Minnesota
Here's how I formatted the card: I made a backup of both internal and external memory, shut down phone, pulled the battery and memory card. I then installed the 64GB card and restarted. This is where everyone gets the error message, including me. It says something like "unable to mount card" or something. So for me, all it took was another restart (with a battery pull?) and upon booting up, the phone had reformatted the card. That was it - works great.

Now if this doesn't work for you, you can get your pc to do the reformat. The problem here is that Windows no longer supports reformatting FAT32 for volumes larger than 4GB ( I read that somewhere). The workaround is a freeware program that WILL reformat 64GB. Do a search(FAT32 reformat). I found many such programs. I hope this is helpful.

I just wanted to echo the above, this worked for me as well for a 64GB card.

I backed up everything, internal and external, "just in case".
I then formatted the SD card to FAT on the Mac, (since my Mac has an SD Slot handy here at work).

I then brought the phone up, and checked in Settings -> Storage -> SD card -> Total Space.
Indeed, it shows Total Space of 59.45GB, as you would expect.

I then connected the phone to my Windows 7 box, and let the drive mount as usual.
It was properly seen under Windows, and sees all the space we would expect, as available.

I then copied back all my data files from the back up of the external flash, to the new flash, and rebooted.
Everything is seen, I can browse/play with all files on the flash.

So, long story short, the whole key here, is to format your SDXC as FAT32, either by the Mac, or by a util under Windows, and you should be set to go.

greasy_spoon

Oct 11, 2012
I got 2 of the class 10's, and had the same "damaged" messages. First one wouldn't give me a format option at all, second one formatted to 64GB on the 3rd or 4th reboot. First card DID show up as a 64GB card when I used my SD card reader input on my laptop. Copying all my data over right now. I'll repost once I get it going.

BTW, DO NOT use any utility to format the card. I tried using the utility SanDisk recommends and that's what lunched my first card. It's now only seen as a 32GB card no matter what I do, and even after dealing with SanDisk tech support and suing a utility THEY offered me, it's still lunched. Best part was when they told me to run the utility on the SECOND card after it let all the magic smoke out of the first card.

Last edited:

Evil_Droid

Aug 12, 2010
That's insane. Where's the breaking point lol.

.•°Sent from my Tweaked Freaked and Sleeked G2X°•. using XDA Premium ®

jmindset

Oct 18, 2012
Computers see 1GB as 1024mb

Humans see 1GB as 1000mb

When they market their card as 64GB they do it the human version (64000mb)

When your computer sees it, it counts a GB as 1024mb, so obviously it wont end up being 64GB counting that way.

Hope that helps

I wish company's would start marketing their products the true amount of space that computers read em as. It would help stop all this confusion. U just guess 64 gb sounds better than 60. Its similar to the way stores mark items for "".99. If they marked it for the exact price you would actually pay for, then they wouldn't make as much as money

sent from my rooted galaxy 3.6

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's because computers can't devide by 1024 or something like that. I think. :p

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Computers see 1GB as 1024mb

Humans see 1GB as 1000mb

When they market their card as 64GB they do it the human version (64000mb)

When your computer sees it, it counts a GB as 1024mb, so obviously it wont end up being 64GB counting that way.

Hope that helps
    Here are some pictures. You lose some memory in the reformatting.
    You actually do get the full 64gb...if you paid attention enough. But it's a matter of the discrepancy between binary numbering and decimal numbering schemes used.

If you do a right click and hit "properties" of your hard drives (where you see the pie chart), and look under "capacity", you'll see a value that hits what you're looking for, if not close. Be it 64gb or 320gb.

My laptop drive is 120GB and shows: 119787220992 bytes (read, 119 billion, just a hair below 120), for a capacity of 111GB. You're not losing 9gb, it's just information being represented differently.
    How are you supposed to format it if nothing you put it in will mount it? That's what isn't clear.