[Need] How to change the faceplate of the Magic?

Search This thread

Lorennz

Sep 5, 2009
Hamilton
I am so interested to know if someone has guides or videos guidance to change faceplates on the Magic/MyTouch3G.

My girl friend has a black phone and I ordered her a new white housing for the phone from eBay. I received everything including tools but there was no any instructions. I gave a try from what I can see but it was not successful. I even searched on net but no luck yet.

Any comments will be really appreciated.

looktall

Jul 28, 2009
here's the magic service manual.
it details how to pull apart the phone into it's individual parts (colour pics included)...

http://phandroid.com/htc-magic-manual.pdf

you may or may not need to totally pull it apart just to change the faceplate (i don't know), but it'll still give you a good idea of how it all goes together.

Last edited:

Lorennz

Sep 5, 2009
Hamilton
it details how to pull apart the phone into it's individual parts (colour pics included)...

you may or may not need to totally pull it apart just to change the faceplate (i don't know), but it'll still give you a good idea of how it all goes together.

Thanks for information bro.

Actually, I need to give a try and figure out if I could just pull the faceplate along without totally pulling it apart. It will be so painful as I wont even realize if something goes wrong. Damn wish I had some videos on this.

donepate

Oct 30, 2007
The mytouch is easy to break down but it would have to be totaly taken apart to change out the plastic housing.

jethro1138

Sep 14, 2009

Oh that's awesome. I wasn't even LOOKING for this but it's awesome.

dskid807

Jan 12, 2008
Just one problem with that manual, it's for a prototype version of the sapphire which has the hero style buttons on the bottom instead of the Magic ones. Now, I'm not sure if this is the only difference but just bear that in mind.

donepate

Oct 30, 2007
I have fully disassembled 3 MyTouch phones. Easiest smart phone to break down so far. Just don't drink any cafiene before hand. not diffucult in any way. just needs a steady hand. HOWEVER! If you have never done this kind of thing before you will likely screw something up. I have been tearing electronics down and repairing them for twenty years. The ribbon type cables can be torn VERY easily, one slip with a screw driver can tear into a board and destroy it beyond repair, too much stress removing a fragile screen can break it. The learning procces on this type of stuff is an expensive one. Go VERY slow and be VERY patient.

james_d

Jul 14, 2009
Very tempted to replace housing on mine, currently have grubby white Voda one and would like black/red HTC one on ebay. However, as poster said before I have little experience in doing this and nervous to do so. Not sure if I am brave enough!

Lorennz

Sep 5, 2009
Hamilton

Dr.Preston

Sep 29, 2009
That might be a bad sign, as the rogers magic I believe is the 32a mainboard and the mytouch is the 32b mainboard. But then again, maybe the mainboard version has nothing to do with this. Is there someone out there who knows for sure that can confirm this?

pep1t0

Jul 21, 2009
Somebody should make a video of the housing replacement... i have changed some housings but never a touch screen phone... help would be appreciated...

Lorennz

Sep 5, 2009
Hamilton
Hell ya.. I was googling it for days 'n weeks. There was no luck so I went looking for phone repair shops. Finally found a chinese store and they did it for me for $20. :) That is my story.

Anartic

Jul 18, 2009

cashoplz

Dec 22, 2009
Oh man...That looked very complicated :eek:
So, in order to change the housing, I need to fully torn apart my phone?
>.> I knew I shouldn't bought the 3 years warranty for $80

Lorennz

Sep 5, 2009
Hamilton
Where did you have it changed? I looked all over pacific mall and no one would do it.

I had the same problem on every phone shop in Pacific Mall. But I finally found a one in the Pacific Mall. Probably they are the only people do housing changes for Magic You got to go the area that has phone parts and repair section.

Enter to the mall from the main entrace and turn right and walk all the way down and then turn left. You can find it somewhere in the middle on your left. Sorry I can not remember the name of the shop.

By the way I had my own housing. I do not know if they carry in stock of those.

Last edited:

cashoplz

Dec 22, 2009
Oh man, Ive done some research and found a few local phone repair shop who can replace my housing but they all charges over $50.00 = =..I'm going to do it on my own

Okay... I'm finished.
the overall process only should be taking about 30-45 mins.
just follow the guide from step 1-7, then you can jump to step 29 which is remove the LCM from the plate.
Then put the LCM along with rest of the motherboard (watch out there is 2 parts linked together) into your new plate.
Now, put everything back together.

Last edited: