[Q] Galaxy S4 (i337) on 4.4.2 Rooting/Recovery Issues!

Search This thread

Nati0n

Jul 4, 2014
Hello everyone,

I hate to be the person that joins a forum with an immediate question without having contributed anything previously, but here it goes: looking for some advice from experts on this one. I have an AT&T Galaxy S4 i337 that I recently updated to KitKat 4.4.2 - worst mistake I've ever made, not only do I have constant problems getting GPS locks now, perhaps the most aggravating issue is slow charging. It can take upwards of 7 hours to charge to 100% and I've tried everything including new cable and new battery. The phone can be plugged in and charging and still discharge until it dies. This issue surfaced immediately after I updated and, based on other information I've seen on XDA and other forums, it seems entirely probable this is a software issue since a lot of people seem to have the same problem. Plus, I'm getting tired of TouchWiz.

So I've decided to go towards SlimKat custom ROM hopefully to rectify some of these issues. However, I've had major problems at every step especially being on 4.4.2 (and what I believe is the newer firmware MF3?). Here is a summary of what I've done:

1) Tried rooting the phone through the XDA tutorial on this subforum where you use Motochopper, CF root and all of that, I forget the exact issue but it never worked. I tried for quite a long time.

2) I finally got the device rooted through Towelroot, which I had suspicions about because it was so easy and quick, but after installing SuperSU and RootChecker it's working like a charm!

3) Installed TWRP without success through GooManager... it would download and hang or say successfully installed but wouldn't ever boot into recovery.

4) Tried installing SafeStrap and as soon as I downloaded the lastest version and tried to install it from the app/GUI it would say install successful but the state would be listed as Not Installed

5) Moved onto ClockWorkMod which I had success with in the past on my Samsung Vibrant and CyanogenMod several years ago. I tried flashing recovery from the app and while it says it's sucessfully installed, once again I boot into recovery and I get an blue Andriod for a split second then a dead looking Andriod with a No Command error given. It boots into stock recovery, and it has the custom unlock logo under the samsung POST (or bootup) screen but won't launch ClockWorkMod.

So that brings me to where I am at now. I got the latest GS4 drivers from Samsung, made sure Kies was not installed, went through countless processes/cables USB ports (made sure they weren't hubs obviously) and I keep getting the same error when I try flashing ClockWorkMod for the i337 right from Odin3. I get:

<ID:0/005> Added!!
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/005> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/005> Removed!!

or

<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> There is no PIT partition.

I know the Galaxy S4 i337 from AT&T especially with KitKat 4.4 is notoriously hard to root but I'm on my last nerve with this phone, I wouldn't be so frustrated if the stock OS didn't have so many issues with the update. When in Odin, I tried getting an SGH-i337 16GB PIT file and still got an error so that's not working either. No idea where to go from now, and sick and tired of waiting for AT&T, Google, and Samsung to come out with a fix and network-pushed update.

Please help!!! :fingers-crossed:

Last edited:

jmjoyas

Apr 5, 2013
Hello everyone,

I hate to be the person that joins a forum with an immediate question without having contributed anything previously, but here it goes: looking for some advice from experts on this one. I have an AT&T Galaxy S4 i337 that I recently updated to KitKat 4.4.2 - worst mistake I've ever made, not only do I have constant problems getting GPS locks now, perhaps the most aggravating issue is slow charging. It can take upwards of 7 hours to charge to 100% and I've tried everything including new cable and new battery. This issue surfaced immediately after I updated and, based on other information I've seen on XDA and other forums, it seems entirely probable this is a software issue since a lot of people seem to have the same problem. Plus, I'm getting tired of TouchWiz.

So I've decided to go towards SlimKat custom ROM hopefully to rectify some of these issues. However, I've had major problems at every step especially being on 4.4.2 (and what I believe is the newer firmware MF3?). Here is a summary of what I've done:

1) Tried rooting the phone through the XDA tutorial on this subforum where you use Motochopper, CF root and all of that, I forget the exact issue but it never worked. I tried for quite a long time.

2) I finally got the device rooted through Towelroot, which I had suspicions about because it was so easy and quick, but after installing SuperSU and RootChecker it's working like a charm!

3) Installed TWRP without success through GooManager... it would download and hang or say successfully installed but wouldn't ever boot into recovery.

4) Tried installing SafeStrap and as soon as I downloaded the lastest version and tried to install it from the app/GUI it would say install successful but the state would be listed as Not Installed

5) Moved onto ClockWorkMod which I had success with in the past on my Samsung Vibrant and CyanogenMod several years ago. I tried flashing recovery from the app and while it says it's sucessfully installed, once again I boot into recovery and I get an blue Andriod for a split second then a dead looking Andriod with a No Command error given. It boots into stock recovery, and it has the custom unlock logo under the samsung POST (or bootup) screen but won't launch ClockWorkMod.

So that brings me to where I am at now. I got the latest GS4 drivers from Samsung, made sure Kies was not installed, went through countless processes/cables USB ports (made sure they weren't hubs obviously) and I keep getting the same error when I try flashing ClockWorkMod for the i337 right from Odin3. I get:

or

I know the Galaxy S4 i337 from AT&T especially with KitKat 4.4 is notoriously hard to root but I'm on my last nerve with this phone, I wouldn't be so frustrated if the stock OS didn't have so many issues with the update. When in Odin, I tried getting an SGH-i337 16GB PIT file and still got an error so that's not working either. No idea where to go from now, and sick and tired of waiting for AT&T, Google, and Samsung to come out with a fix and network-pushed update.

SGH-i337 has a locked bootloader. That prevents us from replacing the stock kernel and recovery. The only working recovery we have is safestrap.

The bootloader also prevents a downgrade unless the versions are compatible. NB1 and NC1 are compatible and so you should be able to flash the stock NB1 firmware using Odin.

Since you have root already, you can install safestrap after setting SELinux to permissive mode. Use the selinuxmodechanger app from play store for that.

All things AT&T thread.

Reactions: Nati0n

Nati0n

Jul 4, 2014
So I would have to downgrade to compatible NB1 using ODIN (once I do the step you described) and then from there could I flash a custom ROM such as SlimKat? Would safestrap work in NB1 even though it doesn't work in the current firmware?

sway8966

Mar 17, 2012
Odessa
So I would have to downgrade to compatible NB1 using ODIN (once I do the step you described) and then from there could I flash a custom ROM such as SlimKat? Would safestrap work in NB1 even though it doesn't work in the current firmware?
Since you successfully rooted with towel root, I guess your firmware is NC1.
You do not need to downgrade to NB1. Your safestrap version should be 3.72. Are you sure your safestrap is not working. To go to the safestrap you simply restart your phone. You do not need to go the recovery mode.
You have locked bootloader so you can not use the custom kernel or AOSP rom like Slimkat. You can only use the TOUCHWIZ roms.

patstar5

Oct 20, 2012
You do not need to downgrade to NB1. Your safestrap version should be 3.72. Are you sure your safestrap is not working. To go to the safestrap you simply restart your phone. You do not need to go the recovery mode.
You have locked bootloader so you can not use the custom kernel or AOSP rom like Slimkat. You can only use the TOUCHWIZ roms.

Can you help me? I am trying to factory reset my galaxy s4 that is rooted with towelroot to sell on ebay. When I reset it, it saids "ATT detected software not authorized for phone", and it doesn't reset. Anyway to do this?

drock212

Aug 26, 2009
ORLANDO
Can you help me? I am trying to factory reset my galaxy s4 that is rooted with towelroot to sell on ebay. When I reset it, it saids "ATT detected software not authorized for phone", and it doesn't reset. Anyway to do this?

Flash nb1 firmware using odin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

patstar5

Oct 20, 2012
Flash nb1 firmware using odin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Ok,following instructions here: www.androidrootz.com/2014/03/how-to-unrootunbrick-at-galaxy-s4-sgh.html?m=1
Internet is really slow, 1mbps, so started 2.2gb file download and will try it when it finishes downloading, probably tomorrow. Going to post here if it works. Well, July 4th, going to do fireworks later on. Happy Independence day for all of you in U.S!

jmjoyas

Apr 5, 2013
Ok,following instructions here: www.androidrootz.com/2014/03/how-to-unrootunbrick-at-galaxy-s4-sgh.html?m=1
Internet is really slow, 1mbps, so started 2.2gb file download and will try it when it finishes downloading, probably tomorrow. Going to post here if it works. Well, July 4th, going to do fireworks later on. Happy Independence day for all of you in U.S!

Remember what I already mentioned. Since you are on NC1, you can only flash NB1 (as they are compatible and we dont have a full NC1 tar file). You cannot flash MK2.

Nati0n

Jul 4, 2014

Ah okay understood, thanks for linking me to that thread I will look through those Touchwiz based roms. I was hoping to go to a Google Play Edition ROM too but from what I'm reading a lot of things don't work on it.

Thanks again everyone for your knowledge and advice. In reality do you think flashing a custom Touchwiz based ROM will address my issues or should I just downgrade to NB1? And is there REALLY no way to unlock the S4 bootloader on GSM devices? I thought someone did it on a CDMA version recently.

UPDATE: I should have reread the first post, after installing SELinuxModeChanger and setting it to permissive, I was able to get SafeStrap to install and boot properly.

Last edited:

jmjoyas

Apr 5, 2013
You need to have selinux in permissive mode. Use selinuxmodechanger app for that.

Nati0n

Jul 4, 2014
Yeah with the combination of TowelRoot, SELinuxModeChanger, and SafeStrap I now have a rooted phone with a recovery installed, what ROMs do you guys recommend that are TouchWiz based for the i337 NC1? I'm looking through the list and not seeing much.

jmjoyas

Apr 5, 2013
Yeah with the combination of TowelRoot, SELinuxModeChanger, and SafeStrap I now have a rooted phone with a recovery installed, what ROMs do you guys recommend that are TouchWiz based for the i337 NC1? I'm looking through the list and not seeing much.
All the ROMs listed in the all things at thread will work.

Nati0n

Jul 4, 2014
Yeah, with hesitation I ended up going with a Google Play Edition ROM to get rid of touchwiz and man did it work well, my only minor annoyances are wifi (as was warned) and the face that MMS pictures are compressed WAY too much when I send them. The charging issue got marginally better but the battery lasts a lot longer without bloatware and the interface is super sleek.

jmjoyas

Apr 5, 2013
Yeah, with hesitation I ended up going with a Google Play Edition ROM to get rid of touchwiz and man did it work well, my only minor annoyances are wifi (as was warned) and the face that MMS pictures are compressed WAY too much when I send them. The charging issue got marginally better but the battery lasts a lot longer without bloatware and the interface is super sleek.
Every time you reboot the phone, you will lose WiFi. You can recover it by soft rebooting the phone.

sethmh88

Dec 23, 2010
s4 recovery issues

could you tell me the steps you took? i'm stuck with a rooted samsung s4 also. this is my phones info. i would appreciate the help. many thanks will come your way.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

I hate to be the person that joins a forum with an immediate question without having contributed anything previously, but here it goes: looking for some advice from experts on this one. I have an AT&T Galaxy S4 i337 that I recently updated to KitKat 4.4.2 - worst mistake I've ever made, not only do I have constant problems getting GPS locks now, perhaps the most aggravating issue is slow charging. It can take upwards of 7 hours to charge to 100% and I've tried everything including new cable and new battery. This issue surfaced immediately after I updated and, based on other information I've seen on XDA and other forums, it seems entirely probable this is a software issue since a lot of people seem to have the same problem. Plus, I'm getting tired of TouchWiz.

or

SGH-i337 has a locked bootloader. That prevents us from replacing the stock kernel and recovery. The only working recovery we have is safestrap.

The bootloader also prevents a downgrade unless the versions are compatible. NB1 and NC1 are compatible and so you should be able to flash the stock NB1 firmware using Odin.

Since you have root already, you can install safestrap after setting SELinux to permissive mode. Use the selinuxmodechanger app from play store for that.

All things AT&T thread.