[Q] Converting .jar file

Search This thread

kiltedthrower

Sep 23, 2010
I found some pretty cool looking games for android that aren't on the market. They're in a .jar format. I couldn't find much through google on getting them to an .apk file so I can fun them.

Any help would be appreciated.

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
Are you sure they are meant for android? When I had a Motorola SLVR or my LG flip-phone the game files were jar files. They ran in a Java environment.

I know android uses jar files, but I thought they were more like setting or system files.

But I have never written an android app. Maybe you need to compile them with the sdk.

Sent from my LG Thrill Faux G

CallMeAria

Aug 17, 2010
Murrieta, CA
I found some pretty cool looking games for android that aren't on the market. They're in a .jar format. I couldn't find much through google on getting them to an .apk file so I can fun them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Might just have something to do with uploading/downloading. Just rename the app to end in .apk instead of .jar and try it. Apk is actually just a form of a .jar anyways. Worst case is it wont install.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

kiltedthrower

Sep 23, 2010
The games are over at 3androidapps.

Here are teh instructions and it's the last part that's tripping me up (I've bolded it)...

Download and install the Google Android SDK program and the Android USB drivers.
You need to modify your Android's settings to allow the installation of applications from other sources. Under "Settings," select "Application Settings" and then enable "Unknown Sources." Also under "Settings," select "SD Card" and "Phone Storage," and finally enable "Disable Use for USB Storage"
This last step is easy. Open Command Prompt and type the following: adb install <apk file>

So do I just put this on the root of my SD card? And does <apk file> change it from a .jar file?

Here's the direct link to the game(s)
http://www.3androidapps.com/app/Darkest+Fear+1.30-2110.html