[kernel] [odin3] Overclock to 1.2 GHz!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Dani897

Aug 16, 2010
What files do I need and how do I install them into my phone?

before you start make sure your phone goes into dowlaod mode by turning it off, hold both volume butons for 2-4 seconds and plug in a usb cable, you will need to pull the battery and remove the usb cable to get it out of download mode.

if the phone doesn't go into download mode then modding it is risky. you will have to use adb to get into download mode and reflash the phone to a good firmware, you can sometimes use adb to get into download mode after it is broken but i wouldn't take the risk.

http://ip208-100-42-21.static.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=725555
rename this file update.zip and put it on the root of the internal sdcard, make sure you dont actually change it to update.zip.zip i think if you rename it in my files it doesn't show the file extention so it is easy to do that.

put phone into recovery mode by turning it off, hold vol up + vol down for 2-4 seconds, then press the power button while still holding the volume buttons and hold untill the att screen starts up.

select reinstall packages. using the volume keys to navigate and the power button to select it.

you should now have root

or

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=739304

once you have root search the market for rom manager and install from there,

then download version 1.6 from below, i think 1.7 is in beta

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=762171

delete the update.zip from rooting if you used that meathod

in rom manager flash clockwork recovery then select install from sd card and navigate to the kernel file, you dont need to rename it.

phone will reboot, it may not go into clockwork mod recovery the first time, if it doesn't it will be in stock recovery. if it works it will install the kernel auto matically.

if it is in stock recovery select reinstall packages, once in clock work recovery navigate to install .zip from sd card. navigate to the place you dowloaded the kernel to and select it. it will install

if something goes wrong and the phone breaks, freezes, force closes in a loop to the point it is not useable get odin one click here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=731989

please read the first post in each thread, im already going in to much more detail than i'd like to.

Last edited:

Dani897

Aug 16, 2010
There is no over clock for froyo. They haven't built a froyo kernel for that yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Dani897

Aug 16, 2010
Btw froyo increases speed more than eclair with the overclock. Overclocking the gpu gets you better frame rates, but its not significant and the galaxy phones already have the best frame rates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

burry786

Oct 19, 2010
do you have a step by step guide on how to flash a kernel cuz im sorta noobish when it comes to kernels
and is there a similar kernel for froyo?

Last edited:

Dani897

Aug 16, 2010
do you have a step by step guide on how to flash a kernel cuz im sorta noobish when it comes to kernels
and is there a similar kernel for froyo?

mods please close this as the thread is no longer maintained.

this kernel is flashed with odin3, start odin and drop this file in the pda slot.

turn off phone.

hold volume up and volume down for 2 seconds then plug in the usb cable while still holding volume buttons, keep holding till a yellow/orangeish triangular sigh pops up with a robot holding a shovel.

now you are in download mode, odin should show the phone in one of the ports, hit start and wait, it goes quick phone will reboot when you are done.

this kernel is dated. unhelpful has several newer versions, v1.7 is the latest with back light notification, voodoo lag fix and clockwork mod recovery. but i found 1.4.1 to be more stable on my phone. his kernels are clock work recovery flashable so you will need root and rom manager. 'cept for v1.4.1 which has an odin3 flashable .tar version

daddydukes516

Oct 24, 2010
Need additional help.

I would like to overclock my Captivate. I have read all of the instructions, but am still having a bit of trouble grasping what to do. Everything I have read about using Odin3 to flash something seems to talk about resetting the phone back to original state. Does this have to happen in order to overclock. I have already updated to Froyo 2.2 and rooted my phone. Doing that caused me to lose quite a bit of stuff. And I would rather not have that happen again. And I used Titanium Backup as well. So maybe it's just me. Hopefully you can understand my situation.

trferris

Sep 1, 2010
Sorry, I am completely new at this whole thing, but after managing to finally flash the kernel to my phone, I noticed it seemed to change the platform my phone was running on to something new. The colors also seem to be less bright. Is there any way to change this back while keeping the increased speed?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.