[Q] Stuck at "Google Logo" after Rom Flash?

Search This thread

ThePedigree

Apr 21, 2014
I've got an AT&T M8 devices, and have installed the stock Kitkat version of Android on it. I found myself missing the (IMO superior) HTC camera app, and decided to flash either the stock Sense 6 rom or something based on it, like Android Revolution 5.

I booted into TWRP, backed everything up, and flashed the rom. When flashing was done, I cleared the Dalvik and Cache. The system then boots to a Google Logo with an unlocked lock at the bottom of the screen, and stays there until I do a hard reboot into TWRP. From there, I AM able to restore from backup, thankfully.

I thought I might not be waiting long enough for the ROM to do its magic, so I set a timer and let it stay on the Google Logo for a full 10 minutes. Still nothing.

I have tried this with the Stock Sense 6 AND the Android Revolution 5 ROMs with the same result.

Phone is S-Off. I'm coming from IOS for the last 3 years, so am probably missing something obvious, but can't seem to figure out what that is.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks very Much.

dipole

Sep 1, 2010
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I've got an AT&T M8 devices, and have installed the stock Kitkat version of Android on it. I found myself missing the (IMO superior) HTC camera app, and decided to flash either the stock Sense 6 rom or something based on it, like Android Revolution 5.

I booted into TWRP, backed everything up, and flashed the rom. When flashing was done, I cleared the Dalvik and Cache. The system then boots to a Google Logo with an unlocked lock at the bottom of the screen, and stays there until I do a hard reboot into TWRP. From there, I AM able to restore from backup, thankfully.

I thought I might not be waiting long enough for the ROM to do its magic, so I set a timer and let it stay on the Google Logo for a full 10 minutes. Still nothing.

I have tried this with the Stock Sense 6 AND the Android Revolution 5 ROMs with the same result.

Phone is S-Off. I'm coming from IOS for the last 3 years, so am probably missing something obvious, but can't seem to figure out what that is.

Thanks very Much.

need to reformat /system as well.

ThePedigree

Apr 21, 2014
Before, you need to clear out remnents of old rom, reformat cache, dalvik, data (not sd) and system then flash rom and gapps if needed. Reboot.

Thank you for your advice. I wish I had better news...

I Wiped the parts you mentioned. Installed ROM. Cleared Cache and Dalvik using the TWRP button that shows after installation. Rebooted, and there was no different result.

Tried it with both ROMs. Same results both times, except the non-stock ROM gives up and reboots in recovery mode after about three minutes. The stock ROM just stays stuck at Google logo.

Restore from backup still works.

Any other ideas, folks?

dipole

Sep 1, 2010
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Thank you for your advice. I wish I had better news...

I Wiped the parts you mentioned. Installed ROM. Cleared Cache and Dalvik using the TWRP button that shows after installation. Rebooted, and there was no different result.

Tried it with both ROMs. Same results both times, except the non-stock ROM gives up and reboots in recovery mode after about three minutes. The stock ROM just stays stuck at Google logo.

Restore from backup still works.

Any other ideas, folks?

Did you convert to GPE? If so you can't flash back to sense just yet

Also, check md5 of your download, might be corrupted

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013

Thanks very Much.

Did you flash a gpe rom or convert using ruu?

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
Converted using ruu. Thanks for your interest!

You have to convert back to sense. The gpe partitions are the incorrect size for a sense rom. Follow steps in post #2 in this link to get back. Next time just flash a gpe rom. The only advantage to converting is ota updates, which in a rom, they will update those too.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708589
if you get lost let me know, when it says flash firmware, you have to use the "fastboot oem rebootRUU" mode that you used in the conversion

Last edited:

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
Converted using ruu. Thanks for your interest!

HOW TO RETURN TO SENSE:

-Flash 1.54 Image- http://xdaforums.com/show...68&postcount=3
(fastboot oem rebootRUU, fastboot flash zip (whatever you name it).zip FLASH TWICE 1ST WILL FAIL )
-Boot Into OS
-Get Decrypt Error
-Boot back into Bootloader
-Flash TWRP- http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/m8/...2.7.0.2-m8.img
(fastboot flash recovery recovery.img)
-Boot into Recovery

IMPORTANT!!!!!!
-Wipe Data, Factory Reset, Advanced Wipe-Wipe System, Data, Cache
-Reboot Recovery
-Restore or Flash a Sense Rom

Reactions: sykoj82

ThePedigree

Apr 21, 2014
HOW TO RETURN TO SENSE:

-Flash 1.54 Image- http://xdaforums.com/show...68&postcount=3
(fastboot oem rebootRUU, fastboot flash zip (whatever you name it).zip FLASH TWICE 1ST WILL FAIL )
-Boot Into OS
-Get Decrypt Error
-Boot back into Bootloader
-Flash TWRP- http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/m8/...2.7.0.2-m8.img
(fastboot flash recovery recovery.img)
-Boot into Recovery

IMPORTANT!!!!!!
-Wipe Data, Factory Reset, Advanced Wipe-Wipe System, Data, Cache
-Reboot Recovery
-Restore or Flash a Sense Rom

Thanks for your continued attention and generous efforts.

By "Boot into OS" do you mean simply reboot after the flash? I've done that and it shows the animated Google logo with the four squares of moving color. It seems to stay there for as long as I let the phone sit.

When does the Decrypt Error come into play?

Thank you!

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
Thanks for your continued attention and generous efforts.

By "Boot into OS" do you mean simply reboot after the flash? I've done that and it shows the animated Google logo with the four squares of moving color. It seems to stay there for as long as I let the phone sit.

When does the Decrypt Error come into play?

Thank you!

Fastboot reboot

Also if that doesn't work, try wiping everything with Philz recovery

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

ThePedigree

Apr 21, 2014
Fastboot reboot

Also if that doesn't work, try wiping everything with Philz recovery

Just to clarify.... after flashing ROM I simply "fastboot reboot". How long (approx) should I wait and watch the Google logo before I assume things didn't work? Is more than 10 minutes normal?

Thanks much!

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
Less than 3 mins. If nothing change recoveries and start the process over. Try Virtuous rom fresh flash

dipole

Sep 1, 2010
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Less than 3 mins. If nothing change recoveries and start the process over. Try Virtuous rom fresh flash

Charlie, just curious, I'm happy with GPE conversion, but with your instructions are you saying that you reset the partitions back to sense? Or are you simply forcing the sense ROMS to use the GPE partitioning scheme?

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
Charlie, just curious, I'm happy with GPE conversion, but with your instructions are you saying that you reset the partitions back to sense? Or are you simply forcing the sense ROMS to use the GPE partitioning scheme?

Putting the partitions back where they belong if you want to go back to sense.

Top Liked Posts