Omni 4.4.4. on my Acer a500...Sweet!

Search This thread

ctiger

Oct 22, 2008
the ability to set the permission for apps is a great feature!!!!!!!!! But that rom doesn't work for me. crashes too much for many of my apps.

shortbreads

Jun 30, 2014
I installed this ROM yesterday and really like it so far, I was going to post a thanks in the thread however I don't have a high enough post count so if the dev see this thanks:good:

I wish 4.4 had tablet UI though, I hate seeing the navbar on the desktop/home screen. If anybody knows how to get tablet UI on kitkat I'd really appreciate it.

deryckmeister

Nov 10, 2013
This rom is running great on my acer a500. Almost everything works right off the bat. So I can only only point out some small issues and possible work arounds.

Backup your current rom first, always! .This version of the omni rom installed well on my second try. The first try resulted in loss of root. Needed to properly wipe cache and davik cache and format data.

The lack of boot animation, got me the first time. So as the op says, wait and the rom will load. The smart launcher interface is nice.
Netflix and Youtube works right away.
Chrome Browsers don't play videos. "Lightening" browser does. You have to click on the video and then select full screen icon. Press play and it works. Even for PBS videos etc.
There is no video recorder app so anyone with a good suggestion please let me know and I can try that.
Audio recorder works.
Location works.
By the way...Tablet UI is dead, some of us really like the Tablet UI..

If you are having problems with any apps, you may need to have their cache and data cleaned. Sometimes you may have to reinstall the app. If you have apps that you want me to try, let me know and I can do that and provide feedback (please only the free versions that I can download to try :cowboy:.

As they say, once you're with omni you can never go back.

D.

P.S. Will post images later.

Last edited:

shortbreads

Jun 30, 2014
I'm having a little bit of lag, which seems to have been improved with lulzactive and setting the cpu to 1200 max as suggested in the build thread... I'd prefer not to overclock if it can he helped though. I had SOD with 4.4.2 as well which seems to have gone away when I flashed 4.4.4... so we'll see.

youtube works fine for me too.

Yeah, that's what I had been reading regarding tablet UI but was hoping someone has found a way to implement it.

I'm successfully using moonshine icons with nova launcher by changing the icon pack in nova launcher, not launching the moonshine icon app which always stops working.

Boot animation works for me, I'm not sure why that is...

Last edited:

deryckmeister

Nov 10, 2013
I'm having a little bit of lag, which seems to have been improved with lulzactive and setting the cpu to 1200 max as suggested in the build thread... I'd prefer not to overclock if it can he helped though. I had SOD with 4.4.2 as well which seems to have gone away when I flashed 4.4.4... so we'll see.

youtube works fine for me too.

Yeah, that's what I had been reading regarding tablet UI but was hoping someone has found a way to implement it.

I'm successfully using moonshine icons with nova launcher by changing the icon pack in nova launcher, not launching the moonshine icon app which always stops working.

Boot animation works for me, I'm not sure why that is...

I am having no lags. I use interactive and sio at 1200/456. I use nova launcher with the Samsung galaxy s4 HD theme. Works well for me. No lags.

D.

mdlsp8

Jul 7, 2014
Great work!!

I am having no lags. I use interactive and sio at 1200/456. I use nova launcher with the Samsung galaxy s4 HD theme. Works well for me. No lags.

D.

Yesterday I installed the ROM and I have been testing it during the day (a really intensive working day) The performance of my A500 has been fantastic since the installation. Even more when I changed the sio to the values recommended by deryckmeister (I was also using nova). All goes smooth!

Thank you very much to all the people involved in these projects...you are doing an incredible job!

deryckmeister

Nov 10, 2013
Yesterday I installed the ROM and I have been testing it during the day (a really intensive working day) The performance of my A500 has been fantastic since the installation. Even more when I changed the sio to the values recommended by deryckmeister (I was also using nova). All goes smooth!

Thank you very much to all the people involved in these projects...you are doing an incredible job!

That is great news. All the thanks goes to the developers/testers both here at XDA and at Thor's for the many tools and tweaks and helpful suggestions.

rapco

Aug 10, 2014
Panamá
I installed this ROM yesterday and really like it so far, I was going to post a thanks in the thread however I don't have a high enough post count so if the dev see this thanks:good:

I wish 4.4 had tablet UI though, I hate seeing the navbar on the desktop/home screen. If anybody knows how to get tablet UI on kitkat I'd really appreciate it.

Question. How much time did it took to load the first time?

Fanarkle

Aug 10, 2014
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 6
bootloader/recovery version?

I am currently running the CyanogenMod port on my A500 but ever since upgrading my phone to KK 4.4.4 I really wanted to try it on my tablet. What bootloader and recovery did you guys have when you installed OmniRom? I have Skrilax_CZ v8 and I was wondering if I should go to v9 before flashing CWM 6.0.4.5 and Omni. Here is what I currently have:

Acer Iconia A500
Kernel: 3.1.10-digetx-thor-4.4micro
Skrilax_CZ Bootloader v8 0.03.14-MUL
ClockworkMod Recovery 5.5.0.x Thor 1.7.3

Thanks in advance. I am backing up now and will report back after flashing.

P.S. - Can I install my own custom boot animation after everything is set up?

deryckmeister

Nov 10, 2013
I am currently running the CyanogenMod port on my A500 but ever since upgrading my phone to KK 4.4.4 I really wanted to try it on my tablet. What bootloader and recovery did you guys have when you installed OmniRom? I have Skrilax_CZ v8 and I was wondering if I should go to v9 before flashing CWM 6.0.4.5 and Omni. Here is what I currently have:

Acer Iconia A500

This is what I have:
A500
Skrilax_CZ v8
Thor's a500 version of TWRP v2.7 Recovery.

About changing the boot animation it is possible, the developers can tell you more.

D.

Reactions: Fanarkle

Fanarkle

Aug 10, 2014
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 6
This is what I have:
A500
Skrilax_CZ v8

About changing the boot animation it is possible, the developers can tell you more.

D.

Thanks, yesterday I said what the hell and just went for it. I mean, I had everything backed up and have been able to recover this tablet from a (near) bricked state using command line before so I wasn't that worried about it. Anyway, I flashed CWM 6.0.4.5 and then OmniRom Light and everything has been working good since then. I tried using a boot animation changer by JRummy but it didn't take, so I will have to look more into that. Otherwise, I am LOVING this ROM!

The reason I asked about Skrilax_CZ v9 was that it had given be troubles in the past. I tried upgrading to it but had issues with it not booting past the bootloader so I went back to v8. I don't think I need any of the v9 features anyway.

deryckmeister

Nov 10, 2013
Thanks, yesterday I said what the hell and just went for it. I mean, I had everything backed up and have been able to recover this tablet from a (near) bricked state using command line before so I wasn't that worried about it. Anyway, I flashed CWM 6.0.4.5 and then OmniRom Light and everything has been working good since then. I tried using a boot animation changer by JRummy but it didn't take, so I will have to look more into that. Otherwise, I am LOVING this ROM!

The reason I asked about Skrilax_CZ v9 was that it had given be troubles in the past. I tried upgrading to it but had issues with it not booting past the bootloader so I went back to v8. I don't think I need any of the v9 features anyway.

I did find the same thing with v9. v8 is great and works for me very well also.

On another note, if you use the latest Netflix build, do you find that sometimes it just crashes and causes an immediate reboot? Not sure what triggers it as it is random.

D.

jksmith0011

Mar 31, 2011
Thanks...for the tips !!!

This is what I have:
A500
Skrilax_CZ v9
- TWRP v2.1.3 Primary Recovery (<5MB)
- TWRP v2.6.3.0 2nd Recovery (<8MB)
Omni 4.4.4.20150210 (CM-11)

So far, so good... No problem found, except AnTuTu v 5.7.1 just died (whenever I try to check the Benchmark)...!!!

halsgate

Aug 29, 2013
I have been using this firmware for some time it has the odd glitch but is mostly stable and has doubled my battery life :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Acer Iconia A500

This is what I have:
    A500
    Skrilax_CZ v8

D.