A Friendly Reminder From The Mods Regarding Newcomers and Threads in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Prawesome

Sep 26, 2011
Error 404- Not found
Ermmmm, reiterating the rules? I'll give you an example. Yesterday, few mods posted in the frat, which is not the problem at all. I bet there were few more watching it. We shared few jokes about them and moved on to what we normally do there, friendly trolling of each other. I make a massive post of emoticons that crashes Tapatalk for people reading it (guys that frequent said thread), for lulz. They get the lulz and it'll be over as soon as page rolls over. Result? I'm banned for 6h for spamming forums with no warning or explanation.
That was a wtf moment. So I have a record of a ban for nothing now. Next time I inadvertently do something against the rules (if it happens) someone who doesn't know me will see previous history and will just ban me again without thinking much about it.
Mods that visit ot ever so often know what's going on here, and somehow never had problems with it. All of the sudden things change but explanation is that nothing has changed. Do you understand why people are annoyed and don't understand what's going on? It's quite a proportional response.
Either change the rules, get rid of ot or just let it be and let the fine mods like yourself, M_T_M and others do what they've been doing rather well for a long time.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Damn right..
Mods who are non-OT regulars will unknowingly destroy this place. Everyone who frequents the frat know about the misunderstanding that took place there 2 days ago. OT-regular mods can catch the drift but the other mods are not like that. It was just a simple joke and it became a huge issue. I am not blaming anyone in here or anything for that matter but I am just trying to make my point here..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mark manning

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee
Staff member
Apr 7, 2010
Nusquam et ubique
Well, hang around long enough and soon you'll start getting banned for trolling here in off topic. Especially with the attitude some moderators around here carry with them. They say it's a public forum but they don't want to listen to the public.

Have fun with your friends and start out with courtesy to newcomers. Once they understand that if you joke around with them it is only a joke, then have your fun with them. If you guys were able to see the countless PMs we get from people that feel utterly bashed, put down, and ran out of off topic you would understand more. The only way the fun will end is if you choose it to. With anything in life there is a right way and a wrong way to do things.

Though for an off topic section, the strictness is too damn high. I've been here only one year and you've been a moderator here for more than that, so I won't argue with you, but the time I joined, this place was truly enjoyable. Now, the number of useless threads has increased drastically and that is what has lead to the increase in trolling. If these threads would not have been allowed to be created in the first place, the trolling would not have increased. Why not keep <10 posters to only posting in OT and not allow them to create a new thread here? Reduce the crap, trolling reduces too. :)

Not picking on you mate just wanted to address your points. This isn't the place to discuss where someone with less then 10 posts can post. If you want to have that discussion start a topic in the about-xda forum

Ermmmm, reiterating the rules? I'll give you an example. Yesterday, few mods posted in the frat, which is not the problem at all. I bet there were few more watching it. We shared few jokes about them and moved on to what we normally do there, friendly trolling of each other. I make a massive post of em madeoticons that crashes Tapatalk for people reading it (guys that frequent said thread), for lulz. They get the lulz and it'll be over as soon as page rolls over. Result? I'm banned for 6h for spamming forums with no warning or explanation.
That was a wtf moment. So I have a record of a ban for nothing now. Next time I inadvertently do something against the rules (if it happens) someone who doesn't know me will see previous history and will just ban me again without thinking much about it.
Mods that visit ot ever so often know what's going on here, and somehow never had problems with it. All of the sudden things change but explanation is that nothing has changed. Do you understand why people are annoyed and don't understand what's going on? It's quite a proportional response.
Either change the rules, get rid of ot or just let it be and let the fine mods like yourself, M_T_M and others do what they've been doing rather well for a long time.

We are not going to talk about any decisions made by a moderator. If you think you have an issue with one of them PM the Moderator Committee account or anyone of the MC members. People are annoyed because they feel OT is separate from the rest of the forum which it is not.

As was mentioned here, gtfo noob is usually the last resort when someone just refuses to leave..noone gets that the first time. IB4L is not in any way flaming and usually if a sensible/regular member of OT posts a "ib4l" he/she must have also reported the post. Also, regarding trolling in new threads...this is OT.. you surely cant expect that someone gets a red carpet welcome to trolls' land.

Also, +1 to both quoted posts.

Sent from my N4 using T4.

Right there is what the issue is. No one needs to leave anywhere. If you want a private place away from people like that create a private invite only social club. Otherwise people can post in your thread if the so choose to.

This thread shows how mainstream XDA has become...
Even Off Topic is now PG-13.
I for one am of the opinion that new members have no place on OT until they've actually fulfilled the purpose of being an XDA member... Which is participating in a phone/development related discussion.
Please make OT a walled garden like your RC forums. You'll see a lot of improvement in post quality once this is implemented.

Oh, and by the way, INB4 the inevitable lock. :p

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Same answer for the post avove... This isn't the place to discuss where someone with less then 10 posts can post. If you want to have that discussion start a topic in the about-xda forum

Well, I don't think it's against the rules but I mean, it's basically common courtesy and EQ as older and more experienced members (yes, two things which are so rare they're considered a super power here in the OT :silly:). I mean, why prove you're just as immature as the noobs who open new useless threads ? I mean, what does "GTFO n00b" really do ? Does it ban them ? Nope. Does it knock some sense into their thick skulls ? Obviously not. Does it prevent future, similar threads from popping up ? You can bet your socks they don't :rolleyes:. All it does is it rustles their jimmies and all of a sudden some noob vs troll war erupts and all that comes out of it is a few infractions, a possible ban, erased posts and a locked thread.

I myself like trolling a good thread but to be honest I refrain most of the time because I find it's utterly pointless. Sure, people will see how funny you are, but let's take some time to think about the mods and the crap we're putting them through :rolleyes:. Plus, just think of all that bandwidth wasted with all those pointless arguments :eek:

Well said, but trolling is against the riles. Rule 2.3 to be exact

2.3 Flaming / Lack of respect: XDA is about sharing which does not involve virtual yelling (flaming) or rudeness. Flaming or posting with a lack of respect is not acceptable. Treat new members the way you would like to have been treated when you were a new member. When dealing with any member, provide them with guidance, advice and instruction when you can, showing respect and courtesy. Never post in a demanding, argumentative, disrespectful or self-righteous manner.

One line in that post really stands out.

"If they don't give the trolls a reason to troll, they won't"

I will say this, most people who come here and then get offended invite trouble by making useless threads. I am not saying that newcomers shouldn't come to OT or anything. I am saying that newcomers should have a read through and look for threads without just blatantly making another stupid thread(this place is full of stupid threads now anyway, bar few). If they go on and make stupid threads like that, then they kinda deserve the pony/spiderman memes they get.

I have seen people come to OT and then create 4-5 threads, all random and useless. These people deserve it for their carelessness/stupidity tbh

Just my 2 cents..

I dare you to post the things people post in a duplicate OT thread in other forums on Xda. If someone did the would be punished and they would know they deserved it as things like that are not allowed. Xda isn't two sites, there is not Xda then Xda OT. This is one site with one set of rules. When a member doesn't search and creates a pointless thread report it and as with any other forum on here the mods will deal with it appropriately.

jRi0T68

Jan 28, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Simple question with no judgement:
Will the moderator staff also be held accountable to the "no trolling" standard, or is it like how cops can drive how they want, cause an accident (on duty or off) and never be at fault? We've all seen mods troll with their closing or Spiderman pics, etc.

-No longer accidental, just Jeremy. F.cfb
[Guide] Headphone/Earphone Buying

Archer

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jul 9, 2008
Manchester
Google Pixel 8 Pro

The rules are fine. There has simply been a request from this forum's mod team that they be respected more than we've seen of late, and example threads were given. Also, I appreciate you saying that we've been doing rather well at what we do - it really is genuinely nice to hear feedback (as long as it's positive :p).

We just want to cater for as many people as possible, and I personally don't see why a member that's never been to OT before should get a ton of spiderman memes posted when they're asking what kind of dog they should get (an imaginary thread - I might make it later).

I'll say again what I said above - only the people that are going to go against the requests in the OP should be concerned about this. For everyone else it's just a notice.

K.A.

Apr 4, 2012
Have fun with your friends and start out with courtesy to newcomers. Once they understand that if you joke around with them it is only a joke, then have your fun with them. If you guys were able to see the countless PMs we get from people that feel utterly bashed, put down, and ran out of off topic you would understand more. The only way the fun will end is if you choose it to. With anything in life there is a right way and a wrong way to do things.

Not picking on you mate just wanted to address your points. This isn't the place to discuss where someone with less then 10 posts can post. If you want to have that discussion start a topic in the about-xda forum

We are not going to talk about any decisions made by a moderator. If you think you have an issue with one of them PM the Moderator Committee account or anyone of the MC members. People are annoyed because they feel OT is separate from the rest of the forum which it is not.

Right there is what the issue is. No one needs to leave anywhere. If you want a private place away from people like that create a private invite only social club. Otherwise people can post in your thread if the so choose to.

Same answer for the post avove... This isn't the place to discuss where someone with less then 10 posts can post. If you want to have that discussion start a topic in the about-xda forum

2.3 Flaming / Lack of respect: XDA is about sharing which does not involve virtual yelling (flaming) or rudeness. Flaming or posting with a lack of respect is not acceptable. Treat new members the way you would like to have been treated when you were a new member. When dealing with any member, provide them with guidance, advice and instruction when you can, showing respect and courtesy. Never post in a demanding, argumentative, disrespectful or self-righteous manner.

I dare you to post the things people post in a duplicate OT thread in other forums on Xda. If someone did the would be punished and they would know they deserved it as things like that are not allowed. Xda isn't two sites, there is not Xda then Xda OT. This is one site with one set of rules. When a member doesn't search and creates a pointless thread report it and as with any other forum on here the mods will deal with it appropriately.
I was not exactly welcomed nicely too here in OT, but i knew it was how things were around here, so I took it in my stride and now I have no problem.

I am not talking about exclusive threads. If it's a simple "Hi" or " I'm new here, ssup people" most people wouldn't mind. But there are some specific people who come in just to upset the others. Those are the ones who get treated like that.

About the 10 posts, new members are usually ones with <10 posts, so I guess it does pertain to the topic here.

Also, Flaming is not trolling. There's a huge difference.

mark manning

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee
Staff member
Apr 7, 2010
Nusquam et ubique
I was not exactly welcomed nicely too here in OT, but i knew it was how things were around here, so I took it in my stride and now I have no problem.

I am not talking about exclusive threads. If it's a simple "Hi" or " I'm new here, ssup people" most people wouldn't mind. But there are some specific people who come in just to upset the others. Those are the ones who get treated like that.

About the 10 posts, new members are usually ones with <10 posts, so I guess it does pertain to the topic here.

Also, Flaming is not trolling. There's a huge difference.

Ad I said before not the place to talk about 10 posters :)

You might of know what to expect but most people do not. Other members should have the same peace of mind when posting in OT as they do anywhere else on XDA.

Trolling can most def be flamming. Perception is everything and just because a small few here in OT see it one way doesn't mean the other 5 million see it another way

Sent from my Nexus 10

K.A.

Apr 4, 2012
Ad I said before not the place to talk about 10 posters :)

You might of know what to expect but most people do not. Other members should have the same peace of mind when posting in OT as they do anywhere else on XDA.

Trolling can most def be flamming. Perception is everything and just because a small few here in OT see it one way doesn't mean the other 5 million see it another way

Sent from my Nexus 10
I am not talking about the 10 posters exclusively, I'm mentioning it with reference to the topic in hand -_-

Sure, but a LITTLE reading, like anywhere on XDA, can give you a good idea of how things are run here.

Also, since we're talking useless threads, why aren't these closed yet? What purpose do these serve?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2243622

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=783077

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1514142

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1850717

Seraz007

Nov 30, 2012
Whatcha looking at?
I am not talking about the 10 posters exclusively, I'm mentioning it with reference to the topic in hand -_-

Sure, but a LITTLE reading, like anywhere on XDA, can give you a good idea of how things are run here.

Also, since we're talking useless threads, why aren't these closed yet? What purpose do these serve?

i personally am a big fan of those threads
its off-topic and it doesnt always need to serve a purpose

Sure ya some threads are absolutely useless like the "How to shave your legs" thread :laugh:
most noobs make threads which are already there :confused:

K.A.

Apr 4, 2012
i personally am a big fan of those threads
its off-topic and it doesnt always need to serve a purpose

Sure ya some threads are absolutely useless like the "How to shave your legs" thread :laugh:
most noobs make threads which are already there :confused:
Especially the ban the person thread. It's not even a proper game.

mark manning

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee
Staff member
Apr 7, 2010
Nusquam et ubique

If some people had their way OT wouldn't exist period. This is a developer forum and there is no need for topics like that is what they would say. Personally, I enjoy ot and understand why it is around. Tbh there is pointless threads all across xda that I don't agree with. You want to know what I do about them..... I ignore them. It saves me a lot of headaches to worry only about what I like.

Sent from my Nexus 10

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
The rules are fine. There has simply been a request from this forum's mod team that they be respected more than we've seen of late, and example threads were given. Also, I appreciate you saying that we've been doing rather well at what we do - it really is genuinely nice to hear feedback (as long as it's positive :p).

We just want to cater for as many people as possible, and I personally don't see why a member that's never been to OT before should get a ton of spiderman memes posted when they're asking what kind of dog they should get (an imaginary thread - I might make it later).

I'll say again what I said above - only the people that are going to go against the requests in the OP should be concerned about this. For everyone else it's just a notice.

I'll make it a point to be positive then, lol.

You guys probably think we don't agree with the OP here. Wrong, we do. I and quite a few other ot regulars do, that's a fact. What we don't agree with, is how all of the sudden there is a lot of involvement in the old threads that have some sort of the system in place, let's call it "housekeeping", where people know each other well and are doing nothing different nor anything against the rules. You've hammered what we can do and what we can't do into our heads looooong ago. Let's just agree on such a simple thing like not flooding new useless threads but leaving it to you to sort out? You know, all it takes is a bit of communication and a courtesy question. Or leading question. Big part of my job is to make people do things the way I need them to be done, so I'm talking from experience. Peoples skills are not the strongest point of xda as a system.

Mark, you remind me of a new manager that was employed from outside, not risen in the ranks, has no experience but wants to make a name for himself. Don't get offended, just offering view from the side.

M_T_M

Troll King & Retired Señor Mod - I Regret Nothing!
Apr 14, 2009
Texas
Simple question with no judgement:
Will the moderator staff also be held accountable to the "no trolling" standard, or is it like how cops can drive how they want, cause an accident (on duty or off) and never be at fault? We've all seen mods troll with their closing or Spiderman pics, etc.

-No longer accidental, just Jeremy. F.cfb
[Guide] Headphone/Earphone Buying

You are taking this too far mate. This type of posts along the ones that keep complaining about how serious this thread is should stop IMHO.

You know what we are talking about when we say "excessive trolling", right? And if you ever see any of us do that...report us to the MC.

Cheers,

K.A.

Apr 4, 2012
If some people had their way OT wouldn't exist period. This is a developer forum and there is no need for topics like that is what they would say. Personally, I enjoy ot and understand why it is around. Tbh there is pointless threads all across xda that I don't agree with. You want to know what I do about them..... I ignore them. It saves me a lot of headaches to worry only about what I like.

Sent from my Nexus 10
I do too. I really haven't understood the purpose of those threads but I've never mentioned it too whenever the topic comes up. I enjoyed OT back when I joined. Now, as was mentioned...it's moving on to the PG13 era to accommodate more people and...
It's just that now, some of those sissies are in a position where they can make their opinions heard.

And the administration for some reason is bending over backwards to please them.

I'm not saying this with reference to just this thread, but with reference to the whole situation all over XDA.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Prawesome

Sep 26, 2011
Error 404- Not found

No thanks. There's a place where everything goes. I believe fun should be contained in OT. For example, Why would i go and post random memes in the feedback/requests thread? It makes no point.
Look, I am not being a "rebel" here or against you guys just because I want to or anything. I am also not saying that OT should be mod-free bla bla bla.. I just hate how OT is being "policed" now and how its all directed at the wrong places, like frat and gli threads which are generally really peaceful. I am with you guys on how people post useless crap all around OT and I am with you on putting an end to that and will extend a helping hand to that. I just hate how its directed at the wrong places and the wrong people. Its all getting directed at the OT regulars here who cause no harm and don't really go around posting pony memes.

conantroutman

Retired Senior Moderator - XDA Portal Team
Dec 10, 2009
No thanks. There's a place where everything goes. I believe fun should be contained in OT. For example, Why would i go and post random memes in the feedback/requests thread? It makes no point.
Look, I am not being a "rebel" here or against you guys just because I want to or anything. I am also not saying that OT should be mod-free bla bla bla.. I just hate how OT is being "policed" now and how its all directed at the wrong places, like frat and gli threads which are generally really peaceful. I am with you guys on how people post useless crap all around OT and I am with you on putting an end to that and will extend a helping hand to that. I just hate how its directed at the wrong places and the wrong people. Its all getting directed at the OT regulars here who cause no harm and don't really go around posting pony memes.

The posting of crap will never stop because this is an ot forum, thats the place where people post crap. There is no way to stop it.

What will stop is people acting like idiots and swanning around as if they own the place. If these crap threads receive no posts then they'll be off the first page in an hour and nobody needs to ever acknowledge them ever again. Problem solved.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium

dexter93

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 1, 2010
So.. All this thread and drama to state the obvious.

OT people should stop trolling newcomers to death
Minimize the flooding in new threads

Ok.. But you forget something

1. Stupid and immature people have no place in OT. No matter how you try to make OT stricter towards the rules, you need to fix that first. Post count limits? Stopping them from opening new, useless threads? Dunno. That's up to the mod team to decide

2. Posts will have to stop going missing without a reason. Specially on the threads of the OT regulars, like frat or gli. There have been many reports on that

3. Certain mods have the feeling that we're a bunch of 6year-olds that need constant moderating and tight boundaries. We aren't sheep and you aren't shepherds. Chill out.

You gave a reminder regarding newcomers in OT. We are not the ones who need strict moderation in OT, the newcomers are. We're regulars.. we know what's going on here and how stuff work.

They don't

ext109

Jul 19, 2010
So.. All this thread and drama to state the obvious.

OT people should stop trolling newcomers to death
Minimize the flooding in new threads

Ok.. But you forget something

1. Stupid and immature people have no place in OT. No matter how you try to make OT stricter towards the rules, you need to fix that first. Post count limits? Stopping them from opening new, useless threads? Dunno. That's up to the mod team to decide

2. Posts will have to stop going missing without a reason. Specially on the threads of the OT regulars, like frat or gli. There have been many reports on that

3. Certain mods have the feeling that we're a bunch of 6year-olds that need constant moderating and tight boundaries. We aren't sheep and you aren't shepherds. Chill out.

You gave a reminder regarding newcomers in OT. We are not the ones who need strict moderation in OT, the newcomers are. We're regulars.. we know what's going on here and how stuff work.

They don't

Agree with #2
Over at the brony thread pages have been disappearing for no reason too..
I wonder why :/

sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 (VIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Everybody,

We would like to remind everyone in this forum that even though this is the off topic section and we like to have fun and joke around, that the forum rules still apply here. As of late there has been a lot of "trolling" of new members, or newcomers to OT, and especially new threads posted here in the off topic section. This is something that needs to stop. Here at XDA we are an open forum and any member is more than welcome to post where they choose to (assuming of course that they aren't spamming up a dev thread with questions etc etc). As with any forum if you see a thread that needs to be closed use the report button. Also, as with any other forum unless you have something to contribute to the topic of the thread in a friendly way please do not post in that thread. As cliche as this sounds it remains true. "If you have nothing nice to say it is wise to say nothing at all."

What may seem as a harmless joke to you may come off as rude or offensive to a member that doesn't know you or understand the fact that you mean what you say as joke and nothing more. If you want to "troll" stick to joking around with your friends that way no one mis-interprets your posts as an attack on them personally. Members of XDA deserve to have peace of mind when posting in OT and at the moment they do not have that luxury. Violators of this rule will be considered spamming and your posts will be deleted without any prior notice. Repeat offenders will be dealt with according to XDA rules.

To give you some recent examples of why were are saying this please look at the threads linked below

[Q] Chair Type
    The Longest Sentence
    How Do You Shave Your Legs
    iOS7 Discussion
    Girls on Xda
    The last one was by far the worst!

I know this seems like we may be picking on you but please understand this is not the case. This is the type of behavior we expect from each and every member on XDA no matter the forum. To all members who do choose to violate this rule, if we have to, the moderation team will hand down official warnings and infractions or even bans if necessary. Remember this is the last thing we want to do. We only want anyone and everyone that wants to join in on the fun of the Off Topic section to get their chance to do so without feeling like they are not welcomed in the section. Here at XDA we are all one big family so lets act like it.:angel:

So lets sum this up for everyone. These are not suggestions but these are the rules here on XDA!!!

No more "IBTL" posts.... instead please use the report button. That is what it is for :)

No more "GTFO NOOB" posts... if you ignore them they will leave you in peace.

This is a public forum and therefore all threads are public too. You may not decide who can post in a given thread, if you want a private members club start a social group.

No more spamming/trolling new threads! Only post if you have something to contribute to the topic. Anyone who wants a chance at having a thread in OT deserves a chance to have one of their own and its not up to you all to decide what stays and what goes :highfive:

Cheers Mates :victory:

The Moderation Team

@crachel
    @Neo
    @vanessaem
    @snickler
    @Perseus
    @jackeagle
    @Heisenberg
    @OfficerJimLahey
    @Droidriven

xdalogo-1.png