trading my sprint gs4 for N5 couple quick questions

Search This thread

en11gma

Jan 18, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S20 / S20+ / S20 Ultra
does the original owner need to un-register it with google so he wont have the power to lock my device?

the n5 is the black 16GB model and hes throwing in $75 do you think that's a good deal?
im used to all my Samsung stuff on the S4 (I do like TW) but I like the hardware inside the N5

anyhow I have about 1hr so the 1st question is most important and the last I guess is subjective but I feel like this is best place to ask it

thanks

vanisleryan

Oct 24, 2011
As long as the phone is not blacklisted it should be good to go after you factory reset it. Which I assume you would do.
Secondly if you actually like touchwiz you may miss some features that it offers so you should probably play with a nexus 5 before you buy one. Nexus 5 is what is known as a vanilla android experience. Meaning all the bloat and crap that slows the device down is gone. Fwiw I had an S3 before my Nexus 5 and I'm very happy with it, but no matter what anyone tells you cell phones are always going to be personal preference when it comes to what you like.
GL

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
does the original owner need to un-register it with google so he wont have the power to lock my device?

the n5 is the black 16GB model and hes throwing in $75 do you think that's a good deal?
im used to all my Samsung stuff on the S4 (I do like TW) but I like the hardware inside the N5

anyhow I have about 1hr so the 1st question is most important and the last I guess is subjective but I feel like this is best place to ask it

thanks

First question answered above but If you love TW i think you will be dissapointed with Vanilla AOSP stock as it has mainly the bare essentials build in. A custom rom or stock with Xposed and Gravitybox will liven it up though and adds more fuctionality. Many TW features however are not available.

Last edited:

en11gma

Jan 18, 2013
First question answered above but If you love TW i think you will be dissapointed with Vanilla AOSP stock as its has mainly the bare essentials build in. A custom rom or stock with Xposed and Gravitybox will liven it up though and adds more fuctionality.

i think maybe the trade for the n5 along with the $75 helps out.
i really think in the end i want a note 3 but maybe this will get me close as far as selling it out right and adding money and in mean time maybe give me a new device to play with

how can i tell if its black listed?

yea i like the TW ui. usually i root and debloat or just get a cust rom that is debloated already.

how can there be no sd card slot?
lol

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
i think maybe the trade for the n5 along with the $75 helps out.
i really think in the end i want a note 3 but maybe this will get me close as far as selling it out right and adding money and in mean time maybe give me a new device to play with

how can i tell if its black listed?

yea i like the TW ui. usually i root and debloat or just get a cust rom that is debloated already.

how can there be no sd card slot?
lol

Google hates external sdcards, just insert your microsimcard in the N5 and if data and telephony works its probably not blacklisted. Maybe you can run a imei check here http://www.imei.info/ or call your phone company for a check.

en11gma

Jan 18, 2013
id he bought it from radio shack and I think his carrier is sprint
he was gonna by ms gs4 originally but instead he bought the n5 new
now he wants to trade and will add $75 cash so I wonder if its under contract or how that works
is it an unlocked phone really when you buy it from radio-shack for sprint (they do sell sprint there)

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
id he bought it from radio shack and I think his carrier is sprint
he was gonna by ms gs4 originally but instead he bought the n5 new
now he wants to trade and will add $75 cash so I wonder if its under contract or how that works
is it an unlocked phone really when you buy it from radio-shack for sprint (they do sell sprint there)

Nexus`s are usualy unlocked, also if they come from carriers.

Raistlin1

Oct 1, 2010
I have the N5 and I just got my wife a slightly used S4 (Sprint) and I have to say that I like the S4 a lot. Do I like it better than my N5? No, I prefer the N5 but only slightly, the S4 is really a nice phone and feels great in your hands as well.

When I was setting up the S4 for her I found myself contemplating keeping that for me and giving her my N5 but that thought quickly left my mind. Waiting on what the S5 will bring before I even think about moving from my N5.

If the N5 is going to be used on Sprint call them up to make sure you can activate it on Sprint, give them the number inside the battery compartment and they will check for you.

en11gma

Jan 18, 2013
just got back with the n5
the s4 i was trading him had the wrong prl (forgot to flash that back to sprint before i left) so i looked like a dipshiat in radio-shack on the phone with customer service (they are saying looks all good) and we are looking at the radio signal going ...where is it
lol

his wife had an s4 on sprint so i looked at her prl and looked at mine and new right away i messed up.
anyhow i ran home flashed the correct prl and boom the phone is working as it should and we did wind up trading phones and getting the $75 in cash

now im home and charging the n5 and am about ready to do some research on different roms

i did like samsung touchwiz ui so is there anything kind of similar?

i have this n5 listed on craigslist as i do really want a note 3 in the end and to my understanding the one to get is a sprint note 3 but thats another subject

gonna try the 2 roms listed above
this is gonna be weird. nothing to unlock i can just flash any 4.4 rom?

OuncE718

Feb 27, 2010
DC by way of BK
just got back with the n5
the s4 i was trading him had the wrong prl (forgot to flash that back to sprint before i left) so i looked like a dipshiat in radio-shack on the phone with customer service (they are saying looks all good) and we are looking at the radio signal going ...where is it
lol

his wife had an s4 on sprint so i looked at her prl and looked at mine and new right away i messed up.
anyhow i ran home flashed the correct prl and boom the phone is working as it should and we did wind up trading phones and getting the $75 in cash

now im home and charging the n5 and am about ready to do some research on different roms

i did like samsung touchwiz ui so is there anything kind of similar?

i have this n5 listed on craigslist as i do really want a note 3 in the end and to my understanding the one to get is a sprint note 3 but thats another subject

gonna try the 2 roms listed above
this is gonna be weird. nothing to unlock i can just flash any 4.4 rom?

In the meantime you can type in "Touchwiz Launcher" in the Play Store and you'll see a variety of Touchwiz replicas.

The Nexus 5 honestly isn't for everyone. I love it but you may not since you said you love Touchwiz. Touchwiz comes with tons of features out of the box but to me most of them are gimmicks that are cool to show off to friends. I had the Note 3. It was cool but I was missing Vanilla Android so I got the N5.

sent from my neXus 5

en11gma

Jan 18, 2013
In the meantime you can type in "Touchwiz Launcher" in the Play Store and you'll see a variety of Touchwiz replicas.

The Nexus 5 honestly isn't for everyone. I love it but you may not since you said you love Touchwiz. Touchwiz comes with tons of features out of the box but to me most of them are gimmicks that are cool to show off to friends. I had the Note 3. It was cool but I was missing Vanilla Android so I got the N5.

sent from my neXus 5

you explained that perfectly but i do like tech specs like this hardware and i do like to game
i was thinking about trying that with the n5 connected to my 52" lcd samsung dumb-tv.
i like that side too of the actual hardware and messing with drivers for xbox/ps3 controllers etc..

but you can strip / debloat the stock rom of touchwiz if you root or even get a tw custom rom so it not too bad.
as far as the extra feature gimmics 100% correct
even the ir blaster does work good but as far an actual remote control its way off. the app that they use for the menu of whats coming on next are pics of the shows in time slots and i do like that feature. its better then my mediacom tv-guide

i think i will have fun with this n5 while i have it and most likely get the note 3 mostly because of the bigger screen as my eyes really like it :)

debloat the hell out of that rom and prob try and sim-unlock which sucks because it dont work like it should (like it does with the N5)
omg this thing has a ton of RADIOS!!
what networks will it not work with (the guy i got it from said it wont work with verizon)
that could save the day in the end and i might keep it just for that

OuncE718

Feb 27, 2010
DC by way of BK
you explained that perfectly but i do like tech specs like this hardware and i do like to game
i was thinking about trying that with the n5 connected to my 52" lcd samsung dumb-tv.
i like that side too of the actual hardware and messing with drivers for xbox/ps3 controllers etc..

but you can strip / debloat the stock rom of touchwiz if you root or even get a tw custom rom so it not too bad.
as far as the extra feature gimmics 100% correct
even the ir blaster does work good but as far an actual remote control its way off. the app that they use for the menu of whats coming on next are pics of the shows in time slots and i do like that feature. its better then my mediacom tv-guide

i think i will have fun with this n5 while i have it and most likely get the note 3 mostly because of the bigger screen as my eyes really like it :)

debloat the hell out of that rom and prob try and sim-unlock which sucks because it dont work like it should (like it does with the N5)
omg this thing has a ton of RADIOS!!
what networks will it not work with (the guy i got it from said it wont work with verizon)
that could save the day in the end and i might keep it just for that

From what I've read it will work on Verizon but it depends on what location you are in. I'd call it a bust and just say it doesn't work since it doesn't function 100% like a Verizon phone.

Let's face it, most of us love the Nexus 5 for the speed, development and timely updates directly from Google. IDC what manufacturer makes the Nexus 5 I will always buy one. I'm not gonna lie, the Note 3 was a cool phone even with its gimmicky features.

Whenever I try to out do my dad (he has a Note 3) its a bit hard because he doesn't understand the behind the scenes features the Nexus 5 has and his favorite thing is, "but can your phone switch channels". Lol.

sent from my neXus 5

en11gma

Jan 18, 2013
From what I've read it will work on Verizon but it depends on what location you are in. I'd call it a bust and just say it doesn't work since it doesn't function 100% like a Verizon phone.

Let's face it, most of us love the Nexus 5 for the speed, development and timely updates directly from Google. IDC what manufacturer makes the Nexus 5 I will always buy one. I'm not gonna lie, the Note 3 was a cool phone even with its gimmicky features.

Whenever I try to out do my dad (he has a Note 3) its a bit hard because he doesn't understand the behind the scenes features the Nexus 5 has and his favorite thing is, "but can your phone switch channels". Lol.

sent from my neXus 5

im just now comparing the sph-l720 radios compared to this n5 (dont even know the model number) and i think the n5 has all frequencies in there. cant believe verizon isnt in that mess

OuncE718

Feb 27, 2010
DC by way of BK
im just now comparing the sph-l720 radios compared to this n5 (dont even know the model number) and i think the n5 has all frequencies in there. cant believe verizon isnt in that mess

The Nexus 5 fully supports all of the major US carriers except for Verizon. Verizon has always been left in the dust when it came to Nexus phones and I think its actually Verizon fault because of how strict they are. If Verizon officially had the Nexus 5 they would probably require the Nexus 5 to have their bloatware and software upgrades would have to go through them first and they'll test it for a month or 2 and then release it.

sent from my neXus 5