LTE Toggle?

Search This thread

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
does one exist that works for this phone? Everyone i try from the market takes me to a radio info page and it has a drop down and it automatically goes to GSM/lte auto mode regardless! Argh man i hate lte the speed is useless because of data caps and battery life is terrible!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA

brucegil

Aug 3, 2010
Birmingham
I think most people now create a second APN that avoids the LTE radio/network. They have to manually switch between the default and the custom APN. There are a few threads in the General section on how to do this. Of course, you want a toggle to do the switching for you. But you will need that second APN if I am not mistaken.

This may not meet your needs, but I use 2X Battery. It's main function is to turn off the data radio(s) when the phone is in the sleep mode. You can configure it to stay off for a short period of time when after coming out of sleep mode. You still receive calls, text messages, and maybe mail. I'm not sure about the last. With the paid version (2.99), you can have it go into airplane mode for a specified time range at night. If you have a need to check mail, Facebook, etc. while in sleep mode, this won't work for you.

But with 2X Battery, I am getting 24-36 hours from the standard battery, I suspect a heavy user might get 18+ hours if they can aford to have the radio off while the phone is asleep.

Reactions: Cor-master

slimslim

Oct 14, 2009
I noticed before that the battery drain on LTE was extreme when I had about one or two bars (weak signal). The extended battery solved this, and luckily I still have unlimited data.

Sent from my HTC Vivid via Tapatalk

Brand New

Dec 22, 2011
It would be awesome if someone could post their APN settings. I don't even have 3G in my area (lol Appalachian Mountains) it would be great to save battery. :D

brucegil

Aug 3, 2010
Birmingham
It would be awesome if someone could post their APN settings. I don't even have 3G in my area (lol Appalachian Mountains) it would be great to save battery. :D

There are tons of them in the General section. First, look in the General Information thread pinned at the top. Then, do a search for "APN settings." This will get you a number of articles where people have posted settings. You should read the comments as well to understand what the settings do. Note that you cannot edit the default PTA APN (AT&T). You have to add a new APN and then switch to it to go from AT&T's HSPA+/4G/LTE down to 3G or Edge

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
I searched the main forum and cannot find what I"m looking for. I did a google search and found someone with an Nitro HD on androidforums who posted some APN settings and I tried them and no luck, LTE signal doesn't go away, and a speed test shows ridiculous 40meg downloads on both apns.

EDIT: I just sent an e-mail to HTC developers about this. Seriously they need to patch it. How in the hell do they not have a switch to turn it off? I remember my captivate had a setting to use 2G networks only, we don't even have that it seems! Didn't the EVO have one to turn off WiMax?

Last edited:
Reactions: Brand New

brucegil

Aug 3, 2010
Birmingham
I searched the main forum and cannot find what I"m looking for. I did a google search and found someone with an Nitro HD on androidforums who posted some APN settings and I tried them and no luck, LTE signal doesn't go away, and a speed test shows ridiculous 40meg downloads on both apns.

EDIT: I just sent an e-mail to HTC developers about this. Seriously they need to patch it. How in the hell do they not have a switch to turn it off? I remember my captivate had a setting to use 2G networks only, we don't even have that it seems! Didn't the EVO have one to turn off WiMax?

As for as a toggle, the only thing I found on Play/Market were a few apps that appeared to be phone specific. No guarantee that they will work on the Vivid or will work with ICS. One Vivid user said he used LTE OnOff:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1480696&highlight=apn+settings&page=2

Here are some links to threads that contain APN settings. The first has AT&T and Rogers.

http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1385

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1338109&highlight=apn+settings

This thread came from someone who had an HTC Atrix on AT&T:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1149523

This may or may not help:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1593506&highlight=apn+settings

As I said earlier, the general suggestion I found was to create a second APN using one of the ones from the links above. The impression I got was that some of the folks were trying to get tethering to work.

Sorry I can't help you more.

jmone

Feb 13, 2007
FYI - If you are on a Telstra (Velocity) based ROM, you do have the following option (but I'd prefer a QM or Widget).

XxSHaDoWxSLaYeRxX

Apr 26, 2012
Houston
www.ps3hax.net
EVERYONE!! To disable LTE, S-OFF the device and SIM Unlock it with the method posted somewhere in the Vivid Forums. Then, Go to the hidden HTC Settings page and change it tto WCDMA ONLY it worked for me so ya good luck

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

btw when you reboot you'll have to do it again.. but other than that it good

nielp96

Sep 17, 2010
ovideo
Actually it works well with root and s off without sim lock just a side note....

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think most people now create a second APN that avoids the LTE radio/network. They have to manually switch between the default and the custom APN. There are a few threads in the General section on how to do this. Of course, you want a toggle to do the switching for you. But you will need that second APN if I am not mistaken.

This may not meet your needs, but I use 2X Battery. It's main function is to turn off the data radio(s) when the phone is in the sleep mode. You can configure it to stay off for a short period of time when after coming out of sleep mode. You still receive calls, text messages, and maybe mail. I'm not sure about the last. With the paid version (2.99), you can have it go into airplane mode for a specified time range at night. If you have a need to check mail, Facebook, etc. while in sleep mode, this won't work for you.

But with 2X Battery, I am getting 24-36 hours from the standard battery, I suspect a heavy user might get 18+ hours if they can aford to have the radio off while the phone is asleep.

FYI - If you are on a Telstra (Velocity) based ROM, you do have the following option (but I'd prefer a QM or Widget).
    EVERYONE!! To disable LTE, S-OFF the device and SIM Unlock it with the method posted somewhere in the Vivid Forums. Then, Go to the hidden HTC Settings page and change it tto WCDMA ONLY it worked for me so ya good luck

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

btw when you reboot you'll have to do it again.. but other than that it good