[Q] downgrade to HTC sense 4

Search This thread

Nichyun

Aug 28, 2014
Hello Everybody,

Im having a very frustrating experience. I just had my htc one x replaced by at&t after damaging the screen. I actually bought a new screen to put it on myself but when I was expressing nervousness about installing it (despite doing it fine before on a previous device) somebody else in my family called at&t and bought me a $99 replacement using the replacement plan as a present and a favor. It's the same exact physical phone as my old one, but things are different on it, and I don't like it. I figured out the issue is that the phone came shipped with HTC sense version of atleast 5 (found this by googling pics) while my old phone had 4. I like 4.. not 5.

Don't even get me started on why. Biggest thing is changing from 5 or 6 home pages to scroll through to only 3. I loved having the space. I never even used the app menu, haha.

Of course, looking it up now this seems to be a pain. Ive been sitting here for hours and this data is so hard to get through because of HTCs airheaded desicion to have 6 different phones with the same name. I feel like im going insane with contradictory info and google just not delivering due to the confusing names. I keep getting info for the desire x, too.

My main question is: I have an at&t htc one x and I need to downgrade to sense version 4. How do i do it, and can somebody point me to the correct video (preferred) or thread for this task for my phone? I don't care how much of a pain it is I will figure it out. I'm also terrified I can't do it because I've been hearing rubbish about the at&t version of this phone...

Im so frustrated. Isn't android based on linux? So why is everything so closed and proprietary? Open source being used to make money and force people to have one version of a program? Not having control over what I have on my device and being able to customize it how I choose to the point where I am forced into a new version of software I don't like? Oh and not to mention that I can't uninstall facebook and twitter which I don't use. I hate this. I loved my phone but this is making me so angry. This is the exact thing I HATE about certain electronics. I want to have things how I want them, it's mine. I'm picky. I like customizing all my things and having them to suit me. I'm a control freak with computers.... end rant.

Thank you very much for any help,
Nichyun
*flower bouquets for helpers*

Last edited:
Reactions: mehdifirefox

ThisWasATriumph

Aug 14, 2010
Detroit
Xiaomi Mi 9
Hello Everybody,

Im having a very frustrating experience. I just had my htc one x replaced by at&t after damaging the screen. I actually bought a new screen to put it on myself but when I was expressing nervousness about installing it (despite doing it fine before on a previous device) somebody else in my family called at&t and bought me a $99 replacement using the replacement plan as a present and a favor. It's the same exact physical phone as my old one, but things are different on it, and I don't like it. I figured out the issue is that the phone came shipped with HTC sense version of atleast 5 (found this by googling pics) while my old phone had 4. I like 4.. not 5.

Don't even get me started on why. Biggest thing is changing from 5 or 6 home pages to scroll through to only 3. I loved having the space. I never even used the app menu, haha.

Of course, looking it up now this seems to be a pain. Ive been sitting here for hours and this data is so hard to get through because of HTCs airheaded desicion to have 6 different phones with the same name. I feel like im going insane with contradictory info and google just not delivering due to the confusing names. I keep getting info for the desire x, too.

My main question is: I have an at&t htc one x and I need to downgrade to sense version 4. How do i do it, and can somebody point me to the correct video (preferred) or thread for this task for my phone? I don't care how much of a pain it is I will figure it out. I'm also terrified I can't do it because I've been hearing rubbish about the at&t version of this phone...

Im so frustrated. Isn't android based on linux? So why is everything so closed and proprietary? Open source being used to make money and force people to have one version of a program? Not having control over what I have on my device and being able to customize it how I choose to the point where I am forced into a new version of software I don't like? Oh and not to mention that I can't uninstall facebook and twitter which I don't use. I hate this. I loved my phone but this is making me so angry. This is the exact thing I HATE about certain electronics. I want to have things how I want them, it's mine. I'm picky. I like customizing all my things and having them to suit me. I'm a control freak with computers.... end rant.

Nichyun

I dont think you quite understand how android works. You dont need to use the Sense homescreen if you dont want to. Install Nova Launcher (or any launcher) from the Play Store and you can customize it however you want. Theres no way to downgrade Sense without rooting. As for uninstalling Facebook and Twitter, you should be able to "disable" them in Settings>Apps. If you truly want an open experience with Android, you will have to root and install CyanogenMod, PA, SlimKat or one of the many other custom ROMs available. However, it is not something you can just follow a simple video to do. I'm not even sure the latest AT&T software is rootable. Someone else will have to chime in there.

Nichyun

Aug 28, 2014
I dont think you quite understand how android works. You dont need to use the Sense homescreen if you dont want to. Install Nova Launcher (or any launcher) from the Play Store and you can customize it however you want. Theres no way to downgrade Sense without rooting. As for uninstalling Facebook and Twitter, you should be able to "disable" them in Settings>Apps. If you truly want an open experience with Android, you will have to root and install CyanogenMod, PA, SlimKat or one of the many other custom ROMs available. However, it is not something you can just follow a simple video to do. I'm not even sure the latest AT&T software is rootable. Someone else will have to chime in there.

I really dont get it, I guess thats why i posted here, ill admit that. Thanks for the info... I'll look into all of that. I don't want to try to root the phone though, I' rather get used to it, I suppose. I dont want to mess it up, not worth it. It is frustrating to me that I cant delete certain apps because they're really big and there is no sd card slot in this phone so I run out of memory. I feel like facebook and twitter is everywhere it pushes itself on people which bothers me...

I guess this question could be considered answered because I figured out I dont want to do it any more.

ThisWasATriumph

Aug 14, 2010
Detroit
Xiaomi Mi 9
I really dont get it, I guess thats why i posted here, ill admit that. Thanks for the info... I'll look into all of that. I don't want to try to root the phone though, I' rather get used to it, I suppose. I dont want to mess it up, not worth it. It is frustrating to me that I cant delete certain apps because they're really big and there is no sd card slot in this phone so I run out of memory. I feel like facebook and twitter is everywhere it pushes itself on people which bothers me...

I guess this question could be considered answered because I figured out I dont want to do it any more.

Apps installed on the phone do not take up your main phone storage. There are two separate disk partitions. The first one is ~2GB and holds your OS and applications. The second is ~10GB and holds your pictures, videos, external app data etc. Thats what an SD card would add on to if we had one. Installing more apps (that don't have extra parts, games often do for example) won't take up anymore of that space though. (however it is possible to install apps to the SD card) Anyways, like I said you can go into settings and "disable" any apps you don't want to show up in the app drawer anymore.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Everybody,

Nichyun