[HOW TO] Unlock bootloader, Root, Flash Custom ROM, Flash Kernel And More!

Search This thread

Oloruntoba

Feb 28, 2013
i tried rooting my htc one x, but

i tried rooting my htc one x, but the cmd that pops up says
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
error: device not found

C:\One_All-In-One_Kit_v\data>
what is the problem, please help me out,

jotic1991

Jun 1, 2015
CM12

I tried to install CM12 but when i step into fastboot, my computer doesn't read the phone.. than when i try to access it in cmd prompt, i can't.. any solution? Thanks a lot.

jeffnz

Jul 28, 2011
Auckland
Samsung Galaxy S20
just got my hands on an HTC One X so keen to root and play with rom's but every time I go to download the toolkit the One.exe is missing. If I try to search for the file all the downloads come up with warnings as being phishing sites, any thoughts, what am I doing wrong.

exquisite000

Jun 23, 2014
toolkit 2.5.2

@hasoon2000, the website http://hasoon2000.info/ expired and the download link is not available
I have version 2.5.2. This version i used last time and success. Hope it helps. :)

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

I'm getting "This connection is untrusted" trying to register at HTCdev.com. Anyone else had this? Should I continue to register?

you still encounter this issue?

Reactions: Whitest and epiteto

dauninno

Mar 26, 2016
Hello Hasoon.. My HOX is stuck in bootloop, stops on HTC logo then keeps rebooting, and it has a locked bootloader, stock recovery, no USB debugging option and no root therefore, so what can I do... Please help thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Post 1: How to unlock your bootloader, flash a recovery and root
    Post 2: How to flash a custom ROM and kernel (boot.img)
    Post 3: How to reverse everything and go back to stock
    Post 4: How to ADB Sideload a ROM

Alright. This is for everyone who wants to root their phone. I've seen MULTIPLE threads of the same question "Can I root my phone and How do I do it". So I hope I never have to see it again! In this tutorial, I use use my toolkit as the way to root. Doing it manually takes forever and that is why I made my toolkit.

Requirements:
    HTC One X (charged to at least 70%)
    Windows XP,Vista,7 (8 is not officially supported since I don't have the drivers)
    USB cable
    Ability to read and follow step-by-step
    Understanding that I am no way guaranteeing anything. If you screw up your phone, you probably didn't follow my steps and made a foolish mistake.

Let's begin.

Download my toolkit from here.

Link 1 and Link 2

Extract the FOLDER to your C: drive or to your desktop.

MAKE SURE YOUR DIRECTORY DOES NOT HAVE A PERIOD OR SPACE.

Open One X.exe

So now you have my program open. Great.

On your phone, go to Settings -> Developer Options and Enable USB Debugging.

From my toolkit, Click 1. Install HTC Drivers.

After the drivers install, restart your computer.

After your computer loads up, open my toolkit and connect your phone to the computer. Your phone should now be recognized.

Now, click 2. Register at HTCDev. Register with a VALID email address and LEAVE the web browser open.

Now, under the commands section of my toolkit, press Boot into Bootloader.

You should have a nice, white, shiny screen that says FASTBOOT USB.

Click 3. Get Token ID. Look at the pop up and it will tell you how to get the Token ID.

Highlight where it says < < < < Identifier Token Start > > > > all the way to < < < < < Identifier Token End > > > > > and right click and it will automatically copy it.

Now, click Submit Token ID. Your web browser should now open a new tab. Scroll down and in the empty box, paste your Token ID. Press submit. HTCDev now emailed you your unlock token.

Your phone should still be in the bootloader. Now, go to the email address you registered to HTCDev and DOWNLOAD your unlock_code.bin. Press 5. Unlock Bootloader. Locate your unlock_code.bin and it will flash it to your phone.

READ the warning. THIS WILL WIPE ALL YOUR DATA FROM THE PHONE.

When you agree to it, press the volume up button and press the power button to accept it. Your phone will now restart.

When your phone loads up, go through the set up wizard. Then, on your phone, go to Settings -> Developer Options and Enable USB Debugging.

Under the Extras section, press Perm Root. It will push SuperSU.zip to your phone.

Under commands, press Boot into Bootloader once again.

Now, it is time to flash a recovery.

TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) is a custom recovery that will allow you to flash custom ROMs, Mods, etc.

CWM (ClockWorkMod) is a custom recovery that will allow you to flash custom ROMs, Mods, etc.

I recommend TWRP and we will use it for this tutorial,

Select TWRP and press Flash Recovery.

After it flashes, remove the USB cable and have HBOOT selected in bootloader. Press the power button and it will reload to another screen. Press the Volume Down button until you get to Recovery. Press the power button to select it.

Go to Backup and back up your boot and system partition. Always have a back up before you flash or do anything.

After that, go to Install and locate SuperSU.zip. Click it and slide the screen on the bottom to flash it. After it flashes, reboot the phone.

In your app drawer (your menu with all the apps), open SuperSU. If it says the binary needs to be updated, then update it. If it doesn't, then you are fully rooted!
    Post 2: How to flash a custom ROM and kernel (boot.img)

The fun part! Now, I will teach you how to flash a ROM and boot.img

Find a ROM you like, the first thing you should do is make sure it is COMPATIBLE with your phone. If you find a ROM that is for AT&T (Evita) and you have the International model (Tegra3), don't be an idiot and flash it. I will not help you with that since you already agreed to my warning from the first post.

International models won't work on an AT&T HOX and Vice Versa.

Also, DO NOT ASK IF YOU CAN FLASH A ROM FROM ANOTHER DEVICE!

Will it work? NO! Will it ever work? NO! Can I flash it anyways? Brick your device, I don't care. I warned you.

Let's get back on task. So you found the ROM you want to try, so go ahead and download it. KEEP THE THREAD OPEN! MAKE SURE YOU READ EVERYTHING AND REREAD IT AGAIN! READ WHAT USERS SAID ABOUT IT AND ABOUT BUGS! GO AHEAD AND READ THE WHOLE ENTIRE THREAD! GAIN KNOWLEDGE!!

Connect your USB cable to your phone. View the folders on your phone. I like to make a folder called ROMs on my phone and transfer it in there.

After you transfer it, open my toolkit and press Boot into Recovery. When you are in TWRP, MAKE A BACKUP!!!

After you make a backup AKA a Nandroid, click Wipe. Wipe Cache, Dalvik, Factory Reset and System. NOTHING ELSE! If you click anything else, IT WILL WIPE YOUR SD CARD AND YOU WILL HAVE MORE ISSUES ON YOUR HEAD!

So you wiped everything. Great. Your phone is ROMless, Yay!

Now go back and press install. Go to the folder where the ROM you downloaded, is located in. Select the ROM and slide the screen to flash it. After it flashes, press the back button. Press Reboot and Reboot into bootloader. Open the ROM you downloaded from your computer. You should see boot.img. Extract it to your computer. Open my toolkit and press Flash a Kernel. Locate the boot.img and it will flash it.

After it flashes, press reboot from the phone.

Congrats! Enjoy your fully working or borked ROM! Remember, DO NOT ASK FOR ETAs, DO NOT BUG/PM A DEV ABOUT UPDATES, and BE RESPECTFUL TO THE DEVELOPERS!
    Post 3: How to reverse everything and go back to stock

Now, let's talk about getting back to stock. There are 2 ways to do this.

1. Flash the stock RUU (If available) (Recommended)
    2. Restore your Nandroid (backup that I told you to make earlier)

1. I'll talk about flashing the stock RUU first.

Go here and download the RUU.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1543604

Download the correct RUU for your phone.

Now, back up all your data (pictures, contacts, etc) since this will put your phone back to complete stock.

Connect the USB cable to your phone. Press Boot into Bootloader.

It should now say FASTBOOT USB on your screen.

Press Relock bootloader. It may give you a security warning error or it may say failed. Who cares, ignore it. It's normal.

Your phone will boot up normally.

When the phone is fully loaded. Unplug and replug the USB cable back in the phone. Now,run the RUU you downloaded and follow the instructions.

Your phone will be back to stock.

2. Now, we will talk about restoring your nandroid backup.

Connect your phone to the computer. Open up the folder to view the files on your phone.

From your computer, Go to TWRP -> BACKUPS -> (Your hardware Serial Number) -> (Folder you wish to restore to) -> and copy boot.emmc.win to your computer. Rename boot..emmc.win to boot.img

Open my toolkit and press boot into recovery.

Click Wipe. Wipe Cache, Dalvik, Factory Reset and System. NOTHING ELSE! If you click anything else, IT WILL WIPE YOUR SD CARD AND YOU WILL HAVE MORE ISSUES ON YOUR HEAD!

Press back and press Restore. Choose the backup to restore to.

After it finishes, press the back button. Press Reboot and select bootloader.

Open my toolkit and press Flash a Kernel. Locate the boot.img and it will flash it.

You are now back to your stock Nandroid.
    4. How to use ADB Sideload

You may have seen what ADB Sideload around the forums but have no idea what it is. Since the HOX does not have an SD card, it makes things harder when you have to flash a ROM.

Here's a scenario when we need to use ADB Sideload.
    1. You accidentally wiped your internal SD and have no ROM on your phone
    2. You wiped your ROM and forgot to transfer a custom ROM/have no backups(Nandroid) available.
    3, You have none of the above and there is no available RUU for your phone. <----- This is a real bummer.

Here are the steps to load on a ROM
    I placed TWRP in my toolkit for a reason. CWM does not support ADB Sideload (as far as I know) and TWRP does.

Boot into recovery manually. Turn your device off and hold the VOLUME DOWN + POWER button together until the BOOTLOADER pops up. Press the VOLUME DOWN button until you have selected RECOVERY. Press the POWER button to get into RECOVERY.

Connect the USB Cable to your phone and computer.

In TWRP, click "Advanced" and select ADB Sideload.

Download a ROM to your computer (if you haven't already done so). Rename it as one word. For example CM10.zip, QX.zip, ARHD.zip, etc.

In my toolkit, under the extras section, press ADB Sideload a ROM. Press "Yes" when it asks you if you are in recovery. Then select the ROM you want to install. It will then sideload it to your phone and flash it.

After it finishes, press the back button. Press Reboot and select bootloader.

Pull the boot.img from the zip file and extract it.

Open my toolkit and press Flash a Kernel. Locate the boot.img and it will flash it.

You now have a ROM on your phone!
    1 more, just in case.