[GUIDE] T-Mobile G2 2.3.4 official OTA manual update

Search This thread

Kilroy672

May 31, 2008
The Buckeye State
Anyone know how long it might take for someone to fully root OTA 2.3.4? I have been trying for days now trying to go back to 2.2 and no luck. Not saying that 2.3.4 isn't bad but just nice to have it rooted is all. My guess within 2- 4 weeks (crossing fingers). Any guesses? :D

temaleva

Aug 8, 2011
no GPS on 2.3.4 update

Just updated my G2 to 2.3.4 and got the same problem I have since I updated to leaked 2.3.3.
GPS is not working. Even no icon appears.
As I had to downgrade to 2.2 before move to 2.3.4 I checked GPS on Froyo and it was working perfectly.
As soon as I update today to 2.3.4 everything is working except GPS again.

rdmerck

Aug 17, 2010
Boston, MA
Anyone know how long it might take for someone to fully root OTA 2.3.4? I have been trying for days now trying to go back to 2.2 and no luck. Not saying that 2.3.4 isn't bad but just nice to have it rooted is all. My guess within 2- 4 weeks (crossing fingers). Any guesses? :D

See my post on the previous page. My 2.3.4 is fully rooted and works flawlessly.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Stargazer3777

Apr 13, 2010
Eagan, MN
Can anyone confirm if this update keeps data or wipes? I am moving the file over to my GF's Bone-Stock G2 now, and have no real way of backing up her data, as eh really wants to keep it stock. As it is an OTA update but manual, I am assuming it would not wipe data and apps, but want to make sure before it is too late.

Thanks in advance!

famous47

Oct 4, 2010
Just updated my G2 to 2.3.4 and got the same problem I have since I updated to leaked 2.3.3.
GPS is not working. Even no icon appears.
As I had to downgrade to 2.2 before move to 2.3.4 I checked GPS on Froyo and it was working perfectly.
As soon as I update today to 2.3.4 everything is working except GPS again.

I just updated from 2.2 to 2.3.4 and my GPS is not working either, guess I'll have to do without it. =/

MrWhsprs

Dec 22, 2010
Can anyone confirm if this update keeps data or wipes? I am moving the file over to my GF's Bone-Stock G2 now, and have no real way of backing up her data, as eh really wants to keep it stock. As it is an OTA update but manual, I am assuming it would not wipe data and apps, but want to make sure before it is too late.

Thanks in advance!
I applied this update last night to my wife's G2 and it kept all of her apps and settings (as far as I could tell in casually using it for maybe 30 minutes after the update). Her background wallpaper, icons and widgets, apps, data, all seemed to be there and be okay.

Can't guarantee that it will be that way for you but that was my experience. :)

gsvnet

Aug 24, 2007
NY
Just did the update - worked perfectly. GPS still works too, haven't noticed any issues. I noticed an improvement in holding onto 3G/"4G" signal as well.

chimmycham

Aug 9, 2011
Well, since this is the actual true Google file, I went ahead and followed the steps.
...could not have been any easier.
Now I'm just waitin to see whether of not my GPS is going to work.
I am assuming it is.

edit: awesome! everything works more quickly; more smoothly. Plus, GPS works just fine.

This was extremely easy, thank you to the OP.

I highly recommend anyone waiting on the OTA does this. It's extremely easy, works perfectly, and is the real thing.

Last edited:

wildcard26

Jun 11, 2008
Trinidad and Tobago
Just a side note and if anyone is still having issues with updating.

If you had to downgrade from the leaked 2.3.3 then you had to root. So when your phone goes to 2.2 it remains rooted. You can used the file in IV. (Optional) Flash the OTA Update of this article found here (http://theunlockr.com/2010/12/01/how-to-unroot-the-t-mobile-g2-htc-vision/) that will be the OTA that you re waiting for and will unroot your phone.
You can then go back to the first post and re attempt the update. I did that and it worked so hoped this helps future members.

s4michi

Aug 6, 2011
Are you on a G2? This won't install on a Desire Z. If you are on a G2, the update.zip file might be corrupted. Try to re-download and try to update again according to the instructions.

Yes, I am on a G2.
I think is more about being root or not than about the file being corrupted. Yet, I'll try now again.

graywolf316

Jan 31, 2011
Worked great and only took about 5 minutes to do on my stock 2.2 tmobile G2.

I actually went into a tmobile store and they whipped my phone and inserted their SD car...then said sorry we whipped your phone but these SD cards only work for the my-touch 4g...not the G2

After calling technical support it was confirmed there is no manual update for the G2...the only way to receive it is over the air (OTA)

Why on earth they have decided OTA is the only option is beyond me, but big thanks goes out to XDA for throwing the middle finger to t-mobile on this one.

ExDis

Jan 18, 2011
Southeast Florida
Used the steps in the OP and worked like a charm.

Only thing I've noticed is I have had about 5 spontaneous reboots, that I've noticed, since the update. I keep thinking I may have an application that's incompatible or something.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Thanks

chimmycham

Aug 9, 2011
Everything is working perfectly...

I have no idea why people are not doing this. It is the EXACT same thing as the OTA update, but you get it NOW.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There still seem to be a few people with problems so I thought I'd try to collect the steps and add a bit more info:

Notes

- So far this is only confirmed to work on full stock 2.2. For the leaked 2.3.3 you'll need to downgrade first; see this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1180733&highlight=temp+root+downgrade
    - The only confirmed root so far requires s-off BEFORE you follow this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1206930
    - I have had no reports of anyone doing this with anything other than 100% stock recovery, hboot, etc. Please let me know if you do try and what happens; I'll update this post.
    - Following this procedure will not wipe your apps or your data.

Steps

1. Download http://android.clients.google.com/p...MOUS_2.15.531.3-1.22.531.8_release_197463.zip and rename to update.zip. Turn off 'Hide extensions for known file types' and make sure it's not update.zip.zip!
    2. To verify your download didn't get corrupted, check its md5sum. It should match 3c7b0c2253f72f86b06d2c85b2c8c294 (you can get a dos tool to do this here: http://etree.org/md5com.html. Run cmd.exe and type md5sum.exe update.zip from a folder that contains both files) If your result doesn't match, download again.
    3. Place update.zip on the root of your SD card, not in any folders.
    4. Power down your phone.
    5. Press and hold both VOLUME DOWN and POWER until you get a menu
    6. You may not be able to navigate the menu yet. Wait for 10-15 seconds until it says it's checking some files, then automatically returns to the menu. Now you can use VOLUME UP/DOWN to choose menu options.
    7. Choose Recovery from the menu by highlighting with VOLUME UP/DOWN and pressing POWER.
    8. Wait until you get a picture of a phone with a red triangle and !
    9. Press & hold VOLUME UP, wait one second, then also press POWER. You should get a menu with blue text.
    10. You will see "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command" at the bottom of the screen. This is OK!
    11. Again with VOLUME UP/DOWN and POWER, select "Apply sdcard:update.zip"
    12. From this point, just wait until it tells you to reboot and choose that menu option. If you get any errors here, consult the troubleshooting below.
    13. There are several more automatic reboots and wait screens to go. Be patient!

Troubleshooting

- "E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such filler or directory)" - your file isn't named update.zip! Reboot your phone and use Astro or another file manager to make sure you've got the name right.
    - "E:failed to seek in /sdcard/update.zip (Invalid argument)" - your download probably got corrupted! Check the md5sum again, redownload, and try again!
    - "assertfailed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == tmobile/htc_vision/vision/vision:2.2/FRF91/277427:user/release-keys"" - you probably don't have the latest 2.2 that this update is designed to replace. You might be on 2.3.3 or possibly the original pre-wifi-calling 2.2. To fix this, downgrade from 2.3.3 or wait for the OTA to get the newer 2.2.
    Where exactly was this file obtained from?

hi is this the same one that is being sent out by tmobile ?

The download link is a direct link to the real upgrade file on google's servers.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App
    the differences were subtle at first, but i'm starting to LOVE 2.3.4.