Trident Kraken Series vs Otterbox

Search This thread

Peperm1nt

Jul 6, 2011
Matewan
I have the Kraken on my phone and all my friends have the otterbox(litterally everyone of them). I must say that I like the kraken far better because of why my case has been through and the condition it is currently in.

Im an EMT for an ambulance service in West Virginia. For those that have never been to WV, here is an overview: We have mountains everywhere, it rains A LOT! and the climate is very "muggy".

Now with that in consideration and the fact that I work on an Ambulance, My phone goes through a LOT! And ever since May 2011 I've had this case for my phone. And the case still looks pretty much BRAND NEW! The silicone hasn't worn out and become overlapping on the plastic vs the Otterbox, that my friends have, The silicone wrap is easily pulled out of place and looks "messy" constantly.

The case does make the phone look bigger compared to the otterbox, but If they are Side By Side, you can barely tell, and the Kraken has an extra "flare" that makes the phone actually look better. Overall this is a GREAT case and the holster for the device is amazing. I have yet for the phone to "pop out" unless the clip isnt secured correctly to my belt and the holster will come loose(but the phone stays in place).

I recommend this case to anyone with an x or x2. This case has saved my phone quite a few times and is probably the best 60 dollar(online) investment I've made for a phone.

peace

Reactions: three west

L2_n19h7m4r3

Aug 25, 2009
Trident Kraken does look like a great product, I debated when I got my defender... but Otterbox's customer service is second to none that's why I went with Otterbox.

reaktorblue

Aug 16, 2010
I probably would have given the Trident Kraken a serious consideration had I knew of its existence when I got my Otterbox.

I love the Otterbox but my only major complaint is the raised sides. It makes certain screen functions pretty rough, especially with Swype.

Also, the way the silicone wraps around the phone kind of bunches up at times and can irritate my OCD but, that's nothing major.

LordRalh3

Jul 23, 2011
Minnesota
I love my kraken, ill be using it on the x series as long as its continued, ive had 5 diff cases and none compare to the kraken

from my X2 roaming the north

Peperm1nt

Jul 6, 2011
Matewan
I probably would have given the Trident Kraken a serious consideration had I knew of its existence when I got my Otterbox.

I love the Otterbox but my only major complaint is the raised sides. It makes certain screen functions pretty rough, especially with Swype.

Also, the way the silicone wraps around the phone kind of bunches up at times and can irritate my OCD but, that's nothing major.

By bunch up do youmean like the silicone it's coming off? Like not tight enough? Of so, the Kraken has yet to do that.

Tapin' the Talk on the xSquared

Jeffmeister

Feb 8, 2010
Laredo, TX
I got an incipio case when I bought my X2 from the verizon store about a month ago in a bundle package.

It's like an otterbox knockoff, and the hard plastic part of the corner already cracked.

Ordered a Kraken II, its on its way and looks really nice!

Zues532

Feb 4, 2011
I've got an Otterbox Commuter on my X2. I hadn't heard of Trident until now, but the Kraken looks very similar to the Otterbox Defender series. Looks like a nice case either way.

I'm always blown away when every couple days I gingerly take the case off to flash something or do a battery pull and I realize how small this phone is. These cases are so huge!

reaktorblue

Aug 16, 2010
On the Otterbox Defender, from the screen to the actual top of the hard plastic case on all sides, its about 1/4 of an inch. How high is the Kraken II?

Thats probably one of my biggest complaints about the Otterbox. Using Swype becomes a small challenge with some words due to the raised sides around the entire screen with the Otterbox.

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota
My Kraken II showed up yesterday and there was a defect that wouldnt allow it to snap together on part. Dropped it from waist high last night and the top came unsnapped. That may be due to the defect though. Called Trident and a new one is on its way with a return shipping label.
It seems like it would be a tough unit. I work in manufacturing and know things happen and ship defective items on accident. So no bad thoughts toward Trident. Customer service was excellent.
Buttons work great on it too.

LaserChicken

Apr 27, 2010
My DX2 came with some cheap looking, thin Best Buy-ish case. I do a lot of traveling and found that when the signal was weak, taking the case off made a bit of a difference and improved the signal.

So my question, does this case seem to reduce your signal?

reaktorblue

Aug 16, 2010
My DX2 came with some cheap looking, thin Best Buy-ish case. I do a lot of traveling and found that when the signal was weak, taking the case off made a bit of a difference and improved the signal.

I'm not sure if your question is in regards to the Kraken II or the Otterbox however, I will say since I am using the Otterbox Defender, it does not impact my signal.

I'd like to get a Kraken II just to see which one I like more (I think I may actually like the Kraken II a bit more) mainly due to the built in kickstand.

Peperm1nt

Jul 6, 2011
Matewan
I got the Kraken original for the x, but It does not impact the signal at all.I've had this since early June. Only complaint was I had to cut the plastic off the sensor because the screen wouldn't come back up after a call. But you can't tell the difference...
Random tip:
If the screen protector gets oil under it (when you can see 'bubble'like stuff between screen and screen protector)...buff baby powder on the inside of the screen protector..wipe off and clean...then repeat about 4 times to get it back to 'normal'did this today and worked like a charm.

WasabiWa83

Inactive Recognized Themer
Nov 27, 2011
Rays Bay, FL
Kraken is the way to go. Trident just seems to have better stuff. I'm using the Aegis right now and love it. Dropped twice and no problems yet. Plus it's not very bulky. :)

Reactions: BreatheALittle

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota

I havent had any signal issues since I started using my Kraken and I live in the middle of nowhere with a poor signal to start.

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota
I have the Kraken on my phone and all my friends have the otterbox(litterally everyone of them). I must say that I like the kraken far better because of why my case has been through and the condition it is currently in.

Im an EMT for an ambulance service in West Virginia. For those that have never been to WV, here is an overview: We have mountains everywhere, it rains A LOT! and the climate is very "muggy".

Now with that in consideration and the fact that I work on an Ambulance, My phone goes through a LOT! And ever since May 2011 I've had this case for my phone. And the case still looks pretty much BRAND NEW! The silicone hasn't worn out and become overlapping on the plastic vs the Otterbox, that my friends have, The silicone wrap is easily pulled out of place and looks "messy" constantly.

The case does make the phone look bigger compared to the otterbox, but If they are Side By Side, you can barely tell, and the Kraken has an extra "flare" that makes the phone actually look better. Overall this is a GREAT case and the holster for the device is amazing. I have yet for the phone to "pop out" unless the clip isnt secured correctly to my belt and the holster will come loose(but the phone stays in place).

I recommend this case to anyone with an x or x2. This case has saved my phone quite a few times and is probably the best 60 dollar(online) investment I've made for a phone.

peace

Been dealing with customer support as my second Kraken II case doesnt snap together right. I saw today the Kraken for the X2 is no longer on their websiite either.

jbatacan

Mar 21, 2010
I got the Kraken original for the x, but It does not impact the signal at all.I've had this since early June. Only complaint was I had to cut the plastic off the sensor because the screen wouldn't come back up after a call. But you can't tell the difference...
Random tip:
If the screen protector gets oil under it (when you can see 'bubble'like stuff between screen and screen protector)...buff baby powder on the inside of the screen protector..wipe off and clean...then repeat about 4 times to get it back to 'normal'did this today and worked like a charm.

My kraken does the same thing, could you possibly send me a pic of what you trimmed? i havent been using mine lately because of it.

xtel

Dec 20, 2010
I'm pretty easy on my phones. Never drop or damage them. I un-necessarily put on the Incipio case about a month ago. Love it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

peace
    Kraken is the way to go. Trident just seems to have better stuff. I'm using the Aegis right now and love it. Dropped twice and no problems yet. Plus it's not very bulky. :)