Gs5 from t-mobile on att

Search This thread

tupirujp

Dec 18, 2010
How or where do I unlock one of these phone to use it on att network .. I'm on California .... help please .. the from from att has the lock s*****

risestar2

Jul 31, 2011
Buy the phone from T-Mobile, unlock it via on of the reliable online unlocking services, unlock the phone. If you have an existing AT&T account with LTE, its easy as slipping in the sim. If not, its a little trickier, AT&T will generally restrict non-AT&T phones to 3G/4G --> No LTE. If you are activating a new account, you will need to provide them an IMEI from an AT&T branded phone with LTE, they will then provision your account for LTE service. Some people use a fiends old AT&T LTE phone, or from another source.

How or where do I unlock one of these phone to use it on att network .. I'm on California .... help please .. the from from att has the lock s*****

rfb813

May 15, 2012
Winter Garden, FL
How or where do I unlock one of these phone to use it on att network .. I'm on California .... help please .. the from from att has the lock s*****[/QUOTE

Bought the S5 from Tmobile today and got home and went to cellunlocker (http://www.cellunlocker.net/). Within an hour I got the unlock code, slipped in my ATT sim, unlocked the phone, set the ATT APN and got 4G/LTE speeds. After that rooted and installed TWRP.

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
How or where do I unlock one of these phone to use it on att network .. I'm on California .... help please .. the from from att has the lock s*****[/QUOTE

Bought the S5 from Tmobile today and got home and went to cellunlocker (http://www.cellunlocker.net/). Within an hour I got the unlock code, slipped in my ATT sim, unlocked the phone, set the ATT APN and got 4G/LTE speeds. After that rooted and installed TWRP.

How is reception, LTE speeds? What was the cost of the phone before taxes? $660?

tupirujp

Dec 18, 2010

Tnkx you so much ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Buy the phone from T-Mobile, unlock it via on of the reliable online unlocking services, unlock the phone. If you have an existing AT&T account with LTE, its easy as slipping in the sim. If not, its a little trickier, AT&T will generally restrict non-AT&T phones to 3G/4G --> No LTE. If you are activating a new account, you will need to provide them an IMEI from an AT&T branded phone with LTE, they will then provision your account for LTE service. Some people use a fiends old AT&T LTE phone, or from another source.

Actually, it shows up as a SM-G900T and i do get LTE after i gave them my IMEI. you do, however, have to manually enter in the APN settings:

Name: ATT Phone
APN: phone
Proxy: not set
Port: Not set
Username: not set
Password: notset
server: not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
Multimedia message proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
Multimedia message port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 420
Authentication typw: None
APN type: default, supl, mms,hpri,fota
APN protocol: IPv4
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
Mobile vrtual network operator: not set

Last edited:

mocsab

Aug 16, 2011
West Milwaukee
www.shimmeringglass.com

I have a TMOBILE S5 - I didnt' want to wait for the "Free way" of unlocking a sim card so I purchased the code form a web site that offers this - there may be a free way to do this sometime soon - but I didn;t have the patience to wait - do a GOOGLE SEARCH - you'll find several that offer this service.

I have no restrictions on my phone - 3G/4G/LTE - awesome speeds on ATT LTE network - =

risestar2

Jul 31, 2011
If you have an existing AT&T account, its easy. The trickier part is if you are a new customer, the T-Mobile S5 IMEI wont be registered in their database as an LTE device, so it will default to non-LTE speeds.

Some people have had success with really helpful non-corporate AT&T stores at adding the non AT&T branded phone into the database, but most won't and so you need to get creative. You'd probably have better luck convincing an independent dealer to do this, like a mall kiosk etc. as they will want the commission from the activation. Some people have had luck using the IMEI from a demo phone at the store (Can be from any LTE device), or a friends old device etc.

The key is that it needs to be an AT&T branded LTE phone so your account can be correctly provisioned with LTE, otherwise you will be stuck in 4G land. Another way you can do it is also to call in later and switch the IMEI to an AT&T LTE device, get the account provisioned and then put the sim in the T-Mobile S5.

Actually, it shows up as a SM-G900T and i do get LTE after i gave them my IMEI. you do, however, have to manually enter in the APN settings:

If you have an existing AT&T account, its easy. The trickier part is if you are a new customer, the T-Mobile S5 IMEI wont be registered in their database as an LTE device, so it will default to non-LTE speeds.

Some people have had success with really helpful non-corporate AT&T stores at adding the non AT&T branded phone into the database, but most won't and so you need to get creative. You'd probably have better luck convincing an independent dealer to do this, like a mall kiosk etc. as they will want the commission from the activation. Some people have had luck using the IMEI from a demo phone at the store (Can be from any LTE device), or a friends old device etc.

The key is that it needs to be an AT&T branded LTE phone so your account can be correctly provisioned with LTE, otherwise you will be stuck in 4G land. Another way you can do it is also to call in later and switch the IMEI to an AT&T LTE device, get the account provisioned and then put the sim in the T-Mobile S5.

That's not true, it does register as an LTE device. i gave them my IMEI off the T-mobile Galaxy S5 and they added it to the biller, and then asked them what does it show up as in the biller, they read it off as a Samsung SM-G900T. not a Samsung SM-G900A. Heck, even my Nexus 5 shows up as it should as a LG D820, which is the model.

Jtrain88

Sep 27, 2012
Edgewood, Tx
Well just to let everyone know. I bought an unlock code from unlockfusion and 48 hours later it still hasn't arrived but I bought one from cellunlocker.net and my phone is now unlocked

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

risestar2

Jul 31, 2011
Yes, if they add your IMEI into their system, you are fine. Many stores and CSR's will not do this however, in which case you need to figure out a workaround. Stores are paid a higher commission for selling and activating a branded phone that they are for an unlocked off network device.

That's not true, it does register as an LTE device. i gave them my IMEI off the T-mobile Galaxy S5 and they added it to the biller, and then asked them what does it show up as in the biller, they read it off as a Samsung SM-G900T. not a Samsung SM-G900A. Heck, even my Nexus 5 shows up as it should as a LG D820, which is the model.

Yes, if they add your IMEI into their system, you are fine. Many stores and CSR's will not do this however, in which case you need to figure out a workaround. Stores are paid a higher commission for selling and activating a branded phone that they are for an unlocked off network device.

and I'm kinda surprised, BYOD is a very big thing right now. possibly just some shady reps or stores, CSR's should be able to do it with no issues.

artpena2323

Oct 22, 2009
T-Mobile S5

For this that are using the T-Mobile S5 on AT&T. Sounds like LTE and everything is working well. My question is, for this who have rooted and using different roms. Have you seen the lag go away? Is the phone a better experience. I love my M8 but I just love the thinner feel of the S5 but I cannot live without root and roms. Please help before I drop $650. LOL

devoidx

Mar 15, 2013
For this that are using the T-Mobile S5 on AT&T. Sounds like LTE and everything is working well. My question is, for this who have rooted and using different roms. Have you seen the lag go away? Is the phone a better experience. I love my M8 but I just love the thinner feel of the S5 but I cannot live without root and roms. Please help before I drop $650. LOL

Lol, what lag?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You don't need T-Mobile service to get the at&t unlock. For my T-Mobile note 3 I unlocked it for at&t with chainfire s app called region away. When I did it it didn't support KitKat but that was a few months ago. I'm sure its updated by now. There is a thread on here on how to do it.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

I have also used the cellunlocker.net and it works like a charm for about 25to 30 bucks I think it was.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Free mobile app
    Thank you for responding. I was just wondering since it's a tmobile phone on the att network what type of roms would I use if I wanted to flash roms....tmobile roms since it's a tmobile phone or att roms since it's operating on att network.

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Like I said, it works outright without the need to flash anything.

I am on AT&T with TMo based ROM. I used it on AT&T without evening rooting for a few days.

And if you want to flash, you could flash just about anything, as long as the ROM OP states that it supports the model (900T in this case).

Also, if a person's post helps you, you could simply hit the thanks button :)
    Well the band's are useless if you're using it on ATT though.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

People like me, who travel across countries, having many bands is actually more helpful, along with the ability to switch between types of data networks.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I'm in California. Just bought brand new S5 from t-mobile, question. ...on cellunlocker do I need to say that I'm in Canada or will they give me the code regardless? The dma info is throwing me....any "special" steps needed to get the code for a U.S resident?

Shouldn't matter. I unlocked mine with no issues.

I used cell unlocker

All I mentioned was that it was Samsung Galaxy S5, and that it needs to be unlocked.

Go to this link to go direct unlocking page.
    Under carrier select "all US networks".